Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Is Xcart a Good Fit To Build From?

X-Cart forums > Considering X-Cart > Considering using X-Cart for my project

Old 11-13-2016, 05:25 AM

Default Is Xcart a Good Fit To Build From?

Hello Guys,

This is my first post here and I have been working in the eCommerce industry for 21 years now, that doesn't necessarily make me a GURU per-say, but I do feel my knowledge base is fairly well balanced.

I'm wondering if XCart will fit my needs with some controlled customization to build out a project. I'm looking at other solutions as well. Many to consider in the marketplace today, including building my own from the ground up.

My main reasons to consider Xcart at all is the foundation, community, license model and support.

What I would like to see are demos of any custom admins and or front ends created by developers and designers. The base admin seems clean, but lacking many basic features for usability and speed of site management. Regardless of this, the foundation seems like a good start to build from.

The theme market seems somewhat limited and not many expansive options to choose from at this time. Most seem fairly basic and sorry to say somewhat canned and do not stand out from the rest.

Here are some of my requirements,

01. Site speed, I'm looking for a site that loads almost instantly, progressive loading of products as you scroll or instant pagination, so handling data caching will be key requirement, instant product filtering of search results as you click to see a filtered result of a search, clean and responsive UI /UX throughout the BE and FE. I see some people complaining of a slow loading site(s), this does concern me. I would like to know is it server environmental or has XC v5+ become somewhat bloated and thus requires heavy customization to create a fast loading site in both the BE and FE. In all cases my site will be heavy with products, filters, reviews, users, sales, orders, etc.

02. Flexibly to expand and grow the software foundation, would you consider the software to heavy weighted with modules and loading of those modules is what makes it slower, like some other heavy weight foundations. i.e. Magneto. What I'm after is more of a lightweight foundation that I can expand to my needs and fairly easy to expand for larger product sets, say 50,000+ skus, 100 filters per a sku with options per a product, rolled into 500+ categories, in some cases 2000+ products in one category. 500,000 orders, 1M users and so on. Can it scale or does is start to fail at a certain number set?

03. How does it handle B2B, B2C multi-channel sales at the same time, thru eBay and Amazon?

04. Can the checkout be customized without too much hassle? How well does is handle Fraud management? I see it works with MinFraud which is ok, but does have some false positive issues. It’s is fully PCI / DSS compliant, can it be made to standards?

05. Any known major issues, which really makes the solution hard to expand, foundation issues, bottlenecks? All software have built in issues, but some are very hard to resolve and some are more intuitive thus troubleshooting becomes easier. Is the documentation clear and up to date, unlike PayPal, eBay and many other larger bases I have worked with in the past?

6. How well does it handle batch processing, can you load say a product set of 500 products via a search then set a filter for that entire search set from the admin. Or can you apply batch sales to say 500 products at once from an admin search? Or can you move 250 products into a different category and or link a set of products to 100 other categories at one time all via an admin search tree?

07. Any known front end search engine issues, does it support simple schema?

08. How well can is handle automated language and or currency conversions? Yet set the admin to always to be set to one currency / language.

09. Permissions, can you set every function per a user, access rights per a module and or admin page.

10. CMS Management, see all orders per a registered user, can a user register with one click during checkout? Can a user reorder with ease; can they track their orders inline on the site? Can the admin apply credit and or sales / coupons per a set of users?

11. Reporting, products, sales, what’s popular, least sold skus, can you do a compound search then apply a sale to a set of least sold products for example? How is this handled?

This good start; feel free to reply with your thoughts or PM me a demo to your test environments for considerations.
Old 11-16-2016, 06:59 AM

Advanced Staff Users

X-Cart team

Default Re: Is Xcart a Good Fit To Build From?

Hello ingenuitor,

Yes, the speed of your website will depend on the server that you will be using both in terms of software and hardware. Believe it or not but we are still seeing PHP 5.3 and even 5.2 (mostly in installation error reports, of course, since neither are supported by 5.3.x branch). Sometimes these are limitations of the hosting company and sometimes people just do not think that updating PHP may bring significant boost in speed on its own. Adjusting some other settings may also help depending on the exact setup. Here is an article on Speeding up the store from our Knowledge Base that may give you a better idea.

That said, no matter how good your servers is, having 152K variants within one product would not be the best idea. In other words a lot would also depend on the exact setup that you are going to have. And based on that some coding optimizations may be in order.

As for the modules, you are absolutely right - all the enabled modules affect the speed of the store in some way. So it is highly recommended to disable or even delete all the unused ones. And sure you can develop your own modules with the functionality required for the specific project.

We do have ready-made integrations with both eBay https://market.x-cart.com/addons/ebay-integration.html and Amazon https://market.x-cart.com/addons/amazon-feeds.html and any other marketplace can be added integrated within custom development.
And with user memberships you can configure different pricing tiers and visibility of the products to different groups of customers.

Out of the box we have One Page and Fast Lane checkouts (defined in Store setup => Cart & checkout => Checkout type section). You can either customize one of the or create your own interface from scratch.

The platform itself does not touch credit card information at any point so it is out of PCI-DSS scope. And for Fraud protection we integrate with solutions from Kount and NoFraud through our intermediary PA-DSS certified X-Payments software.

We have been building ecommerce software for over fifteen years and X-Cart 5 is not just an upgraded version 4. It was written from scratch based on our previous experience. So if there are any bottle necks we are not aware of them. (If anyone can share some we would greatly appreciate that, so we could eliminate them) And here is the development documentation. If you require any clarifications, you can always create a thread in the dedicated section of this forum.

With Bulk Editing module you can perform various modifications to the search results. If you are missing certain setting, don't hesitate posting it into our Ideas portal.

Schema.org is supported through the Rich Google Search Results module and with CloudSearch service you can improve the default MySQL in-store search.

You can translate the store into as many languages as you like either with one of the ready-made modules or you can create your own.

Multiple currencies are, of course, also supported.

The platform already has a set of User Permissions and if needed it can be enlarged within custom development.

As for the customers, the sure can create an account during the checkout, track orders and and reorder products via their account. If paired with X-Payments and one of the payment methods that support tokenization they can even save their credit card information for further use in a PCI-compliant manner.

Could you, please, clarify what kind of credit you are looking to apply? Most likely the respective functionality is added with a stand-alone module like Loyalty Program.

Certain reports can be configured with an in-house module, some within Google Analytics and even more with the services integrated within Segment tool. Please, see this blog post for more details.
Old 11-18-2016, 04:53 AM

What is the best way to have a needs discussion and work out a quote for such, I have been trying to for months off and on and can't seem to get that correctly setup. Thank you....
Old 11-21-2016, 08:54 AM

Veteran

You can post in here - https://forum.x-cart.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23
Get replies, pick developer, take it from there.

You can also contact devs directly if you know who you want to work with. We all have some sort of contact form on our websites.
Old 11-21-2016, 08:58 PM

X-Guru

If you want the X-Cart staff to work on your project, please use the contact link on this page:
https://www.x-cart.com/custom-development.html

Also, there are good 3rd-party developers. If you want to let someone from them to handle the project you can post a request in the following forum thread (as Steve suggested):
https://forum.x-cart.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23

---

User manual Video tutorials X-Cart FAQ

You are welcome to press "Thanks" button
if you find this post useful

Click here to learn how to apply patches

X-Cart Extensions
Old 11-23-2016, 06:28 AM

Great to see some activity, I was starting to think X Cart would not be a good fit for my needs. I have contacted theme directly and it's super hard to work with someone via email only. Thanks again for the replies.
Old 11-23-2016, 12:16 PM

X-Man

Are you particularly looking at X-cart 4 or x-cart 5 too? I think that's a big question first to answer. They are completely different shopping carts (shouldn't really have the same name in my opinion).

X-cart 4 has been around a very long time and has more people supporting it right now. X-cart 5 is much newer and has some advantages.

We'd be happy to discuss which is a better option for you if you'd like to email us.

sales@

Thanks,

Carrie

We support X-cart versions 3.x through 5.x!

Home of the famous Authorize.net DPM & CIM Modules, Reward Points Module, Point of Sale module, Speed Booster modules and more!

Over 200 X-cart Mods available & Thousands of Customizations Since 2002 - bcsengineering.com

Please E-Mail us for questions/support!
Old 11-23-2016, 04:19 PM

Hello Carrie,

Version 4 or 5, but honestly, the UI / UX in 5 is closer to what I have already have in use over the years. But still missing many vital features / functions that I already have in place working on other platforms.

The key will be speed, flexibility, usability and ownership of the code base. What I really want to see is if anyone has really customized the admin and or front end way past the out of the box look, feel and functionalities.

So as far as framework goes, I can see how 4 would be better than 5 as it has a more real world usage case scenarios, whereas 5 is fairly new and still needs refined to achieve some of the same functions of 4.

Whats the real trade off between 4 and 5?

Do you have a custom test admin you can show me on 4 or 5?

Perhaps PM me? The current workflow in either 4 or 5 Ultimate is missing some vital production tools to handle large sets of sku's, mass filtering and has some other option I have zero interest in.

The entire market-place being one of them. I do not like the way the software needs to auto install a module.

So maybe 4 is better, if that is missing, I would rather have full control over modules and not take a chance of something going wrong that can and will break a production site. I'm not sure I like that feature at all for my needs.

CloudSearch and or X-Payments-Hosted is out for my needs, but I do want the same functions of what CloudSearch offers which can be programmed in, I see this as a standard in many solutions offered.

I'm digging more into the open source solutions to see what will work best for my current needs. Again all have some form of a trade off.

Other platforms are also on my radar, in all cases I'm looking to adapt XCart or another solid tried and true platform to handle larger more complex sku variations and the management of an end to end solution.

Thanks again for the reply
Old 11-27-2016, 03:55 PM

X-Man

Why don't you drop us an email and I'd be happy to discuss. Just address it to me when emailing sales@bcsengineering.com Much easier than forum PM's (I am almost at my max PM's too) as I only check the forums when I can. You are even more than welcome to copy your message below and I can comment from there.

Thanks,

Carrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingenuitor
Hello Carrie,

Version 4 or 5, but honestly, the UI / UX in 5 is closer to what I have already have in use over the years. But still missing many vital features / functions that I already have in place working on other platforms.

The key will be speed, flexibility, usability and ownership of the code base. What I really want to see is if anyone has really customized the admin and or front end way past the out of the box look, feel and functionalities.

So as far as framework goes, I can see how 4 would be better than 5 as it has a more real world usage case scenarios, whereas 5 is fairly new and still needs refined to achieve some of the same functions of 4.

Whats the real trade off between 4 and 5?

Do you have a custom test admin you can show me on 4 or 5?

Perhaps PM me? The current workflow in either 4 or 5 Ultimate is missing some vital production tools to handle large sets of sku's, mass filtering and has some other option I have zero interest in.

The entire market-place being one of them. I do not like the way the software needs to auto install a module.

So maybe 4 is better, if that is missing, I would rather have full control over modules and not take a chance of something going wrong that can and will break a production site. I'm not sure I like that feature at all for my needs.

CloudSearch and or X-Payments-Hosted is out for my needs, but I do want the same functions of what CloudSearch offers which can be programmed in, I see this as a standard in many solutions offered.

I'm digging more into the open source solutions to see what will work best for my current needs. Again all have some form of a trade off.

Other platforms are also on my radar, in all cases I'm looking to adapt XCart or another solid tried and true platform to handle larger more complex sku variations and the management of an end to end solution.

Thanks again for the reply

We support X-cart versions 3.x through 5.x!

Home of the famous Authorize.net DPM & CIM Modules, Reward Points Module, Point of Sale module, Speed Booster modules and more!

Over 200 X-cart Mods available & Thousands of Customizations Since 2002 - bcsengineering.com

Please E-Mail us for questions/support!
   X-Cart forums > Considering X-Cart > Considering using X-Cart for my project