Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

XC SEO v1.1.0 Released

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions

Old 09-28-2006, 02:47 AM

Default Re: XC SEO v1.1.0 Released

I already have the DSEFU mod, is there any benefit of switching to this mod?

Thanks.
X-AOM
X-Product Comparison
Old 09-28-2006, 04:45 AM

X-Wizard

Those ToDos all sound good. One additional thing:

-Verify that url being visited is a legit url, otherwise redirect to the legit url (to prevent duplicate content if someone changed a product title)
-Make lower-case urls optional in admin

Regarding sending bots to 401 for printable, I've tested the redirection by flagging myself as a bot, it works fine in my tests, no loop. Unless you're talking about more of a situation such as "the bot got redirected to the origin page, and tried to visit the print page again" type of thing, but that won't happen either, because if the bot is detected, the Print/Sort links are written differently for bots (if you're a bot, you will NOT see a Print/Sort url in the page content, the print/sort flags are removed, so the only time you would be redirected is if you followed some external link)

Good thought about the nofollow, noindex. That should be simple to implement, similar to the TITLE tag insertion
Old 09-28-2006, 06:35 AM

eXpert

Intel - Thanks for this!!!

If using 4.0.18, do we need to apply the following patch?

Code:
INSERT INTO xcart_modules (module_name, module_descr, active) VALUES ('XC_SEO','This module rewrites your website urls for Search Engine optimization.','Y');INSERT INTO xcart_config (name,comment,value,category,orderby,type,defvalue) VALUES ('xcseo_keyword_injection','Specify a keyword to inject into rewritten urls','','XC_SEO',10,'text','');INSERT INTO xcart_languages (code,name,value,topic) VALUES ('US','module_descr_XC_SEO','This module rewrites your website urls for Search Engine optimization.','Modules');INSERT INTO xcart_languages (code,name,value,topic) VALUES ('US','module_name_XC_SEO','XC SEO','Modules');INSERT INTO xcart_languages (code,name,value,topic) VALUES ('US','option_title_XC_SEO','XC SEO options','Options');INSERT INTO xcart_languages (code,name,value,topic) VALUES ('US','opt_xcseo_keyword_injection','Specify a keyword to inject into rewritten urls','Options');

If so,
1. Where do we do this?
2. Do we do it before installation or after installation?
Old 09-28-2006, 06:45 AM

X-Wizard

@ecommerce: my pleasure

Regarding the SQL patch, the SQL that you just referenced SHOULD be in the install documentation. Yes, that SQL needs to be executed (once) to ensure that XC SEO is installed into your X-Cart database. Be sure to follow the steps in the install docs, and refer back to this thread for the current Froogle fix. (on page 2 I believe)

@mrkenzie: I apologize, I missed your post. Another user has already switched from DSEFU to this mod, but I would not recommend switching just yet, otherwise users & search engines may experience issues accessing your products/categories (or they may even encounter duplicate content).

in the near future, I'll implement support for users migrating from the other SEO modifications, I'd suggest that you wait until then, so that you don't lose any PR for your site
Old 09-28-2006, 06:47 AM

eXpert

Will this mod in any way slow down the website?

If I donwload the addon today, do I still need to apply the patch for
4.0.18?
Old 09-28-2006, 09:53 AM

X-Wizard

As of the current release, 1.1.1, the install instructions are accurate, with the exception of the Froogle modification (which means you can ignore posts about the SQL patches being wrong). Please refer to page 2 of this thread for those details.

The installation instructions will tell you to apply 4 or 5 SQL commands, just follow the instructions and you should be fine.

Regarding the speed of websites, please check the first post to see sites that are running this modification. In my experience, any speed decrease is negligible.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:03 PM

eXpert

Default Re: [MODULE] XC SEO v1.1.1 Released

Quote:
Originally Posted by intel352
The XC SEO team is proud to announce the release of XC SEO version 1.1.1.
XC SEO is completely free, and licensed under the GNU GPL 2 license.
All code is versioned and available from our repository at:
http://code.google.com/p/x-cart-seo/

A zip of the release is available at the bottom of this post.
This release is for X-Cart 4.0.x and 4.1.x

As of this release, XC SEO now functions as an X-Cart module. Future development will continue down this path, and an Installer is currently in development.

==============================
Sites using XC SEO:==============================

Previous thread for XC SEO Lite release (XC SEO Lite has now been renamed to XC SEO)

When using the provided .htaccess file, please be aware of the RewriteBase directive, and change as needed.
Additionally, the catalog/ directory has a .htaccess file for redirecting catalog-generated urls, edit this as well if needed

A .htaccess file is included, it is recommended that you open the .htaccess file and COPY the contents into your existing .htaccess file.
Additionally, a default robots.txt has been included. The robots.txt file should be used with discretion and modified as needed for your own website.

Any incoming product/manufacturer/category/pages links are properly 301 redirected to their html alias, so any existing pagerank should be transferred properly.

================================================== =======

XC SEO functions similarly to DSEFU, in that it requires 0 template edits, and writes all Product/Manufacturer/Category/Static Page urls to .html page aliases: sitename.com/categoryname.html

In the near future, I intend to release a version that will function similar to the original XC SEO release (and similar to CDSEO), with the ability to rewrite urls using categories as folders: sitename.com/category1/category2/productname.html

--------------

Hello.

I tried to download this file but I get a error message: The compressed file is invalid or currupted.

Can you tell what I am doing wrong?

Jose

www.uncionmusic.com
Old 09-28-2006, 08:33 PM

Intel352 i have tried this on a unix server http://www.system-maintenance.com/maint/home.php and is OK, then i tried it on a NT server on another one of my sites at http://www.shisha.co.uk/shopcart/home.php and i am getting a 404 error when clicking on any product item or cat. I have turned this off in the module section at the moment as i dont want to loose any sales.

When turned on you can see the full path ending in html but once clicked goes to the 404 error (Page can not be displayed)

Has anyone else had this problem on a NT server ?

X-Cart 4.0.19
PHP 4.3.6
MySQL server 4.0.18-nt
MySQL client 3.23.49
Web server Microsoft-IIS/5.0
Operation system Windows
Perl 5.006001
XML parser (expat) 1.95.6

Shop carts at
http://www.nightscene.co.uk/shop/home.php
http://www.theshisha.net/shopcart/home.php
http://www.system-maintenance.com/maint/home.php
http://www.tabac4u.com
Old 09-28-2006, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShishaPipeUK
Intel352 i have tried this on a unix server http://www.system-maintenance.com/maint/home.php and is OK, then i tried it on a NT server on another one of my sites at http://www.shisha.co.uk/shopcart/home.php and i am getting a 404 error when clicking on any product item or cat. I have turned this off in the module section at the moment as i dont want to loose any sales.

When turned on you can see the full path ending in html but once clicked goes to the 404 error (Page can not be displayed)

Has anyone else had this problem on a NT server ?

X-Cart 4.0.19
PHP 4.3.6
MySQL server 4.0.18-nt
MySQL client 3.23.49
Web server Microsoft-IIS/5.0
Operation system Windows
Perl 5.006001
XML parser (expat) 1.95.6

The mod requires mod_rewrite which is an apache module. If you are using IIS it won't work.
Old 09-29-2006, 03:26 AM

Advanced Member

After installing this mod my catalog generator makes all my html files in 0 bytes.

Also my Embedded static pages and root static pages does not generate html or cant find them.
Get "You are not authorized to view this page".

On all my products I get this :

Gone
The requested resource
/product.php
is no longer available on this server and there is no forwarding address. Please remove all references to this resource.

fancy cat.
aom
sns
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions