Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

V4 - keeping first level subcategories viewable at all times

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions

Old 02-15-2005, 05:46 AM

I really like this mod Fernando did and implemented it on a site. Yet, we do have a problem with it in that once a customer gets to the products, no categories at all show up. I wonder if there is a way this could be written to show the subcategories of the root category where the products are located. Any ideas or help appreciated.

Zak
Version 4.0.11
Old 02-15-2005, 05:50 AM

BerGer

@mpj: please post your current status and some lines of code. Perhaps i can help you to solve the poblems.

@all: Is it possible to give out only the 1st category on each time in a new box?
Old 02-15-2005, 07:24 AM

Hi,

I'll check to see if the version posted here is up to date. If it isn't, I'll be glad to post the latest version later on.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:43 AM

fernando

your code works great! i implemented this with another mod and it IS exactly what I was looking for.

Had a real problem getting {parentid} and {categoryid}

many thanks.

- mpj

my code is still in beta so as soon as i get bugs out, i'll post and share with everyone.

{My simple mods}
Adding Market list and % save on product detail
Quantity input box
Old 02-24-2005, 07:07 AM

Advanced Member

Default Fernando's code

hi there! I have implemented Fernando's code too, and like it. I was wondering, though, if I can use that code to make my menu be expanded at all times. I would imagine it's a piece of that code, but I don't know what piece.

www.vidaville.com
Xcart Gold 4.0.16
platform - Windows
Old 02-24-2005, 07:56 AM

hi sonia,

you may want to look at this link

http://forum.x-cart.com/viewtopic.php?t=14905&highlight=subcategories

hth

- mpj

{My simple mods}
Adding Market list and % save on product detail
Quantity input box
Old 02-24-2005, 08:07 AM

Advanced Member

Actually, I did, but I don't want that one because the list is unordered. I want to maintain the POS order I've determined in the software.

www.vidaville.com
Xcart Gold 4.0.16
platform - Windows
Old 02-25-2005, 04:37 AM

Advanced Member

Okay, I'm still wrestling with this code, and to top it off my partner and I keep changing our minds as to how to approach the navigation for our site.

At the moment, I am using the famous "Fernando Code", but the sort order is by alphabet. I have tried various changes to the "include/categories.php" page (see http://forum.x-cart.com/viewtopic.php?t=11876&highlight=categories+php), but the subcategory menu continues to list in alphabetical order. I think I need to sort the order in his code somehow, but I don't know how. Here's his code again, added of course to categories.tpl:

Code:
{* Added by Fernando. Show first level of subcategories *} {if $current_category ne "" } {section name=subcat loop=$allcategories} {assign var=topmostcat value=$allcategories[subcat].categoryid_path|regex_replace:"/\/.*/":""} {assign var=current_category_top value=$current_category.categoryid_path|regex_replace:"/\/.*/":""} {if $current_category_top eq $topmostcat and $categories[cat_num].categoryid eq $topmostcat and $allcategories[subcat].parentid eq $topmostcat and $allcategories[subcat].categoryid ne $current_category_top} {$allcategories[subcat].category|truncate:20:"...":true} {/if} {/section} {/if} {* End added by Fernando *}

I'm thinking there's got to be code I can add to his that will allow me to sort the list by "order_by" (POS) instead. Can anyone help me with this?

www.vidaville.com
Xcart Gold 4.0.16
platform - Windows
Old 02-25-2005, 06:38 AM

Hi Sonia,

Unfortunately, Smarty doesn't have an array ordering function (I did look for this one when I wrote the code...).

There's two options as I see it:

1: modify categories.php so that the allcategories array is sorted by position (or probably better, create a sorted allcategories array clon and working with it from the .tpl)
2: create a smarty {sortarray} function. Perhaps a more drastic approach, but then again, a good way to contribute to a different project!!
Old 02-25-2005, 07:55 AM

Advanced Member

That would be me as a deer in headlights when it comes to smarty code, so I will have to think of something else for now.

Thanks, Fernando, both for supplying us all with that great code, and for responding now.

www.vidaville.com
Xcart Gold 4.0.16
platform - Windows
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions