Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

X-Cart v4 licensing and it's reusing in new businesses

Closed Thread
   X-Cart forums > News and Announcements

Old 01-22-2013, 06:43 PM

X-Man

Default Re: X-Cart v4 licensing and it's reusing in new businesses

My only concern would be the 3 licenses that I currently have in my user account that normally I would transfer to new X-Cart clients. I'm sure that Hands-on and QualiTeam can work something out however as we always have in the past decade of doing business together!

I'm in agreement with pretty much everyone that has commented here on this thread. It's actually one of the things that we had talked about in Chicago in 2012. I have always liked the idea of a "lifetime licence" but my $45 payment has come a LONG way As with other companies, they require a new license if you upgrade Major Versions, and I think moving forward into X-Cart Next and other future versions this will work out just fine. What I'd hate to see however is what happened with another popular shopping cart (BigC) and their SOLD product InterS****. They abandoned InterS completely and left everyone with active licences but no way to upgrade for the future. A tough lesson for any client who paid $1900 and then 3 months later finds out that the product is discontinued.

But I digress.....

I like the idea of the "one domain" where you can transfer it from subdomain or main domain, but I understand the "company license" or "user licence" end of things too.

Maybe the best is to make it non-transferrable altogether, but that's getting into company business.

Did I confuse everyone with my posting going in different directions? I did? Well then, I've done my job
Omaha SEO Office with National & Local SEO Services
Hourly Consulting - great for SEO Disaster Recovery, Audits and DIY Guidance

The following user thanks bigredseo for this useful post:
totaltec (01-25-2013)
Old 01-23-2013, 12:17 AM

X-Man

I have 4 licenses unused in my account too. I agree Conor, this is a problem. Personally if I would be QT, I will allow in such of situation only one license transfer for free. It is clear to all that if I do not have other domains I cannot use these licenses. Also, a blocked license is not generating any money for developers.
OS in use: Red Hat Enterprise, Fedora, CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Kali Linux
Ideas for Server configuration (basicaly): Nginx/Pound (reverse proxy), Apache/Nginx (webserver), Squid/Varnish (cache server), HHVM or (PHP-FPM + PHP 5.6 + opcache), MariaDB/Percona MySQL Server, Redis (storing sessions)

You can catch my ideas here: http://ideas.x-cart.com
Old 02-06-2013, 08:16 AM

X-Cart team

Thank you for all your notions, guys, they are much appreciated! Really interesting to read and contemplate the ideas. Hope they will help us all.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:18 PM

Veteran

No more news on this?

Recently I discovered something which I am not sure it is the right thing to do...

Let's say that I have XC Gold license store. Then I decide to purchase XC Gold+ upgrade. But then things fall apart or for whatever reason I don't use the Gold+ upgrade, no issues, no refund, I want to keep the Gold+.... QT sets my license to Gold+. If I move my store, or change domain or anything that requires to register the store again - the registration will fail - and I have to look at the ugly licensing message in admin even though the software was paid for. Reason - license is set at Gold+ but I am using Gold. According to QT there are 2 ways to fix this - either upgrade the store which may not be very suitable or could be very expensive OR tell them to change the license to Gold in which case I will lose the software for which I paid....

Am I right to think that this is not the way to do licensing?

If I purchased both products shouldn't I be allowed to use whichever I want at any time?

I have Win 7 Pro installed but also an upgrade to Win 8 sitting in a box waiting for better times...; I can install the upgrade and register it but I can also go bak to Win 7 if I want to and registered it as well - and I don;t have to give up the upgrade to Win 8 - I paid for it, I have the right to use it or not....

So any comments on this?
Old 02-23-2013, 08:03 PM

Advanced Member

This seems like Qt need to sit down and stream line their policies. This seems to be unfair to license holder unless there was a clear contractual out line stating that you would loose gold license for gold plus
Old 02-23-2013, 08:18 PM

X-Adept

it is very unfair, when i bought x-cart, you said we could change domain names free, no charge!!!

if you want to charge, can we stop using x-cart and you return money back?
www.loupesusa.com X-Cart Version: 4.7.11 GOLD PLUS
Old 02-23-2013, 08:21 PM

eXpert

i have about 10 x-cart gold licenses, all used at temperally domains.
it is unfare if we change domains and you charge again!!!

you should say clearly before we buy x-cart license!
Old 02-23-2013, 08:24 PM

i have bough about 10 x-cart licenses also. all used at temperally domain names also. if any customers want to buy my x-cart, and you charge me, that's really unfair!!!!!
Old 02-23-2013, 08:33 PM

if we transfer you can charge us a little. if just change domain name, pls do not charge!
Old 02-24-2013, 01:27 AM

X-Wizard

I feel I have to agree with what most here have said and add my small comment on this idea as well...

I (and I know others) do become very annoyed anytime they see Qualiteam trying to change the rules of licensing, after the fact (i.e. after the date of original purchase) - this is very deceptive and honestly not legal or binding on customers anyway.

If you feel your business can not be profitable enough ongoing without such new rules, then the best you can do, is to change the rules for (and ONLY for) totally new purchases of the product (not back-date and try to enforce rules onto customers who bought the product under different rules).
Remember you are the ones who choose the business model and offered the product license as you did - no one forced you to do that!

You are also very aware that in many cases, it is due to the very fact that there was no such rules (as those you have proposed or tried to sneak in after purchase over the years), that many customers here in fact did choose X-Cart as there online store solution.

This is indeed the case for us and all you achieve anytime you try a weak attempt at back-dating rules, is to alienate your existing customer base (those that are your best marketing tool) and give them the urge to move towards competitors in the future.

You should also know there is a general discussion among many of your established customers on really how greedy x-cart owners have become these days and therefore what solution should we as a group be looking to jump to for projects of any real size.
For many things are on balanced on a scale at the moment and any tip in this, will push them to run (and become your worst marketing force)!

Just some comments for your consideration...

Cheers - Asiaplay
   X-Cart forums > News and Announcements