Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Want to change thumbnail images from 100x100px to 150x150px for all products in bulk

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design

Old 11-12-2013, 09:49 PM

X-Adept

Default Want to change thumbnail images from 100x100px to 150x150px for all products in bulk

Hi,
I want to change previously uploaded 100x100 Px thumbnail images for all products in the store to 150x150 Px.

How can I do that in bulk without manually uploading the images again?

Have there any tolls so that this will be automatically re-sized to 150x150px?

Thanks,

Old 11-12-2013, 10:23 PM

Veteran

Default Re: Want to change thumbnail images from 100x100px to 150x150px for all products in bulk

You can resize 100x100 to 150x150 but the image will lose quality big time and will look blurry. You cannot do this from admin though.

You can re-upload thumbs with csv file or you can do regenerate one by one from admin or you can use this http://www.cflsystems.com/generate-thumbnails-in-bulk-for-x-cart.html

The following 2 users thank cflsystems for this useful post:
Learner (11-13-2013), totaltec (11-13-2013)
Old 11-14-2013, 04:38 AM

X-Adept

Default Re: Want to change thumbnail images from 100x100px to 150x150px for all products in bulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by cflsystems
You can resize 100x100 to 150x150 but the image will lose quality big time and will look blurry. You cannot do this from admin though.

You can re-upload thumbs with csv file or you can do regenerate one by one from admin or you can use this http://www.cflsystems.com/generate-thumbnails-in-bulk-for-x-cart.html

Thanks steve for your reply.But if I do this will it work?

If I change the values in the Maximum thumbnail width" and "Maximum thumbnail height", apply the changes, then go to admin tools.php immediately. I can see both Generate thumbnails button and the Force cache generation button.

Or If I purchase http://www.cflsystems.com/generate-thumbnails-in-bulk-for-x-cart.html then will it work automatically?

Old 11-14-2013, 08:25 AM

Veteran

No it doesn't work automatically. And the XC way doesn't work automatically. You have to run the script to do that. I have not used the XC one but I would assume it works as well
Old 01-06-2014, 12:44 AM

X-Adept

I wonder if old thumbnails will be deleted when they're not as they are re-generated.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:06 AM

X-Man

In my opinion this is a bug in XC4 behavior. It is not normal to change image sizes and not getting new resized images. Magento, Prestashop, Open Cart solved this issue many years ago. We change the layout not frequently, but we change it. In this case without XC native support I have to use a batch program to resize all my images and then upload them to the server. And here comes a new problem, image file names. For many years I promoted a way not changing file names for resized cache, I posted also this request in ideas. 5 years nobody took in consideration, what a shame.

This is not an idea, it is a bug (not the only one in functionality). Steve filled the gap with his own module.
OS in use: Red Hat Enterprise, Fedora, CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Kali Linux
Ideas for Server configuration (basicaly): Nginx/Pound (reverse proxy), Apache/Nginx (webserver), Squid/Varnish (cache server), HHVM or (PHP-FPM + PHP 5.6 + opcache), MariaDB/Percona MySQL Server, Redis (storing sessions)

You can catch my ideas here: http://ideas.x-cart.com
Old 01-06-2014, 03:04 AM

X-Adept

In my opinion XC lacks so many simple and basic features. Just think of how bad images like 209226%.jpg are bad for SEO, not to mention that it would make sense to use the existing image name instead of creating such a messy name.

I agree that some features need custom modules but so many really basic and simple features are completely missing and not working. A program is very user-unfriendly if you always have to use a mod or another program and then import/export stuff. It's 2014 and not 2004.

I mean common, you need to pay to get a working mailchimp connection because the integrated one is not working. Then this 5000 lines of messy CSS code. I know this is off-topic but I just wanted to say this.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:24 AM

X-Man

just do a search inside ideas.x-cart.com to see how many requests I posted for XC in my 6 years with this cart. there is a thread about resizing images started by me also, talking about bad SEO to images and not good resize function. talinkg about magento it is not altering file names, it has a great resize() function. if you want to replace the thumbs you are not agree with them it is so easy. as I mentioned, you can use Photoshop to batch your files and apply some unsharp filter, then you can upload in a directory called media/catalog/cache/1/140x/ajsldkfjasjfdkj/f/i your files. do this with XC, you just can't.

I never said a word about multiple images upload. XC4 is file by file waiting centuries and magento is one step (select your files with Ctrl, push upload and done).

My experience with Magento in the last 6 months is related to some posts here and the most important place ideas.x-cart.com. If you agree them just vote. I just wanted to have the best shopping cart on the market that can be easy to compare with others.
OS in use: Red Hat Enterprise, Fedora, CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Kali Linux
Ideas for Server configuration (basicaly): Nginx/Pound (reverse proxy), Apache/Nginx (webserver), Squid/Varnish (cache server), HHVM or (PHP-FPM + PHP 5.6 + opcache), MariaDB/Percona MySQL Server, Redis (storing sessions)

You can catch my ideas here: http://ideas.x-cart.com
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design