Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Customizing the skin: the second webinar for X-Cart 5 developers on April, 10th

X-Cart forums > News and Announcements

Old 04-10-2014, 07:11 AM

X-Guru

Default Re: Customizing the skin: the second webinar for X-Cart 5 developers on April, 10th

Its not on for me either. Don't know what the problem is. Oh, there it goes.
Mike White - Now Accepting new clients and projects! Work with the best, get a US based development team for just $125 an hour. Call 1-502-773-6454, email mike at babymonkeystudios.com, or skype b8bym0nkey

XcartGuru
X-cart Tutorials | X-cart 5 Tutorials

Check out the responsive template for X-cart.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:12 AM

X-Adept

Default Re: Customizing the skin: the second webinar for X-Cart 5 developers on April, 10th

it has just started

Ultimate 5.4 testing
Old 04-10-2014, 11:50 AM

X-Guru

I think Carrie pointed out an important subject for module developers. Other developers could easily overwrite your changes, causing a conflict. I don't know how to solve this issue, but it is important that we resolve conflicts if they do come up.

One thing that may be obvious but I wanted to mention regardless: When the cache is built, all the controllers are copied into the main controller directories. So if I have an admin controller named DropDown, and then another dev names her controller the same way, we are going to have an issue. Then there will be name-calling and finger-pointing...

Perhaps others are already doing so, but I think we should preface our controller names with our developer code. Like Controller\Admin\BCSESuperCoolMod.php.

Or is this not necessary? Is it handled some other way that I don't yet know of?
Mike White - Now Accepting new clients and projects! Work with the best, get a US based development team for just $125 an hour. Call 1-502-773-6454, email mike at babymonkeystudios.com, or skype b8bym0nkey

XcartGuru

Old 04-10-2014, 12:18 PM

Veteran

Isn't why the dev name is required and all modules by one company are hold within same main directory? With namespaces using same.
So for example

/classes/XLite/Module/CDev/GoogleAnalytics/View/Header.php

and

/classes/XLite/Module/XC/Mobile/View/Header.php

will both exists. Of course in the case of

/classes/XLite/Module/CDev/GoogleAnalytics/View/Header.php

and

/classes/XLite/Module/XXX/GoogleAnalytics/View/Header.php

one will overwrite the other but what is the point of anyone having 2 modules that do the exact same thing? You purchase and install only one of them - whichever you think is best for your store, right...

Tony - explanation?

The following user thanks cflsystems for this useful post:
totaltec (04-10-2014)
Old 04-10-2014, 12:48 PM

X-Cart team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cflsystems
Tony - explanation?

Tony is about to leave for vacations. Greece, sea, sand...

Let's 'freeze' this thread till he comes back from his hot vacations and melts the 'ice'.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:53 PM

X-Guru

Steve,
That is what I understood as well, the developer name would separate modules and files that were named the same. But, if you look in var/run/classes/XLite/Controller/Admin you will see all of the module controller files have been copied there. So if you write a module with a controller named Menu, and I do the same, I believe one would be overwritten or cause an error.

I guess I just need to test this theory...

XcartGuru

Old 04-10-2014, 12:58 PM

Veteran

Well I don't know about that, so yes probably best to test....

Oh man vacation... wish I could go... What was that again - vacation? Some sort of animal?

Have a great time Tony

The following 2 users thank cflsystems for this useful post:
Ksenia (04-11-2014), totaltec (04-10-2014)
Old 04-10-2014, 12:59 PM

X-Guru

Steve,

If you extend a class with the idecorator interface, and it has a function called someFunction() that you want to modify, the proper way to modify it is like this:

Code:
objFunc() { parent::objFunc(); .. new code here .. }

That makes it work independently of what ever the parent class does.

But if you copy and paste the function from the parent and then modify it in your own file, that will undo any changes anyone else makes. Since you aren't extending it but replacing it.

Not sure if X-cart can do anything about it though. People just need to make sure they are coding properly.

Carrie

We support X-cart versions 3.x through 5.x!

Home of the famous Authorize.net DPM & CIM Modules, Reward Points Module, Point of Sale module, Speed Booster modules and more!

Over 200 X-cart Mods available & Thousands of Customizations Since 2002 - bcsengineering.com

Please E-Mail us for questions/support!

The following 2 users thank BCSE for this useful post:
cflsystems (04-10-2014), totaltec (04-10-2014)
Old 04-10-2014, 01:09 PM

Veteran

Yes I think this is how all the code in XC5 does it - so not to overwrite already defined things.
It does come to proper coding yes. There is nothing wrong with classes having unique prefix whether this is company name or whatever... and I for one am trying to create a pattern for CFL Systems.... besides the directory name. But at the same time you cannot re-declare functions or classes right...

The following user thanks cflsystems for this useful post:
tony_sologubov (05-06-2014)
Old 04-10-2014, 01:26 PM

X-Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cflsystems
Oh man vacation... wish I could go... What was that again - vacation? Some sort of animal?
I had to look that one up. Sounds like an interesting concept...

va╥ca╥tion
vāˈkāSHən,və-
noun
1. an extended period of recreation, esp. one spent away from home or in traveling.
"he took a vacation in the south of France"
synonyms: break, time off, recess, leave, leave of absence, furlough, sabbatical, spring break;

Enjoy your time off Tony, thanks for all you do.

XcartGuru

X-Cart forums > News and Announcements