Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

X-Cart Next 1.2.4 is released

X-Cart forums > News and Announcements

Old 07-11-2013, 10:42 AM

X-Cart team

Default Re: X-Cart Next 1.2.4 is released

OK, so basically your idea is to add "Please select your option.." option to all select-boxes and do not allow the product with this option to be added to the cart. Right?

It makes sense to me and I will report this feature request to the team.

Thanks guys for the insight!
Old 07-11-2013, 10:59 AM

X-Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_sologubov
OK, so basically your idea is to add "Please select your option.." option to all select-boxes and do not allow the product with this option to be added to the cart. Right?

It makes sense to me and I will report this feature request to the team.

Thanks guys for the insight!

X-Cart has had this feature for a long time... but javascript was required.

http://help.x-cart.com/index.php?title=X-Cart:Product_Options#How_to_prohibit_customers_fro m_adding_a_pr...select ion.3F

Now, there are situations where there is a default product, and the options are optional - but in the case of apparel, "what color do you want" should not be a default.

At the very least, this should be an setting for the merchant, and not require javascript.

The type of product will determine if the customer should be FORCED to select an option or not. For example, the poor man's configurator:

default item: computer with 4gb ram; option +$100, 8gb ram; option +$150 16gb ram

So in this case, the default version would be acceptable, maybe.

The design of your software should permit the merchant to determine of they want to force the option validation or not.

The following 2 users thank carpeperdiem for this useful post:
gb2world (07-11-2013), xplorer (07-17-2013)
Old 07-17-2013, 11:45 PM

X-Cart team

Tony is on a trip currently, so I will hack into this thread

Thank you guys for your feedback!

I agree with you and believe that "Please select..." option is "must have" for most shops selling product variations. We will definitely add it.

However, the whole options/variations thing is so complex that I think we may not hurry there and should implement it step by step.

The first step will be getting rid of the weird Product Options module which X-Cart Next got from its predecessor (LiteCommerce 2). While we are getting the new Product Options ready for you to test (it is almost ready for alpha testing), I want to share some early mock ups (i.e. this won't look exactly like this) with you:

1. We are going to mix product attributes ("extra fields") with product options (so that customers could filter products by the fields) and let the merchant have "global" fields and fields specific for some product types: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28404688/mockups/options/attributes-and-options.png

2. Product variants are made from fields (attributes) which the merchant configures as options for the product. The merchant can either generate all possible variations with a single click, or add them one by one: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28404688/mockups/options/variants.png

3. This is how options will appear on the product page: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28404688/mockups/options/product.png

I will be happy to hear your thoughts on this and add improvements to our development plan for future versions.

Thank you in advance!

The following user thanks xplorer for this useful post:
ADDISON (07-18-2013)
Old 07-18-2013, 01:43 AM

X-Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_sologubov
Oh yes, sure, it will be added as Google Wallet. I have corrected Roadmap now. Thanks for spotting it out.

Google Wallet for Merchants is US only. No use for the UK.
Dedicated SSL

Old 07-18-2013, 02:11 AM

X-Guru

Vyacheslav,

In addition to

PRICE
SKU
QTY

a 4th field PER VARIANT is required: "BARCODE" - UPC/EAN or whatever barcode format the merchant uses.

1. All the major shopping channels (amazon, ebay, rakuten, etc...) require a UPC or EAN per variant;
2. Any possible use of the cart for POS (point of sale) will demand a barcode associated with each variant;

The reason the barcode field must be different than the sku: can you remember the barcode # of an item? I can remember the sku of every item in my store because we use abbreviations and numbers for size and color. MLH12 is easy to understand, 899711001076 is not!

I know some merchants have added this as a customization to xcart -- it really should be stock. It's gonna be WAY easier for you to do this now, vs. individual merchants attempt to do it later.

Thanks,
J

The following user thanks carpeperdiem for this useful post:
xplorer (07-18-2013)
Old 07-18-2013, 10:26 AM

Veteran

Better yet consider extra fields type thing for variants. Different merchants/businesses need different fields.

Some want to have list price / sale price - just like the main product has it. And it is very much logical that the main product list price cannot be applied to variants

Some what to have cost field to track revenue.

The following 2 users thank cflsystems for this useful post:
carpeperdiem (07-18-2013), xplorer (07-22-2013)
Old 08-01-2013, 11:16 AM

X-Cart team

Hi guys!

Thanks a lot for your feedback. It is really important to us. Actually, it is amazing when we share info about our plans and you give us so much insight about functionality we are just going to add.
   X-Cart forums > News and Announcements