Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

X-Cart 4.0.9 released

X-Cart forums > News and Announcements

Old 12-27-2004, 09:19 AM

X-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManFromDet
I've been using X-Cart since June or July, 2003. 4.0.9 will be my third version used "live". Rather than perform periodic upgrades, I've stuck with what seems to be a stable version at the time and ran with it until newer (stable) versions were released.

I've never been brave enough to perform periodic upgrades. That would've meant spending more time maintaining software rather than concentrating on my buisiness. I simply (clean) install the newer version on a different server, configure and customize, move my data, and then transfer my domain with the host.

Any other strategy for my business - as it is, specifically using X-Cart - would do more harm than good.
Good post. Another thing to remember, is that you should buy/use the features you NEED. X-Cart is constantly evolving and trying to keep up with the upgrade cycle or feature releases take away from our bottom line. Making money. It's not about how good you look, it's about how much money you are lining your purse/wallet with.

I specifically skipped the 3.5 version because of stability issues. I would recommend to any newbies reading this to wait until 4.1 is released and then install the latest version of 4.0. The qty of changes in the changelog in this version (4.0) are still way too many in my opinion to consider this remotely stable.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:25 PM

X-Wizard

Default 4.0.9 - Seems ready...

I am in the middle of making the jump from 3.5.14, and also at the same time go to dedicated server. I have freshly installed 4.0.9 on it, while continuing to take orders at old host on 3.5.14. Installation went very smooth. When it's done, I'll simply switch DNS.

So far, I haven't encountered any bugs and it seems quite stable, but haven't put it "live" yet. About the only gripe I have is having to completely rebuild all the products and data. I REALLY need customer data from old version in this verson - this will cost me money. If anyone has any suggestions there, "I'm all ears." Firetanks - maybe you should build a migration tool? I know I'd pay for that.

All in all - this 4.0.9 seems like it's ready to go. Lots of nice features. We'll see...
Apache 2.4
CENTOS 7.8 64Bit Single Quad-Core E3-1241v3 3.4Ghz 8M 1600 w/ HT
32GB RAM 2x 512GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD RAID 1
Old 12-29-2004, 04:37 PM

eXpert

I'm also getting "FAILED" orders and I am only running in 3.3.*! (with all the security updates installed)

I also never got these until about a month ago. And now all the orders are coming up like that. The payments are coming through fine, but getting order status as "failed".

I am thinking it's related to the fact they are all PayPal payments and PayPal has been down a lot. But on the other hand, I am suspicious that it's related to xcart itself (compatibility with the latest php versions or something). <Not a webmaster>
Old 12-29-2004, 05:42 PM

X-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot
My Favorites: Xcart, Ewdhosting, Shan & Boomer
I was gunna post about PayPal and then I saw your sig and now my self-esteem is crushed.
Old 12-29-2004, 06:55 PM

Advanced Member

Default stable 4.x

still waiting patiently for a stable 4.x I'm hoping for a january release? but I dont remember reading anything definately on the boards... I desperately need to ditch my old modified custom version of 3.x
Old 12-31-2004, 01:26 AM

X-Adept

Default 4.0.9 is plain broken and worthless.

If 4.0.9 seems stable to you, it isn't!

The minute I started using product exports and imports and the affiliates mod. things have started to go wrong. These were things that previously had worked fine.

I could post in the bugs forum (and I have), but if anyone thinks 4.1 is going to be stable when 4.0.9 is flat broke, then I'm a very happy camper with my X-Cart software .....

Be sure to actually use the software, as you would have to be insane to turn a 4.x cart over to someone who thinks a command line is an artists' tool. I'd say that if you aren't ready to surrender your life to a piece of software then you should definitely consider just selling on ebay, amazon zShops and Yahoo shopping. They all have real programmers who help you sell your goods.

Running an X-cart store is for the birds ... who should all start flying away!!!!!!!

- mike

PS - Sorry if that's too straight forward, you would be frustrated too if your site was up and running beautfully until it broke on New Year's eve (tonight in Australia).
Old 01-01-2005, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpboss
I'm sorry that you judge my posts unnecessary. We will have to chalk this up to a difference of opinion.

Feel free to skim past them.

I actually find them usefu,l adpboss is one thee top involved and very knowledgeable contributers to xcart in this forum. I can fully understand his frustration. And I find it encouraging that in him there is at least one voice that is not too timid to voice an opinion with very valid points. We are customers of this software product and should expect excellence. I know I'm still waiting for a stable version of xcart as promised. The sad truth is that adpboss's frustration is mirrored by many in this forum. He is always concise and reserved in his critisism though. There has been some communication from verbic and others in regards to a resolution and game plan I'm still waiting to see if they will have anything come to fruition. I find it odd that the "stable" version of this software the version # keeps climbing in an endless cycle, which makes it hard to model your store around at least a semi-up-to-date software build. Just thought I'd say my two cents as I've learned plenty from the genorosity and time spent by ADPBoss.
Old 01-10-2005, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot
I'm also getting "FAILED" orders and I am only running in 3.3.*! (with all the security updates installed)

I also never got these until about a month ago. And now all the orders are coming up like that. The payments are coming through fine, but getting order status as "failed".

I am thinking it's related to the fact they are all PayPal payments and PayPal has been down a lot. But on the other hand, I am suspicious that it's related to xcart itself (compatibility with the latest php versions or something). <Not a webmaster>

I've been getting the same (I'm running 3.5, however). Not all orders, but quite a few end up telling the customer that the order has failed even though their accounts are debited. I have to go in and set the order as processed by hand.

So... still no stable version 4, huh? It really has been an awfully long time, I must say.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:37 AM

Advanced Member

It has been a couple weeks and no new update for x-cart? I am starting to worry. I am used to doing an upgrade every couple of days...
Old 01-11-2005, 01:17 PM

X-Adept

The holidays ....

- m.
   X-Cart forums > News and Announcements