Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Better reviews: City, State instead of email address

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions

Old 12-26-2005, 11:49 AM

Default Better reviews: City, State instead of email address

Hi.

Normally the add review box on every product page lists a logged in customer's username and email address in the name box by default.

This can earn reviwers who don't edit out their email lots of spam and other unwanted email, so I stripped that out.

In lieu of that, I added the customer's city and state.

Generally, all good reviews or testimonials include a city and state. It's adds some reality to the review that helps viewers see the review as real and also understand the context of it. ("Oh, Larry is from Seattle. I've been there, and I can understand that. That makes sense")

It's a good thing as all top copywriters (ad writers) have the inclusion of place to add to sales conversion.

Here's how to do it

Open up skin1/modules/Customer_Reviews/reviews.tpl

Find

Code:
<TD width="30%"> {$lng.lbl_your_name}:</TD><TD> <INPUT type="text" size="24" name="review_author" {if $login ne ""}value="{$customer_info.firstname} {$customer_info.lastname} ({$customer_info.email})"{/if}></TD></TR>

Your new code will look like this:

Code:
<TD width="30%"> {$lng.lbl_your_name}:</TD><TD> <INPUT type="text" size="24" name="review_author" {if $login ne ""}value="{$customer_info.firstname} {$customer_info.lastname} ({$customer_info.b_city}, {$customer_info.b_state})"{/if}></TD></TR>

I have 4.0.17, so your version may be a little different.

Basically, you find change {$customer_info.email} to {$customer_info.b_city}, {$customer_info.b_state}. That should be version independent.

In the future, it may also be nice to add date stamping to reviews. Again, another bit of reality that can act as a "convincer" to the shopper, as well as another context clue to help understand the relevancy of the review to them.
BCSE: Referral Pts-Surveys-BatchUp-OrderEZ- Reviews-RSS
FT: Glossary-OptCopt-AdvSrch-Recently Viewed-Also Bought
CM: eZConversion
XP: SalesRecovery, MultCrncy
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions