Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Do we need X-Payments?

X-Cart forums > X-Payments > X-Payments issues & questions

Old 10-15-2012, 11:38 AM

X-Guru

Default Re: Do we need X-Payments?

We have the Authorize.net CIM module available for a while now if you are still interested in it. Many banks accept this as a way to take X-cart out of the scope of the harder PCI questionnaires. We haven't run into one yet that didn't accept this or our Authorize.net DPM solution as something viable for ease of PCI compliance.

http://www.bcsengineering.com/store/authorize.net-cim-module.html?MMCF_xfCIM

Carrie

We support X-cart versions 3.x through 5.x!

Home of the famous Authorize.net DPM & CIM Modules, Reward Points Module, Point of Sale module, Speed Booster modules and more!

Over 200 X-cart Mods available & Thousands of Customizations Since 2002 - bcsengineering.com

Please E-Mail us for questions/support!
Old 01-09-2013, 07:25 AM

On this same note about needing x-payments, I have a client with 2 websites:

1. Website No. 1 = x-cart gold v4.4.5 - client has this past week set up PayPal Pro/ Payflow and website has been checked and approved by an account manager at PayPal, and is now taking credit cards on the website. The client simply configured the payment settings himself after sorting out the PayPal pro account. Note he has not got x-payments (or its new version) in place.

I was under the impression that with any x-cart version, you need x-payments in place for taking cards on the website.

2. Website No. 2, created after website No. 1 and was using v4.5.3 but upgraded yesterday to 4.5.4 - client now wants to take cards on that site too, but finds he can't without purchasing and installing x-cart payments. Same PayPal person assured him he should be able to take cards on the No. 2 site without doing anything further. ie n o mention of x-payments by PayPal.

First question, why is website no. 1 functioning correctly and thus allowed to take payments on site without x-payment being installed?

The client thinks that the best and cheapest option, based on website no. 1 working fine and being approved by Paypal, is to now install x-cart 4.4.5 software to website No. 2 so he can circumvent having to get x-payments - is that possible?
Old 01-09-2013, 07:32 AM

X-Guru

If your payment processor is happy with the setup, than you are probably OK. It is up to the merchant services provider to enforce the PCI Compliance rules.

However if a breach occurs, and cardholder data is compromised, you may still be liable for fines.

It is not your problem really, it sounds like you have recommended the best options to your client, if they want to flirt with danger than it is their choice. I would simply do what the client asked, after warning them that it is not the best way. I have clients that still store card holder data directly on their server, and process cards offline! Unbelievable!
Mike White - Now Accepting new clients and projects! Work with the best, get a US based development team for just $125 an hour. Call 1-502-773-6454, email mike at babymonkeystudios.com, or skype b8bym0nkey

XcartGuru
X-cart Tutorials | X-cart 5 Tutorials

Check out the responsive template for X-cart.

The following user thanks totaltec for this useful post:
indizine (01-09-2013)
Old 01-09-2013, 07:36 AM

Thanks for that, it's hard to explain to the client why it is working on website no. 1 when really, it should neither a) be functioning (I presume??) and b) have been approved by PayPal.

There is no mention of any quarterly scans or anything else either. Bizarre.

I should emphasise he sorted out website no.1 himself over xmas, and was up and done before he contacted me to ask why it then wouldn't work with website no. 2 after doing the upgrade (which he thought would fix the issue). I have tried to explain what should happen, but hard to understand for him when website no. 1 is working just fine.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:52 AM

X-Cart team

I guess there is a confusion from PayPal side. I'll contact them and make sure their reps understand the requirements. We do not want to participate in any mess created accidentally.
X-Payments product manager
Old 01-09-2013, 08:17 AM

So can you confirm why an x-cart website using 4.4.5 works without x-payments being installed?

also can client roll back and reinstall 4.4.5 on the second website?
Old 01-09-2013, 08:22 AM

X-Guru

In 4.4.5 the methods were included. In 4.5.X there are no payment methods included that are non-compliant. I believe that is why the version incremented into the 4.5 branch, it was a significant change.

So it works in the older version, because the methods are there, new version they are missing. Sure you can always install an older version and run that, question is, do you really want to? Security concerns and improvements aside, you don't want to make a decision to get "stuck" in an old branch.
Mike White - Now Accepting new clients and projects! Work with the best, get a US based development team for just $125 an hour. Call 1-502-773-6454, email mike at babymonkeystudios.com, or skype b8bym0nkey

XcartGuru
X-cart Tutorials | X-cart 5 Tutorials

Check out the responsive template for X-cart.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:40 AM

Okay that answers that question, and of course I have indeed already pointed out that it would be an old version, and would not have what any new versions do have, and that upgrades remove or add features as well as fixing any known bugs. So yes, he's warned about that but it would be his informed choice end of the day.

That said, i've just dug out an old copy of an x-payments licence.....I guess we could possibly use that and he won't have to get x-cart payments, is that correct? It's v1.05 so would that work on a 4.5.4 site ie if we don't roll back to an old version.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:40 AM

Veteran

One thing many do not understand or do not want to understand - PCI-DSS forces everyone to use certified solution for collecting CC payments. XC is not certified payment application. Using XC only to collect and process CC payments makes the whole process non-compliant. It doesn't matter what some rep at PP said. You need to use certified application like X-Payments or take the payment process out of XC completely - no other way around.

At the end of the day the merchant is responsible if anything... And - if your client is fined $50000 one day because of this they will blame you, the developer, for allowing them to use non-compliant solution so maybe you need to put your foot down and not do what the client wants in that situation

@Mike
Quote:
I would simply do what the client asked, after warning them that it is not the best way. I have clients that still store card holder data directly on their server, and process cards offline!
You should do your best to force these clients not to process CC that way - there is no excuse for doing that anymore.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:51 AM

We did the site a couple of months back and it is not for us to "allow the client" to do something to their website or not.

I am in no position to tell the client what to do, only inform him which I have done, as already stated above.

He has been told quite clearly about PCI DSS compliance and I will be reinforcing this tomorrow when I speak to him again, the possible nasty outcomes this could result in.

However and all that said, the client is sensible and will listen once I clarify what's been confirmed here today, which was why does it work when it shouldn't (after all, it does work and PayPal have said it's fine and approved it so PP Pro works too!) and then what he needs to do to put it right (get x-payments). It's not his fault - he's being told and seeing something to what should actually not be happening but understandably, he wants to know why. He said the PayPal guy was adamant is should work on both sites and \I did say there is a chance this guy was not experienced or up to date on all x-cart versions, x-payments, etc.

There is no risk of him pointing any finger of blame at me, that is for sure. All clients get warned of what they should or should not do.
   X-Cart forums > X-Payments > X-Payments issues & questions