Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Presale questions about Wordpress Integration Module

X-Cart forums > Considering X-Cart > Considering using X-Cart for my project

Old 12-11-2015, 09:55 PM

Question Presale questions about Wordpress Integration Module

Hello, I am developing an ecommerce site in the coming months and I am currently stuck between using Wordpress & Xcart, or a Wordpress-only site (with ecommerce plugin) for a more seamless experience. I am a previous Xcart customer and user though and I am partial to its power and functionality. The problem is that my site will be divided into two sections: the shop, and a Learning Center area with articles and how-to's, where I want to use Wordpress.

I am inquiring about this mod:
http://www.x-cart.com/extensions/addons/wordpress-in-xcart-5.html

My main concerns are seamlessness and flow between the two systems from the user's point of view. No dual logins, account info, or break of environment (with some heavy theme work to match obviously).

My questions are:
- Does this module link user logins? Will registering in one system affect the other? Will updating profile/account info at any time update on the other end? Is there any chance of mismatching user data between the two?

- I see the module installs a copy of WP as part of the setup. Can I use my existing blog site and add X-cart to it, and just activate the module, without installing a fresh WP copy via this module?

- I also notice that it adds a Blog link, which points to ".com/blog/" in the demo (with Xcart being the root directory). I would like to rather have my Wordpress site as the root directory and put Xcart in ".com/shop". Is this also possible?

These questions are of extreme importance to me in considering XCart Ultimate package for purchase. Thank you for any and all feedback!
Old 12-12-2015, 11:30 AM

Advanced Staff Users

X-Cart team

Default Re: Presale questions about Wordpress Integration Module

Hello!

If you have used X-Cart before, most likely it was X-Cart Classic(4.x) which has completely different code structure, so, please, be prepared that the Ultimate package of X-Cart 5 will not be the same.

And the module you are referring to was originally available as an extra (popular castomization offered at a discounted price), then it was converted into a module for X-Cart Classic(4.x) and after that adapted for X-Cart 5

The module, of course, supports single sign-on and you can replace the default WordPress installation with your own.

However in your case I would actually recommend you to consider using another module because Blog System in X-Cart (aka WordPress in X-Cart) module is designed to insert WordPress-driven blog into your X-Cart-based website. That is why the /blog folder.

For the case when you already have an established WordPress-based website and wish to add X-Cart to it, we offer WordPress Integration module that lets you insert widgets with X-Cart elements straight into WordPress. The store itself is installed in a subfolder and you just need to tweak its design to match your main website.

As of right now the WordPress integration module does not support single sign-on, but we are actually working on this feature right now and are going to add it in the next module update.
Old 12-12-2015, 01:40 PM

Default Re: Presale questions about Wordpress Integration Module

Thanks for your info, sorry but just need clarification on some points.

So it seems that at the moment the only plugin that allows single sign-on is the Blog System module. But as you pointed out it installs a Wordpress copy into /blog. Is it not possible to manually change this and have WP in the root and place Xcart in i.e. /shop/?

Now that I think of it though, considering my site structure and content plans it is possible I can place Wordpress in a subfolder and not as the root. I'd just have to refigure my sitemap plans and how to go about structuring content. Though, I would still prefer to have Wordpress in the root directory if this is technically possible.

Because single login and seamlessness for the user are so important for me, I would have to wait on using the Wordpress Integration module if the Blog System module won't fit my needs. Is there a timeframe on when you might be adding this functionality?

Thanks again for your input.
   X-Cart forums > Considering X-Cart > Considering using X-Cart for my project