Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Product Filter module missing important features

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 5 > Third Party Add-Ons for X-Cart 5

Old 07-03-2017, 09:56 AM

Veteran

Default Product Filter module missing important features

Product Filter module for XC5 is really not what it seems to be.

If you test drive the demo site - https://demostore.x-cart.com/ - you will see the filters show on categories and search pages, nice look and every filter works on selection to filter products in the background and show results.

But this is only because it is combined with CloudSearch module. This is not mentioned anywhere.

The Product Filter module on its own works ONLY on current category with products. It will not show and work on search result pages.

So when you navigate to category with 5 products you will see some filters you can apply to them to narrow results.
When you do a search for some term and you have 200 products returned there is no Product Filter to narrow your search results further.
Also - the Product Filter module requires additional click on filter selection - Show Products button - in order to run the filter.

In its current stage the Product Filter module looks almost useless since it can only work on category with products. Being able to filter search results is very important functionality which is missing from this module.

I would understand if the cart doesn't have search functionality by default and thus the module will not include it. But that's not the case here. It is far more important to be able to filter products on search results than products on category page.

I am still waiting on XC to confirm this but from my testing, examining the code and going back and forth with them on the issues I believe this is exactly the case here.

Very disappointed in this module.

The following user thanks cflsystems for this useful post:
BrandonLR (07-31-2017)
Old 07-03-2017, 11:34 PM

X-Cart team

Default Re: Product Filter module missing important features

You are right. Product Filter doesn't work with search result page. We tried to implement such feature as part of the ProductFilter addon, but it didn't work fast and seamless. The reason is the same as for search: we need a more professional tool to search and filter products.

That's why we extended CloudSearch and release CloudFilters, cloud base engine on Solr. Also, CloudFilters has a unique feature. It uses machine learning to understand what kinds of filters need to be shown for entered keyword.

For example, if you sell apparel and a buyer enter "blue jeans" CloudFilters will show only the filters connected with trousers, but not show filters of t-shirts:
https://market.x-cart.com/addons/cloudfilters.html
Old 07-04-2017, 05:03 AM

Veteran

Said that way it's like if you say - search in XC doesn't work fast and accurate so we will release the cart without search functionality and instead will offer paid subscriptions based search.
Search for any website is essential and a must. Included out of the box not as additional optional service.

In this case I think you should not advertise Product Filter module as a benefit for XC 5 Business. The correct way would be to say that it will work correctly only combined with CloudSearch.

The way it is right now is misleading.

BrandonLR (07-31-2017)
Old 07-04-2017, 06:37 AM

X-Cart team

XC search works well and accurate. CloudSearch just add more features: search as you type, misspelling, synonyms, etc. The basic search is free, CloudSearch is subscription based.

The same with Filters. It works with categories. If you need to use it with search results - subscribe for CloudFilters.
Old 07-04-2017, 08:02 AM

Veteran

Not to argue Max but the main functionality to filter products is to be able to do it on some term you searched for. This is the point if this post - to inform that Product Filter actually will not work on such cases. And thus makes the module almost useless if used on its own.
If I am purchasing Product Filter module it should work on all possible pages to filter products. I should not he required to purchase additional module to make the first one work properly. Anyway. Point made. I know you will not change it to something better when such paid service exists.

BrandonLR (07-31-2017)
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 5 > Third Party Add-Ons for X-Cart 5