Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

What did the latest update do to my site?!?

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 5 > Dev Questions (X-Cart 5)

Old 02-16-2016, 03:17 AM

X-Wizard

Default Re: What did the latest update do to my site?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by qualiteam
Although you can choose to skip an update for a particular module when upgrading your store, I would not recommend you to do it. The older version of the module may rely on code that have been changed in the newer X-Cart 5 version. So, this may cause unpredictable problems in the future. However, there is a chance that the older version still works with the newer core. At least you may try it on a test copy of your website

Being from Manchester UK, that's a superb written example (for us) of "Definitely Maybe"

But for the "subsequent board of enquiry hearing...." Yes, Qualiteam are correct to advise caution. Having taken it back to 5.2.10 from 5.2.12 (see previous posts) we upgraded our Dev store to 5.2.13 but in connection with the CMS related modules, we did it in 3 steps....

We ran the 5.2.13 upgrade, but initially, de-selected just the Simple CMS Module & the TinyMCE integration Modules and left those as they were. The results proved that Core changes DO impact on those out of date modules i.e. Extended & Simple CMS and TinyMCE Integration...

We then upgraded just the TinyMCE Integration Module. NO difference from the line above

We finally upgraded the Simple CMS Module and deleted the (now a dead duck) Extended CMS Module. The result, is that we are right back where we were after just the 5.2.12 upgrade i.e. Everything works 100 % perfectly, with no upgrade or operational issues at all, but the current site menu's, asthetic visual effects are reminiscent of a heavy night out/bottle of vodka combo

So, it's ticketed and as always now (thankfully) it will get solved and corrected by the X-Cart Team, prior to us doing our own Live Store update. So all's well that ends we'll and these details may help those currently at the 5.2.10 / 5.2.13 crossroads....
Old 02-21-2016, 07:43 AM

X-Wizard

To complete this story...

We are now post-ticket submission / completion, with all requested changes complete and our live store upgraded to 5.2.13 from 5.2.10 but without featuring any of the "...post big night out visual effects" on the menus, detailed previously when testing this in our Dev store.

This death of Extended Simple CMS module made the 5.2.10 to 5.2.13 upgrade a long winded one for us. Other sites may be different than ours, but the method of "....simulate everything in your Dev store first... Or buy a defibrillator..." is now etched on our desks
Old 03-15-2016, 05:52 AM

X-Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple A Racing
.....but the method of "....simulate everything in your Dev store first... Or buy a defibrillator..." is now etched on our desks
And yet more module upgrades now: Simple CMS 5.2.14 (but operating with a 5.2.13 CORE.... Impressive continuity there plus the UK VAT Module aka VAT GST Module aka EU and UK VAT / GST module - Yes it's had many varied names (functions?) in such a short life....

However and as outlined in posts elsewhere, not a clue to us the end users (that we aware of anyway e.g. module changelog records etc) as too EXACTLY what has changed and why....

Yes we can "blindly" work through these module changes via our own Dev store, but a) see our own previous quote above and then b) understand very clearly now, why this is more than slightly annoying....

There's simply NO CLUE as to why these modules have been released and are available for upgrade and therefore, what relevance they have to each store owner. Fact!

If this were for free software, okay, there would be no room to complain. X-Cart Business licences and above (plus Custom Mods and some Modules etc) all cost money however and it isn't good enough, just to release upgrades, which have as much written technical detail supplied with them, as a freshly laid duck egg does...

It would be very helpful if somebody from the X-Cart Team could actually ADVISE us all, on here please (prior to yet more hours spent in our Dev store "on tenterhooks") about these two upgrades and any future ones too for good measure.
Old 03-15-2016, 09:09 AM

Veteran

I for one have changelog file for my modules. Unfortunately with the current marketplace system you can find out what the changes are after module updates is already installed - not so helpful right

The problem with the marketplace is while it is making it look easy for non-technical person to select, purchase, download, install a module in one click at the same time can create a huge problem with modules upgrades for store in production.

Ideally it should work like this - upgrades are available. Under each module there is a short list of what the change log has with "see more" link to open the full list. It should also have a choice whether admin wants to only download the new modules or download and install.
If admin can only download modules and examine/compare changes before actual installation this will save a lot of headache.

With current system this is impossible and creates the problems mentioned above.

The following user thanks cflsystems for this useful post:
Triple A Racing (03-15-2016)
Old 03-15-2016, 09:29 AM

eXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by qualiteam
Unfortunately, it is impossible to test design updates on every possible configuration. That's why the generic fixes that we release will work for many users, but someone will have to apply extra CSS tweaks to get the changes compatible with their setups.

The XC5 dev team have plans on adding the fourth number to XC5 versions. Minor tweaks that will likely not affect most of the users will go into that number. Also, there are three waves of releasing a new version ("live" stores get the update on the third wave only).

Although the above should minimize the risk of installing an update that breaks some custom design themes and/or modules, the good practice is testing the update on a dev copy of your site so that you could tweak your theme and custom modules before upgrading your "live" store.

I understand that you may have issues with generic modules on modified themes and custom modules, but my store operates under a standard X-Cart theme and only 1 custom module that only changes sections of the admin skin and 1 change to the general skin. There isn't enough in there that would cause conflict so the issue was with the release of the module from X-cart. It was corrected by X-cart AND was determined that it was an error on their part when they wrote the module (they left out something and somehow that passed QA).
2GB ECC DDR3 1600MHz
2x Intel E5-2630L v2 Hex Core 2.4/2.8ghz
15 MB proc cache
60 GB 10k RPM hdd
PHP 7.0.15
MariaDB 10.1.21 with InnoDB engine

The following user thanks GlasPak for this useful post:
Triple A Racing (03-15-2016)
Old 03-15-2016, 05:06 PM

X-Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cflsystems
....With current system this is impossible and creates the problems mentioned above.
There is now a bug associated with the UK VAT display. It's been confirmed as a bug by X-Cart.

It's detailed here: https://forum.x-cart.com/showthread.php?t=73728

Thankfully X-Cart are already on it (see messages on that post) and should release a fix very shortly.

It still comes back to being able to deal with module upgrades in a much better way though - as cflsystems have described!
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 5 > Dev Questions (X-Cart 5)