Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Category pages with single product

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 5 > Dev Questions (X-Cart 5)

Old 06-10-2015, 12:32 PM

Default Category pages with single product

Is it possible to enable a category page to link directly to the product page if that category contains only one product?

In X-Cart 4, we were able to set it to do this. For instance, in "XYZ Category", we have only one product: "XYZ Product". When someone clicks on XYZ Category, I would like it to go directly to XYZ Product. If there is more than one product, obviously it would go to the category page.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:05 PM

X-Guru

Default Re: Category pages with single product

Bob,
This can certainly be done. Mayube the simplest way would be a .htaccess redirect. Setup the product and category, give them both a clean URL. Then setup a redirect in your .htaccess that points the category page to the product page.

Never tried it but its worth investigating.

Alternatively we could add a text input on the category page, and if it was filled in, use that to point to the product.
Mike White - Now Accepting new clients and projects! Work with the best, get a US based development team for just $125 an hour. Call 1-502-773-6454, email mike at babymonkeystudios.com, or skype b8bym0nkey

XcartGuru
X-cart Tutorials | X-cart 5 Tutorials

Check out the responsive template for X-cart.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:09 PM

Veteran

I always felt this is wrong. Customer requests a category but gets to product page instead. So you are basically advertising one thing but showing another... Not to mention how Google will feel about this redirect.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:35 PM

X-Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cflsystems
I always felt this is wrong. Customer requests a category but gets to product page instead. So you are basically advertising one thing but showing another... Not to mention how Google will feel about this redirect.
Agreed, it is a bad practice to continue to publish a link that is being actively redirected. Especially if done through the .htaccess as I suggested. But redirected at the PHP level, as in switching out the URL directly on the page, that would have no Google repercussions. I was just suggesting the easy way out if you only have one or two such situations.
Mike White - Now Accepting new clients and projects! Work with the best, get a US based development team for just $125 an hour. Call 1-502-773-6454, email mike at babymonkeystudios.com, or skype b8bym0nkey

XcartGuru
X-cart Tutorials | X-cart 5 Tutorials

Check out the responsive template for X-cart.
Old 06-11-2015, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cflsystems

I can see where you're coming from, but we want to eliminate as many steps needed to get to a product. If there's only one product in a category, it just means the customer has to load another page to get to where they want to go.
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 5 > Dev Questions (X-Cart 5)