Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Default Option for Product Variants

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 5 > Dev Questions (X-Cart 5)

Old 04-18-2014, 03:08 PM

Advanced Member

Default Default Option for Product Variants

In the old versions of X-Cart you could select a "Default" option for a product variant, but in X-Cart 5.x, there is no option. You can select a "Default" option with product attributes, but cannot select a "Default" option when they are product variants. Right now if you use Product Variants, the default sort is by lowest price which is NOT a good option. Is there any way to change this to sort the list alphabetically or by some other means? Which code can I go in and modify myself to make this happen?
www.78ta.com

The following user thanks 78tahitman for this useful post:
xim (04-21-2014)
Old 04-18-2014, 05:36 PM

X-Guru

Default Re: Default Option for Product Variants

In my opinion, any "default" variant that is not set by the merchant is useless.
The default variant is critical to merchandising. It is the primary color/size/type the customer sees. And is typically the "most popular" variant. If this is not able to be set by the merchant, the cart is pretty much useless for a store that has products based on variants (apparel, color cosmetics, etc.)

X-Cart will need to solve this one if they want a merchant with variants to use XC5.

The following user thanks carpeperdiem for this useful post:
xim (04-21-2014)
Old 04-18-2014, 07:01 PM

Advanced Member

I just think that something as simple as this and as needed as this would be something left out of the Cart.
www.78ta.com
Old 04-21-2014, 12:21 AM

X-Cart team

Thank you for your feedback!

The current variant logic in X-Cart 5 based on the statement that the cheapest variant should be the default. This price is used for listings and search scripts.

Is it real use case when you need to define more expensive variant as the default? Please, share your feedback.

However, I see that we need to implement a solution to define the default if there are several variants with the same cheapest price.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:18 AM

X-Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by xim
Is it real use case when you need to define more expensive variant as the default? Please, share your feedback

We offer a makeup kit in many shades. We will often price the slower selling colors less than the most popular -- but for merchandising purposes, the MOST POPULAR color is the default. The customer is selecting a color, or a size, and for all the savings in the world, the wrong color is not worth saving $10-- but for the merchant, the "display color" is not always going to be the cheapest. I am going to display the best selling or most popular color or version, and I need to select this based on merchandising needs, not the cart selecting this based on lowest price.

I hate to say it, but this is merchandising 101 -- which color/version should the merchant display most prominently? Merchants know how to display their products. The cart should not assume the lowest price color or size or version is the most appropriate choice to display as the default.

Clear-er?

The following 2 users thank carpeperdiem for this useful post:
qualiteam (04-21-2014), xim (04-21-2014)
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 5 > Dev Questions (X-Cart 5)