Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Xcart 3.3.3 Released With Upgrade Kits

X-Cart forums > News and Announcements

Old 02-27-2003, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B00MER
As for upgrading I went from 3.3.2 with the upgrade patch, took me about 30 mins. Not too bad.

Any chance of a blow by blow account of how you did this, Boomer? I'm assuming you have a highly modified cart?
Old 02-27-2003, 01:04 PM

X-Guru

Grab the upgrade patch tar ball, uploaded it into the root my xcart/ dir, store/ in my case. Then extracted:

tar zxvf 3.3.2-3.3.3-pro_upgrade.tgz

Login to admin/ Run the patch/upgrade process, look at the files that needed to be chmoded so the webserver can write to them, copy paste the entire list to notepad so I can keep track of which ones I need to switch back once I'm done. Make the appropiate chmod's I usually just set them group writeable chmod 666. I'll leave the skin (.tpls) at this less I have to reset back to the original state, and set all .php related files to 644.

Well I run the patch process again, everything patchs except a few .tpl files, thats okie, I'll take a peak at what was changed, if its anything relative to functionality I make the adjustments myself if its for looks or what not I don't make the changes (again less I have to do) Well, the patch process says all the .php files where patched along with everything else but a few .tpls, So I know the php is updated fine, thats what I really wanted upgraded, now I move on to applying the SQL patch, I normally hand pick out the updates out of the SQL/ dir in the upgrade/ dir, and apply them in the patch/upgrade area as well. Now I'm still seeing Version 3.3.2 in my upgrade area, this is okie, it's just because the upgrade didn't compeltely finnish so I remove the upgrade/ dir, open up phpMyAdmin, go to the config table and find the db version, that says 3.3.2 and change it to 3.3.3, go through my text file and change my .php's that I chmoded to 666 to 644, now, I'm good to go

The site this was done is:
http://www.blazingdragon.com which has a new look too btw,

Whew, a novel I think
Old 02-27-2003, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B00MER
Then extracted:

tar zxvf 3.3.2-3.3.3-pro_upgrade.tgz

Ok, how'd you do that bit, I mean what program do you use? If I extract the files using winzip then upload using an ftp client it fails the files when you go to the Upgrade screen.
Old 02-27-2003, 05:28 PM

X-Guru

I login via SSH to my host, using SecureCRT and use the tar app that most systems have

z (gzip)
x (extract)
v (i forgot)
f (i forgot)

But its alot better to use this method vs winzip, or the likes, if you do use a windows based extractor I'd use winrar. However you should be able to just dumpt he contents of the tar ball into the root of your x-cart install.

OR use a control panel system (if your host has one) that will allow you to extract on the server.

hth.
Old 02-27-2003, 05:45 PM

Screw it, I might just start from scratch. I began with V2.whatever.whatever from November last year and dammed if I know what I have done during that time. Think I'll just blow away the existing install and start over.
Old 03-03-2003, 02:42 PM

OOOooooooooky doke, I have calmed down now <g>

edit: removed that stuff, it was relating to the patch.pl file which FunkyDunk has helped me out with.

My patch files have all checked ok, the permissions are ok, my finger is over the button...

BUT!

If I run the patch from 3.3.2 to 3.3.3 will it change the look of my site back to the default x-cart setup with the orange banner and x-cart sprinkled everywhere throughout the site, etc etc?
Old 03-03-2003, 10:27 PM

X-Guru

Nope, If you've modified alot of the .tpls some of the patching will error out, this is okie, you may need to look at the .diff files to see what was changed and make adjustments by hand, the main thing you want to get upgraded is the .php files and the sql tables. Although some functionality comes from the .tpls so keep an eye on whats changed.

hth.
Old 03-03-2003, 10:42 PM

That does help, thanks, Boomer.
Old 03-14-2003, 03:47 PM

Default tgz

Hi Boomer,

Thanks for the info on how to open/extract a ".tgz file.

I'm new to the board and that was my 1st question. Glad it was already covered!

TADD
   X-Cart forums > News and Announcements