Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

How is everyone migrating customers and orders to XC5?

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 5 > Dev Questions (X-Cart 5)

Old 04-02-2015, 01:02 PM

Advanced Member

Default How is everyone migrating customers and orders to XC5?

I am trying to get customers and orders from xcart 4.x to xcart 5.2 but am having little luck.

I have the script to format products for import but what are you all doing for customers and orders?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-03-2015, 04:35 AM

X-Cart team

Default Re: How is everyone migrating customers and orders to XC5?

Hello @skit,

You can migrate customers and orders from X-Cart 4 to X-Cart 5 using Cart2Cart service:
http://www.shopping-cart-migration.com/

You can get a coupon that will allow you to migrate up to 2000 users and 5000 orders free of charge. To get such coupon please contact us at sales@x-cart.com

Tony
Old 04-06-2015, 07:04 AM

Advanced Member

Thanks for the reply Tony, I have looked into this service.

I was hoping that maybe there was someone that has anyone successful exported then imported customers and orders on your own without using the above service?
Old 05-08-2015, 08:21 AM

Hi @skit,

Any luck finding an alternative method for migrating store data from 4.x to 5.x? I was looking into another way outside of using Cart2Cart as well.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:00 PM

Hi All,

I have successfully migrated products and customers from XC4 to XC5 but (as seems to be the case most of the time) there is no documentation for importing Orders......

Can anyone direct me to this documentation or advise the fields?

I tried exporting from XC5 to find out myself but get another error/bug.............

Quote:
Event task runner internal error

Furthermore, on the XC5 import page it shows the below... not mentioning orders??

Quote:
Possible file names are: attributes.csv, categories.csv, products.csv, customers.csv, product-attributes.csv

Has anyone done this? Can it even be done? This XC5 store is now live... minus order data....

Thanks
Shaz
Old 11-19-2015, 12:42 AM

X-Wizard

It can be done, I did it, but I regret doing it. I used Cart-2-Cart. If I had to do it again, I would use X-Cart but even there, I still wouldn't do it again. It's okay to migrate products, categories, etc, but when it comes to customers, orders, user accounts, and ESPECIALLY bonus points, reviews, testimonials, etc, etc, it's very difficult and you will probably encounter errors for a long time. I did this in September and I'm still dealing with bonus points and user account issues (especially if the customer had multiple accounts). The migration did not transfer ALL of the customer orders, only the last one, and your customers will be constantly asking you what happened to their order history, why only one order shows up, etc, etc. The bonus point system is way more complex now (I mean as far as how it's set up in the databases) and order history must jive with earned points, etc, etc.

It's my opinion now that it would have been way easier to just have my customers re-sign up with new accounts and to manually add any bonus points they may have had, as they request them.

It's also my opinion that XC5 wasn't really ready for full commerce until the current version 5.2.10. If you have a new store, this is the way to go. If you have an established store with 1000's of customers, consider starting from scratch and sending all your customers an email asking them to re-sign up again.

I have been using XC since version 3.4 or so, how far does that go back? Perhaps 10 years. Trying to migrate from XC4 to XC5 was easily the worst experiencing I ever had with this cart. Now that I have done it, after 2-3 months of sleepless nights I am finally enjoying the benefits of XC5, and there are many. I DO like it, it's super easy to upgrade or add modules. If you want to keep up, you will eventually have to do it sooner or later. It's just a matter of how you do it. So my personal advice only - consider starting from scratch.
Apache 2.4
CENTOS 7.8 64Bit Single Quad-Core E3-1241v3 3.4Ghz 8M 1600 w/ HT
32GB RAM 2x 512GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD RAID 1
Old 11-19-2015, 03:09 PM

oh yep... I've used Cart-2-Cart once before also.... same experience.... nightmare... lost $, lost sleep and almost lost my sanity lol yes, I've been using X-Cart around the same time frame, until recently it was my eCommerce platform of choice! So sad.....

Now that I'm live alot of little funny things I've not been able to fix automatically started working. XC5 really didn't like working off an http://<IP>/~username URL at all.

I agree..... x-cart have alot to answer for..... release was very premature but I am running 2 x 5.2.x and I still find it full of bugs. trying to do anything 'out of the square' is like pulling teeth.... upgrading is still a huge issue for me, I just get error after error. Add in support being totally overwhelemed and slow in responding.... and I've had an awful time LOL

Site looks good, and checkout is working well atleast.... will see what happens in the next few months...

So as I apparently haven't hemorrhaged enough money on this project yet......... I'm now getting a quote from XC to migrate the orders for me....
Old 11-20-2015, 06:45 PM

X-Wizard

Have had a lot of problems with the subscriptions module, that's probably my main issue right now. Supposedly an update coming soon.

Also been having a weird quirk about low inventory/products being cloned/wish list. I'm not sure why, but some products get cloned automatically, show up as an unsellable item (it's a clone of an item we actually do have for sale item), then get added to customers wish lists. The cloned product also gets added to the clean_urls table, and dozens of "low stock" emails for nonexistent products are emailed to me. I spent 4 hours yesterday cleaning multiple cloned products out of various tables, I "think" I got that fixed.

That might have been a result of the migration (not sure),, which is why I mention it. .

Right now I'm seriously missing the product configurator that was available for XC4, there is nothing at all like that available right now in XC5. I made a lot of money with that module…

All of that said, the cart is currently working quite well outside of those few problem areas, finally.

Anyway, you may want to consider just sending out an email asking for your customers to re-sign up again and keep a copy of the old cart for lookup purposed. That's what I would do if I had to do it again.
Apache 2.4
CENTOS 7.8 64Bit Single Quad-Core E3-1241v3 3.4Ghz 8M 1600 w/ HT
32GB RAM 2x 512GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD RAID 1
Old 11-26-2015, 08:30 PM

Yes I have had SO MANY weird quirks too......

So it has now been 3 days I've been waiting for a simple quote from X-cart themselves to import the historical orders for me.... since there is no way that exists for us to do it.... How did they just 'forget' to build a order import facility for upgrades to XC5 in the first place?! I'm at a complete loss....

I'm actually a developer, I was able to successfully import the customer accounts and products from XC4 but that is all. No order history.

Anyways, if they ever get back to me with a quote I'll let you know the total cost you are up for in ADDITION to the XCART 5 Licence fees, etc which should already allow this.

Shaz
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 5 > Dev Questions (X-Cart 5)