Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Send to Friend on product pages.

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions

Old 10-07-2002, 03:18 AM

X-Guru

Default Send to Friend on product pages.

If anyone is interested I currently have a simple method to allow users to send products to their friends email address's with a direct link back to the product. If anyone wants such a feature get in touch with me and will work on details, as I'll provide a walk through, with code snippets. This was done with version 3.2.0, but can be done to older versions as well.
Old 10-28-2002, 04:08 PM

Default Send to friend

Hi,
I'd really appreciate it if you'd show me how to add this 'send to a friend' link to my site (www.nothingbutgifts.com).
Thanks a lot for your time, I really appreciate it,
Kind Regards,
Chirin.
Old 10-28-2002, 04:28 PM

X-Guru

i would definitely be interested if it works for 3.2.1

Thanks !
Old 10-28-2002, 05:19 PM

X-Adept

BOOMER! Very slick!

Are major modifications required?

v3.2.1
Old 11-10-2002, 10:41 AM

Advanced Member

Default Hi Boomer

Hi Boomer,

I also am interested in learning how to do that. Please email or pm me thanks!

Japanchick
Old 11-10-2002, 12:26 PM

X-Adept

I have a very nice javascript tell-a-friend script that works great in html pages.

I'm not sure how to make it work with the product.tpl though.

You have to put the <script></script> tag at the beginning which points the the .js file of the tell-a-friend script. The only problem is that in the product.tpl there is already a <script> line.

Is it possible to define both <script>'s?

Anyone know?
Old 11-10-2002, 01:40 PM

X-Adept

Hi SeaCoast,

You should be able to include two scripts in the head. I would probably keep them completely separate including enclosing each in it's own {literal} tags.

ATKOgirl
Old 11-10-2002, 01:43 PM

X-Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATKOgirl
Hi SeaCoast,

You should be able to include two scripts in the head. I would probably keep them completely separate including enclosing each in it's own {literal} tags.

ATKOgirl

I actually tried that and got an "error on page".

Old 11-15-2002, 08:14 AM

X-Guru

Okie so I'm feeling nice today, hopefully the favor can be returned in some way.

First create a new file called sendtofriend.php under xcart/customer/
Code:
<?php # # sendtofriend mod by www.molotovbliss.com # require "../smarty.php"; require "../config.php"; @include "./https.php"; require "./auth.php"; require "../include/categories.php"; if($active_modules["Bestsellers"]) include "../modules/Bestsellers/bestsellers.php"; $product_info = func_select_product($productid, $user_account['membership']); $cat = $product_info["categoryid"]; $userinfo = func_userinfo($login,$login_type); if ($REQUEST_METHOD=="POST") { # phpinfo(); exit(); # # Send mail to support # $HTTP_POST_VARS["body"] = stripslashes($HTTP_POST_VARS["body"]); while (list($key,$val) = each($HTTP_POST_VARS)) $contact[$key]=$val; $fillerror = (empty($contact["firstname"]) || empty($contact["lastname"]) || empty($contact["email"]) || empty($contact["sendtoemail"])); if(!$fillerror) { $mail_smarty->assign("contact",$contact); #print $contact["sendtoemail"]; exit(); func_send_mail($contact["sendtoemail"], "mail/sendtofriend_subj.tpl", "mail/sendtofriend.tpl", $contact["email"], true); $productid = $product_info['productid']; header("Location: sendtofriend.php?section=sendtofriend&productid=$productid"); exit; } else { $userinfo = $HTTP_POST_VARS; $userinfo["login"] = $userinfo["uname"]; } } $smarty->assign("userinfo",$userinfo); $smarty->assign("fillerror",$fillerror); $smarty->assign("main","sendtofriend"); $smarty->assign("help_section",$section); $smarty->assign("location",$location); $smarty->assign("product",$product_info); $smarty->display("customer/home.tpl"); ?>

Next we need to let smarty know what template to use:
[skin1]/common_templates.tpl add the following after the
first if statement:

Code:
{elseif $main eq "sendtofriend"} {include file="customer/sendtofriend.tpl"}

Now create a new file under [skin1]/customer/sendtofriend.tpl and paste the following:

Code:
{literal} <script> function checkEmailAddress(field) { var goodEmail = field.value.match(/\b(^(\S+@).+((\.com)|(\.net)|(\.edu)|(\.mil)|(\.gov)|(\.org)|(\..{2,2}))$)\b/gi); if (goodEmail) { return true; } else { alert("E-mail address is invalid! Please correct"); field.focus(); field.select(); return false; } } </script> {/literal} {if $smarty.get.mode eq "update"} The product you have selected currently to send to your friend(s): <table><tr> <td><a href=product.php?productid={$smarty.get.productid}&cat={$cat}&page={$navigation_page}>{include file="product_thumbnail.tpl" productid=$smarty.get.productid image_x=70 product=$products[product].product}</a></td> <td>Product: <font class="red">{$product.product|escape}</font> {$product.descr|truncate:255:"...":true}</td> </tr></table> {*$lng.txt_contact_us_header*} {/if} {capture name=dialog} {if $smarty.get.mode eq "update"} <table width=100% border=0 cellspacing=0 cellpadding=2> <form action="sendtofriend.php?mode=update&section=sendtofriend&productid={$smarty.get.productid}" action=sendtofriend method=post name=sendtofriendform> <tr valign=middle> <td colspan=3 class="red">Friend Information:</td> </tr> <tr valign=middle> <td class="TableCenterCustomerForm">{$lng.lbl_email}</td> <td><font class=StarStyle>*</font></td> <td nowrap> <input type=text name=sendtoemail size=32 maxlength=255> {if $fillerror ne "" and $userinfo.sendtoemail eq ""}<font class=StarStyle>&lt;&lt;</font>{/if} </td> </tr> <!-- <tr><td colspan=3><small>Use , to seperate mutliple friends emails. example: bob@bob.com, smith@smith.com, etc.</td></tr> --> <tr><td></td></tr> <tr valign=middle> <td colspan=3 class="red">Your Information:</td> </tr> <tr valign=middle> <td class="TableCenterCustomerForm">{$lng.lbl_first_name}</td> <td><font class=StarStyle>*</font></td> <td nowrap> <input type=text name=firstname size=32 maxlength=32 value="{$userinfo.firstname}"> {if $fillerror ne "" and $userinfo.firstname eq ""}<font class=StarStyle>&lt;&lt;</font>{/if} </td> </tr> <tr valign=middle> <td class="TableCenterCustomerForm">{$lng.lbl_last_name}</td> <td><font class=StarStyle>*</font></td> <td nowrap> <input type=text name=lastname size=32 maxlength=32 value="{$userinfo.lastname}"> {if $fillerror ne "" and $userinfo.lastname eq ""}<font class=StarStyle>&lt;&lt;</font>{/if} </td> </tr> <tr valign=middle> <td class="TableCenterCustomerForm">{$lng.lbl_email}</td> <td><font class=StarStyle>*</font></td> <td nowrap> <input type=text name=email size=32 maxlength=128 value="{$userinfo.email}"> {if $fillerror ne "" and $userinfo.email eq ""}<font class=StarStyle>&lt;&lt;</font>{/if} </td> </tr> <tr valign=top> <td class="TableCenterCustomerForm">{$lng.lbl_message}</td> <td></td> <td nowrap> <textarea cols=48 rows=12 name=body>{$userinfo.body}</textarea> </td> </tr> <tr valign=middle> <td></td> <td></td> <td nowrap> {include file="buttons/submit.tpl"} </td> </tr> <input type=hidden name=usertype value="{$usertype}"> <input type=hidden name=productid value="{$smarty.get.productid}"> </form> </table> <hr size=1> Here is the template for the email being sent to your friend: <UL> Bob Smith has recommended a product to you. Look at this cool product I found, I think its what you were looking for! Checkout the product link below for more details: http://www.blazingdragon.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=3 -- orders@blazingdragon.com support@blazingdragon.com http://www.blazingdragon.com [/list] Go Back {include file="buttons/go.tpl"} {else} Your message was succesfully sent, your friend has been informed of {$product.product|escape}. Go Back {include file="buttons/go.tpl"} {/if} {/capture} {include file="dialog.tpl" title="Send to Friend(s)" content=$smarty.capture.dialog extra="width=100%"}

Edit the contents of the template to your liking. And please make a donation as this wasn't a quick easy task, I just see so many are requesting such that would be easier to deal in a mass way, I'm just asking for some help for my time. If you can't get all this working, please email me.
Old 11-15-2002, 08:17 AM

X-Guru

Forgot to mention you also need to create two other files under [skin1]/mail

First file: [skin1]/mail/sendtofriend.tpl

Code:
{$contact.firstname} {$contact.lastname} has recommended a product to you. {if $contact.body ne ""} {$contact.body} {/if} Checkout the product link below for more details: http://www.blazingdragon.com/store/customer/product.php?productid={$contact.productid} {include file="mail/signature.tpl"}

Next: [skin1]/mail/sendtofriend_subj.tpl

Code:
{config_load file="$skin_config"}{$contact.firstname} {$contact.lastname} has recommended a product to you at {$config.Company.company_name}{*$lng.eml_contact_us_subj*}

Sorry about that

NOTE: Ooops I forgot to add a / in between mail and sendtofriend.tpl and sendtofriend_subj.tpl sorry about that.
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions