Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

easy simplify checkout mod

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions

Old 10-10-2005, 05:12 PM

eXpert

Default Re: checkout in x-cart needs some serious modification

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucer
Look at overstock.com's checkout steps. Very easy, very uncluttered and minimal info on screen. Oh by the way they have the copy billing address to shipping address checkmark.

It is also unnecessary to ask the user to create a username since they already have an email address entered. Does it not make it easier to remember for the user?

I think the bottomline is:
The less info you ask the user to fill out, the less abandoned carts we will have.

I am thinking of modifying my checkout pages in the coming days and if I can come up with something easierto use, I sure will share.

[Yes, I am aware of the easy checkout mod ($99 one) and it is not exactly what I need either.]

I agree, i like overstocks.com checkout.
And i also agree that x-cart need to change their checkout ASAP!!!!!
Is it too much to ask for to get a good checkout from a shopping cart?
Old 10-11-2005, 06:20 AM

Advanced Member

Mustang your checkout page looks great ... did you every post the code ?
Thanks Again
Old 10-13-2005, 06:58 AM

Advanced Member

Mustang, I also would love to see the code you used.

Thanks!
Product Configurator
Fancy Categories (turned off)
Old 10-18-2005, 10:56 AM

Default Checkout mod.

3 name checkout was rediculous, i my self when testing the cart got annoyed entering details 3 times, and if leaving shipping blank the cart refused to go forward. I have since got X-Cart to modify the checkout so that 1. you enter name and surname (ONCE) 2. Billing address this is the main part 3. if different shipping address required then enter if not LEAVE BLANK.

Lastly tel number, email and username password. Checkout is now quicker and functions correctly.

I have made several changes to the other areas of the cart like SKU: never heard of this my self. Changed to (ORDER CODE) also in the text areas of changes ive added <tags> for font and Bold etc.

One thing i was going to have removed is the Payment details section after checkout, it then repeats by showing a list of confirming. I have so far added text in RED (Please check your details) this tells the customer to check at this staage rather then think its a repeat page.....

One thing needed now is a decent Popup enlarge image option according to x cart this is in the new release!!!!

to see my checkout goto www.realsecurity.co.uk (WIRELESS camera) is the only product in there at the moment whilst modifications are being made.

I am backing up the cart to view changes the x cart team made to the checkout section.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:12 PM

eXpert

Realsecurity,

Can you share the code? That looks great, all the fixes I am looking for. That three name thing is rediculous. I can't believe that something so important is so messed up.
Old 01-02-2006, 07:25 PM

X-Man

I wanted to keep the first and last name open on the shipping address as with the mod as posted there is no way to send a package to anyone but the card holder (meaning no gifts).

I implemented a variation of this mod and noticed that if the customer was not using Javascript there is no way for that customer to register as the billing address fields are missing (as in gone!) and the 'populate' is done using Javascript.

I ended up using some if/else statements that if Jasvascript is not enable at leat the customer gets the original 3 name entry process. Not a great solution, but it will do for now.
Integrated with Stone Edge Order Manager + POS

Version 4.1.12 Gold (fresh install) - X-AOM - Linux
Mods - XCSEO free
Old 01-09-2006, 01:14 PM

soooooo, mustang or realsecurity, can either of you share (or sell) the code you used to modify your checkout process? did anyone else modify theirs to a streamlined, workable solution?

i've taken a look at the EasyCheckout Mod but it's just not that smooth, IMHO.

are there any other checkout mods available that i've missed?

thanks,

mike
http://www.CoreCases.com - Ipod Cases
http://www.InnovativeOutlet.com - Pet Plants and other cool stuff you need
Old 01-11-2006, 09:36 AM

Default Re: easy simplify checkout mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcc99
Hi All,

This was some simple mods I have done for X-Cart 4.11, to make the checkout neater. I post it here in case it is useful to anyone starting out.

In summary, I have changed the title of the first block of registering for profile or checkout to Customer Details, have removed URL, Fax, Company fields and brought the Phone and Email up to this block as well as some other formatting. Also removed the multiple fields for first and last name so there is just the one. Any alternative ways of doing this I'd be interested to here about.

** CHANGE TEXT "PERSONAL INFORMATION (register/checkout)**
In Admin, go to Languages, select English.
Wait for page refresh. Select Labels and type in "Personal Information"
Change this text to 'Customer Details' and click Apply Changes

** REGISTER PAGE - COMBINE CONTACT FIELDS WITH CUSTOMER DETAILS **
In customer/main/register.tpl find this code
{include file="main/register_contact_info.tpl" userinfo=$userinfo}
move to below {include file="main/register_personal_info.tpl" userinfo=$userinfo}
Open main/register_contact_info.tpl and remove the header row <tr> and associated code </tr>

** REGISTER/CHECKOUT PAGES - HIDE BILLING/SHIPPING INFORMATION FIRSTNAME LASTNAME **
Do this if you want to use the firstname lastname fields as identical for
registering, shipping and billing
Open main/register_shipping_address.tpl

Find this code:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Code:
{if $default_fields.firstname.avail eq 'Y'} <TR> <TD align="right">{$lng.lbl_first_name}</TD> <TD>{if $default_fields.firstname.required eq 'Y'}<FONT class="Star">*</FONT>{else}{/if}</TD> <TD nowrap> <INPUT type="text" name="s_firstname" size="32" maxlength="32" value="{$userinfo.s_firstname}"> {if $reg_error ne "" and $userinfo.s_firstname eq "" && $default_fields.firstname.required eq 'Y'}<FONT class="Star">&lt;&lt;</FONT>{/if} </TD> </TR> {/if} {if $default_fields.lastname.avail eq 'Y'} <TR> <TD align="right">{$lng.lbl_last_name}</TD> <TD>{if $default_fields.lastname.required eq 'Y'}<FONT class="Star">*</FONT>{else}{/if}</TD> <TD nowrap> <INPUT type="text" name="s_lastname" size="32" maxlength="32" value="{$userinfo.s_lastname}"> {if $reg_error ne "" and $userinfo.s_lastname eq "" && $default_fields.lastname.required eq 'Y'}<FONT class="Star">&lt;&lt;</FONT>{/if} </TD> </TR> {/if}
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
REPLACE WITH
Code:
<INPUT type="hidden" name="s_firstname" size="32" maxlength="32" value="{$userinfo.s_firstname}"> <INPUT type="hidden" name="s_lastname" size="32" maxlength="32" value="{$userinfo.s_lastname}">
REPEAT FOR BILLING
Open main/register_billing_address.tpl

Find two table rows containing first last name fields as above
and replace with

Code:
<INPUT type="hidden" name="b_firstname" size="32" maxlength="32" value="{$userinfo.b_firstname}"> <INPUT type="hidden" name="b_lastname" size="32" maxlength="32" value="{$userinfo.b_lastname}">

Open main/register_personal_info.tpl
Find INPUT fields for firstname and lastname
ADD THIS CODE to end of tag

Code:
onChange="populateProfile()"

Open common_js.tpl
Add this function

Code:
function populateProfile() { document.registerform.s_firstname.value = document.registerform.firstname.value; document.registerform.s_lastname.value = document.registerform.lastname.value; document.registerform.b_firstname.value = document.registerform.firstname.value; document.registerform.b_lastname.value = document.registerform.lastname.value }

To maintain "leave empty if same as billing" message before registering
open main/register_shipping_address.tpl
find
Code:
{if !$is_s_fields}({$lng.lbl_leave_empty_if_same_as_b_address}){/if}

replace with
Code:
{if $login eq ""}({$lng.lbl_leave_empty_if_same_as_b_address}){/if}

** CHECKOUT PAGE 3 **
To simplify information on this page...
customer/main/cart_details -

find
{if $cart.products and $have_products eq "Y"} lines 77 and 99
comment out * these and their respective end tags

customer/main/customer_details.tpl
format/remove unused fields like fax, company name fields etc.

customer/main/checkout_notes.tpl
do some formatting here

bob

Thanks for the above Bob - it helps get rid of a lot of the double entry stuff.

I'm still left with the Title box (Mr/Mrs/etc) above the billing address, though. I'm assuming this is the same as the "Customer Details" title.

Could you possibly post how to get rid of this without causing other knock-ons. I've been messing about with it but just don't have the knowledge!!

Best wishes
Steve
Old 01-13-2006, 03:59 PM

X-Man

bobcc99:

Just so you are aware that using your method a customer can not register or complete a sale if Javascript is not enabled in their browser. That has been the problem with all of the EZ checkout mods I've seen. Yeah, it is probably a small percentage, but it is a sale none the less.

I use something similar but have enclosed it in an {if Javascript enabled=""} statement and default to the standard method if Javascript can't be used.

Steve-C:
You should be able to remove the titles or anything else in 'User Profile Options" under General Settings.
Integrated with Stone Edge Order Manager + POS

Version 4.1.12 Gold (fresh install) - X-AOM - Linux
Mods - XCSEO free
Old 01-14-2006, 01:33 AM

Hi JWait

Thanks for that.

You can take the Mr/Mrs/Etc selection box off the billing address in the "Customer Registration" dialogue OK using "User Profile Options" but oddly it still turns up on the checkout pages. I have got rid of it by commenting out the necessary part in /main/register_billing_address.tpl I haven't fully tested it yet but it seems OK.

With the exception of the above I think I'll be going back to the original X-Cart templates to avoid the Javascript not enabled trap but, to simplify a bit, I will do away with the shipping address altogether so items are shipped to billing address.

If customer wants shipment to another address he will have to ask.

This may help reduce fraud, too.
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions