Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

X-Payments 1.0 beta5 announcement

Closed Thread
   X-Cart forums > News and Announcements

Old 07-03-2010, 02:58 PM

Veteran

Default Re: X-Payments 1.0 beta5 announcement

Asiaplay, that was uncalled for. BCSE is simply offering an option, they are not milking the situation for profit. How about you keep your comments constructive instead of attacking someone for no reason.

The following user thanks balinor for this useful post:
Emerson (07-03-2010)
Old 07-03-2010, 06:07 PM

X-Wizard

@Balinor - the setup fee in my opinion is very much on the high side (come on... even whole server set-ups and moves are cheaper, if we are being honest) i.e. I don't think it was explained at all in the post why this level was required or this approach...
Really, we are intitled to our comments in here Balinor, it is just up to others to decide, if they agree or not.
Remember the whole reason many (I suspect most) of us took the "open source" approach was to avoid endless ongoing monthly fees (so this is not the ultimate solution).

However, I agree otherwise it is good they are doing something to help fix the limbo situation.

Cheers - Asiaplay

PS: while I am on the topic of charges, in relation to logic - QT should also note that if X-Payments price should also be reviewed - as clearly shown, other carts are not charging for this (a pricing level this high, will definitely stop people from using X-Cart for new licenses and shrink the business).
Old 07-03-2010, 08:40 PM

X-Wizard

I notice how most of the complainers here are using old carts with tons of mods that they apparently do not want to update, even though nearly all the mod makers have upgraded their mods to 4.3. With "thousands of dollars" or "6 figures at stake", one would think they would have upgraded to 4.3 by now. Instead, we hear complaints about how x-cart hasn't made a connector for their old cart, or how their site won't run on PHP 5.3, etc.

The x-payments topic has been under discussion for a long time now, it's no big secret that x-payments was going to be geared around the latest version of x-cart first. I'm sure there are probably people out there who are upset there is no x-connector for their 3.5 version cart.

If you have an older cart and choose not to upgrade it for whatever reason, fine, but that's a business decision/risk that YOU choose to make. The fact is, x-payments does work if you have the latest PHP and x-cart installed. So what are you going to do? I suggest you upgrade.
Apache 2.4
CENTOS 7.8 64Bit Single Quad-Core E3-1241v3 3.4Ghz 8M 1600 w/ HT
32GB RAM 2x 512GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD RAID 1
Old 07-03-2010, 09:18 PM

X-Wizard

@Kevinrm,

You have to remember that upgrading offers absolutely ZERO to people who spent a lot of time & dollars, to custom modify their stores (i.e. do not rely on 3rd party encoded mods - but use there own unique code).
Security updates are important, but to be honest our cart (and many others with older versions in their signature) run carts light years ahead of Version 4.4 even in terms of features and usability... therefore, to so called "upgrade" to those people, is a gaint leap back in time!

You have been around a long time also - so you should know that with every X-Cart update, their are problems where things stop working (basically functions break or are changed for no reason and it takes a long while before the latest version becomes stable).

Given these factors, upgrading to a lot of people would be a step backwards, a loss of time and hassles for no gain i.e. just not logical!

Also as discussed payments are CORE to any e-commerce software, so yes, that should be provided, rather than people forced to upgrade, for zero benefit... apart perhaps for technical reasons that are required (e.g. using php 5.3 perhaps).
Also payments is "modular" within X-Cart, there is NO NEED to upgrade the other code, when it is redundant to someone.

Really all the result of not providing connector's means, is extra hassle for X-Cart customers, who will all go and remake the wheel doing their own - it is also a joke to say, we have a payments solution (and will give you half of it).

So perhaps think of the logic, as to why many do not see any benefit to upgrade (and that being forced to is a waste of time and resources, ignoring any costs involved).

Just balancing your comment, so you can understand why many of those complaining are those who have spent the most time and effort and perhaps have the larger stores.

Cheers - Asiaplay

PS: I agree, if one runs a standard skin and thinks the features in more recent versions will drive their business better, then they should be upgrading perhaps... but for others, it should not be mandatory to just allow them to receive payments!

The following 2 users thank Asiaplay for this useful post:
EN4U (07-04-2010), Lingerieblowout (07-04-2010)
Old 07-03-2010, 09:31 PM

X-Wizard

Well, I do see your point regarding running non-standard, in-house mods. Very frustrating. Everything is a trade off I suppose. This compliance thing, however, is one of those things that is not going to go away - it has to be dealt with, it seems critical. So far I haven't seen where anyone has cracked the whip but it will probably happen soon. So "now" is the time to resolve this I think. It may mean having to choose a cart that doesn't work like you like for awhile over one that won't accept payments at all, unfortunately.

After using this for many years, I have now come to the conclusion that x-cart needs to be upgraded at least once a year, or two years max.
Apache 2.4
CENTOS 7.8 64Bit Single Quad-Core E3-1241v3 3.4Ghz 8M 1600 w/ HT
32GB RAM 2x 512GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD RAID 1
Old 07-03-2010, 10:42 PM

X-Wizard

Quote:
QT should also note that if X-Payments price should also be reviewed - as clearly shown, other carts are not charging for this (a pricing level this high, will definitely stop people from using X-Cart for new licenses and shrink the business).

If you read this post by Ruslan, it seems clear that the development costs and PA DSS compliance costs for X-Payments have been higher than they anticipated.

Yet - they promised free X-Payment license to all clients who purchased X-Cart before 1st of June - and they have affirmed that this promise will be kept.

The positive spin - is that existing license holders are getting the X-Payments module free - that would be all of us. This might be at the expense of future sales.

The drawback, is that QT made a decision to try and recover the development cost with new license purchases. At some point in time, the X-CART website will need to make this clear to new clients. It seems there will need to be an asterisk on their supported payment systems next to methods like Authorize.net AIM. That asterisk will be connected to a note that says "requires X-Payments mod - add another $389". The price then jumps from $115 to $504.

It is their call to make difficult decisions like this, and it then forces those of us who have gotten used to X-CART as a low-cost, powerful solution to now make difficult decisions about future purchases. From Ruslan's post referenced above, QT believes they are doing more to solve the PCI/PA issues, and do not believe their competitors in the same price space have solved the issue. It could also be we don't know the percentage of QT's customers that require X-Payments - so instead of spreading the cost over all X-CART license purchases - it is like any other addon - those who need it, have to pay for it. Those who don't, get a lower cost solution.

I hope they find a way to bring the cost of X-Payments down, but I can see how they got to where they are. This has been, and continues to be, very messy. But QT might be placating the existing customer base at the expense of future sales. Existing customers with no plans of a future purchase can at least take note of that.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:15 AM

Advanced Member

I'm running X-Cart v4.2.3 and using PayPal Website Payments Pro to accept credit cards on my website. Can someone tell me if I'm required to install X-Payments?

Thank you.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:18 AM

X-Adept

If I remember correctly, since I do not use PayPal Pro any longer, the customer enters credit card information on your site. If that is still the case, you must use X-Payments.
MySQL server 5.0.87-community
Operation system Linux
Perl 5.008008
dogbytecomputer.com

The following user thanks DogByteMan for this useful post:
fonesunlock (07-04-2010)
Old 07-04-2010, 12:27 PM

X-Adept

Correct Paypal Pro customers enter CC on your site - XPAY required
Paypal Standard customers enter CC on PayPal site - XPAY NOT required

Note: Any info a customer enters on your site that is personal must be on a secure page either of the above ways

http://www.topnichewebsites.com
Version 4.4.5

Michael
Old 07-04-2010, 02:46 PM

eXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaplay
@Kevinrm,

You have to remember that upgrading offers absolutely ZERO to people who spent a lot of time & dollars, to custom modify their stores (i.e. do not rely on 3rd party encoded mods - but use there own unique code).
Security updates are important, but to be honest our cart (and many others with older versions in their signature) run carts light years ahead of Version 4.4 even in terms of features and usability... therefore, to so called "upgrade" to those people, is a gaint leap back in time!

You have been around a long time also - so you should know that with every X-Cart update, their are problems where things stop working (basically functions break or are changed for no reason and it takes a long while before the latest version becomes stable).

Given these factors, upgrading to a lot of people would be a step backwards, a loss of time and hassles for no gain i.e. just not logical!

Also as discussed payments are CORE to any e-commerce software, so yes, that should be provided, rather than people forced to upgrade, for zero benefit... apart perhaps for technical reasons that are required (e.g. using php 5.3 perhaps).
Also payments is "modular" within X-Cart, there is NO NEED to upgrade the other code, when it is redundant to someone.

Really all the result of not providing connector's means, is extra hassle for X-Cart customers, who will all go and remake the wheel doing their own - it is also a joke to say, we have a payments solution (and will give you half of it).

So perhaps think of the logic, as to why many do not see any benefit to upgrade (and that being forced to is a waste of time and resources, ignoring any costs involved).

Just balancing your comment, so you can understand why many of those complaining are those who have spent the most time and effort and perhaps have the larger stores.

Cheers - Asiaplay

PS: I agree, if one runs a standard skin and thinks the features in more recent versions will drive their business better, then they should be upgrading perhaps... but for others, it should not be mandatory to just allow them to receive payments!

Absolutely 100% correct. My one site that handles Jewelry chain by the inch, is a completely hand written code that was developed for my store. It will break under the new. If QT would make seamless upgrades that would at least try to work with the past stuff maybe this all would be easier. Instead all we get is updates that break everything across the board. Upgrading, or in this case downgrading is not an option for me or to some others.

1 - One page checkout
2 - Image Generator
3 - CSDEO Pro
4 - Shop By Price
5 - Next - Previous
6 - On Sale
7 - Shop By Price

8 - Froogle & Google Base Feed
9 - Buy Together
10 - Customer Loyalty Points
11 - Customer Reward Points
Customer Reward Points Referral Add-on