Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Why is X-Cart 5 so unstable?

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 5 > Dev Questions (X-Cart 5)

Old 07-24-2014, 11:54 PM

Default Why is X-Cart 5 so unstable?

Hi,

We have now had the problem of the store being stuck in maintenance 4 times. Trying any solutions found on here do not work. We have done 3 total re-installs now, and now on the 4th occasion it has become a joke.

We have version 5 business, another store we have is running X-Cart 4 and we have had no problems. But time and time again we are experiencing problems with the new system.

Our URL is http://www.powerpartsuk.com

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-25-2014, 04:32 AM

Default Re: Why is X-Cart 5 so unstable?

it's true why is it so unstable; should not have release it for production use. Its mainly getting stuck at cache building process on step 4 and 5 , something to do with doctrine of symphony. Its basically not building cache but building entire application.
Old 07-27-2014, 04:03 AM

X-Adept

Have you asked x-cart to look at this? It could be something technical they can find

Ultimate 5.4 testing
Old 07-27-2014, 10:28 AM

X-Guru

The cache rebuilding process is delicate, anything that has been changed in the code, and perhaps even the development environment itself can make the rebuild fail. I encourage everyone to test on a dev copy of the store before initiating a rebuild on their live site.

During development with X-cart 5, I am rebuilding the cache quite frequently, but on the live site, it is not needed very often. I always test my new code on a copy before deploying it on the live server.

So I guess my advice is to increase the stability of XC5 and decrease the likelihood of ever having to re-install it, minimize the cache rebuilds on your live site, and always keep a working copy of the site on your local machine or in a sub-folder on the server.
Mike White - Now Accepting new clients and projects! Work with the best, get a US based development team for just $125 an hour. Call 1-502-773-6454, email mike at babymonkeystudios.com, or skype b8bym0nkey

XcartGuru
X-cart Tutorials | X-cart 5 Tutorials

Check out the responsive template for X-cart.

The following user thanks totaltec for this useful post:
tony_sologubov (07-29-2014)
Old 07-28-2014, 04:15 AM

eXpert

I have the same issues ... every time I updated to latest version it failed - Im still at 5.1.2 as I cant update without it failing in dev or live

Have had to rebuild from scratch twice but now the site is active and customers using it not a option - I have already dropped to half the original customers I had due to this being so unstable and slow.......

Really need it rectifying

I have not amended any code just added items as you do.....

It does need sorting asap

http://wemakeanyshirt.com X5 with x-Cart Mobile in build
Old 07-29-2014, 05:27 AM

X-Cart team

Hi guys!

Sorry for being silent in this thread of quite a while. I could not get back to you due to personal issues.

Anyway, I sent emails to kokeyuk1 and xanadude. If this problem is actual for you jp@ewaycorp.com, please let me know and we will decide how we can help you.

Guys, I am really sorry to hear that you are facing such problems. In our test environment it all works fine, but I do appreciate that you report about such problems. It allows us to learn more about them and apply such fixes to the software, so it would become more stable.

Eventually, we all will get more stable software.

Tony.

The following user thanks tony_sologubov for this useful post:
totaltec (07-29-2014)
Old 07-29-2014, 06:25 AM

Advanced Member

Re X-Cart 5 being stuck in maintenance mode, I discovered two things that seemed to be true.

-If you are attempting to install a new module and the cache rebuild fails on step 9, you could have a syntax error in one of the files. This was the case with me.

-If you have a cache rebuild fail on steps 1-5, it could be a connection timeout. If you can't increase the time to 300 seconds, get hosting somewhere else.

I got hosting at Total Solutions (formerly EWD) and that fixed this timeout issue for me entirely.

The following 2 users thank Andrew_J for this useful post:
qualiteam (07-30-2014), totaltec (07-29-2014)
Old 07-29-2014, 12:18 PM

X-Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_J
I got hosting at Total Solutions (formerly EWD) and that fixed this timeout issue for me entirely.
The hosting environment is extremely important for X-cart 5. Much more so than X-cart 4. I have recently run into major issues trying to run XC5 on a Windows environment, it simply will not function properly as of version 5.1.4, previous versions had some simple bugs as well.

Highly recommend hosting with TSS, they are the only host I know of with any experience setting up the proper environment for XC5.
Mike White - Now Accepting new clients and projects! Work with the best, get a US based development team for just $125 an hour. Call 1-502-773-6454, email mike at babymonkeystudios.com, or skype b8bym0nkey

XcartGuru
X-cart Tutorials | X-cart 5 Tutorials

Check out the responsive template for X-cart.

The following 2 users thank totaltec for this useful post:
Andrew_J (07-29-2014), xplorer (07-30-2014)
Old 07-30-2014, 12:56 AM

X-Cart team

Quote:
Originally Posted by totaltec
I have recently run into major issues trying to run XC5 on a Windows environment, it simply will not function properly as of version 5.1.4

I had the same issue, and, as far as I know, it will be fixed in the next version. At least the most recent dev build works on my Windows 7 local server again.

The following user thanks xplorer for this useful post:
totaltec (07-30-2014)
Old 07-30-2014, 06:05 AM

Advanced Member

In my opinion, anyone with any concern for security or any other important metric that I can think of will not run a windows server environment anyway.

Having XC run well on windows server shouldn't be a priority considering all the other important issues that need to be addressed.
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 5 > Dev Questions (X-Cart 5)