Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

AlteredCart: Checkout One, On Sale... is Bill still around?

Closed Thread
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Third Party Add-Ons for X-Cart 4

Old 05-26-2016, 01:19 PM

Veteran

Default Re: alteredCart is closed

I am sorry to see you go Bill. Over the years I have recommended your products to clients and here on the forum. I cannot say you let anyone down.

Being in the same or similar position as ecommerce dev (and XC dev) I know what you mean and how you feel. It is unfortunate to see some of the best XC modules being left to die but I understand your position. No one can blame you.

I wish you good luck and hope to work with you in the future as well regardless of the platform. All the best.

The following user thanks cflsystems for this useful post:
BBM_ (05-26-2016)
Old 05-26-2016, 04:50 PM

X-Guru

OMG. That is all I can say. You have been instrumental in this community. Its appreciated. I've learned a lot from you just by observation, and consider you a friend.

I'm glad you have found a way forward! And I wish you the best of luck.

Stay classy.
Mike White - Now Accepting new clients and projects! Work with the best, get a US based development team for just $125 an hour. Call 1-502-773-6454, email mike at babymonkeystudios.com, or skype b8bym0nkey

XcartGuru
X-cart Tutorials | X-cart 5 Tutorials

Check out the responsive template for X-cart.

The following user thanks totaltec for this useful post:
BBM_ (05-26-2016)
Old 05-26-2016, 05:29 PM

X-Adept

I can only share in the sentiment above that I'm sorry to see you go Bill, and wish to thank you for all of your efforts, contributions and support over the years.

It's a significant loss for the community and platform.

I do sincerely wish you all the best for the future, and I'm hopeful our paths will continue to cross.

The following user thanks BBM_ for this useful post:
totaltec (05-26-2016)
Old 05-26-2016, 09:14 PM

Bill,

I wish to thank you heartily for your participation in many successful ecommerce site. Checkout One is all-time favorite.

I can understand your hard decision.

Best to you
https://www.linkedin.com/in/dhvanit/
Old 05-27-2016, 07:17 AM

X-Cart team

Default Re: AlteredCart: Checkout One, On Sale... is Bill still around?

It's sad news.

Qualiteam says great thanks to Bill, one of the long-term community members and module creators, for all the years supported X-Cart and our customers. However, since Bill decided to move with his own shopping cart solution and started advertising it to X-Cart customers, we have to close the access X-Cart forums to Bill.

What I can do is to explain that moving from X-Cart - the result of 15 years of efforts of 100+ people and we still have things to improve - to a self-made shopping cart based on a self-made framework is not a good idea at any glance. I don't see how one man has time to develop and support the entire platform.

Since X-Cart 5 release, we prefer that our partners adapt their modules themselves, instead re-implementing it on our side. That's why there is still no alternatives for AlteredCart addons. Now it's a great chance for the community to take Bill's share of the pie.

PS: I will attend X-Cart Orlando Meetup at Jun 2nd and will announce some new superior features and share the roadmap for both X-Cart 4 and X-Cart 5. The registration is free, and there's still a couple of seats left. Register here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/x-cart-meetup-registration-24017101798

The following 3 users thank xim for this useful post:
elmirage001 (05-27-2016), PhilJ (05-27-2016), totaltec (05-27-2016)
Old 10-17-2016, 06:14 AM

Default Alteredcart dead, so we're doomed?

Just got an email (actually the 1st one, I never read about this earlier) that Alteredcart is stopping and I have to pay (!) again for the open version.
Also php 7 is not supported?

Is php 7 and 4.7.6 supported if I pay that $75 again then or still not?

I really hate this. Until now every single thing we bought for X-Cart stopped development and support quickly after they got our money.
Maybe it's time to look if transforming to a new platform in stead of X-Cart is an option.
Not happy with this.
@Linux php5.6, mysql5.6, dedicated server
iDeal Advanced v3.3.1 integration
Old 10-17-2016, 07:03 AM

X-Wizard

Default Re: Alteredcart dead, so we're doomed?

Bill is saying that you need to purchase the the full source code version if you want compatibility with PHP 7 and future versions of X-Cart 4.x.x. I purchased the full version of his mod that I use a few months ago when he sent out his initial notice as I do intend to use PHP 7 and future X-Cart 4.x.x versions.

Quote:
The current alteredCart installations running right now will continue to operate (they are not affected by alteredCart closing). However, if you plan to update to PHP 7 or upgrade to newer versions of X-Cart 4.7 the existing ioncube version of alteredCart modules will not be compatible.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmirage001
Bill is saying that you need to purchase the the full source code version if you want compatibility with PHP 7 and future versions of X-Cart 4.x.x. I purchased the full version of his mod that I use a few months ago when he sent out his initial notice as I do intend to use PHP 7 and future X-Cart 4.x.x versions.

So DOES it work or do you need to alter the code yourself in order to make it work? I only bought the module recently, so I don't want to sink another $75 if it doesn't run on php7 already, beacause otherwise I have to hire someone else to do so and it'll cost me even more, again.

I never got that 'initial notice'.

It's Checkout One that I use bu the way.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:43 AM

Veteran

If you posted here hoping for Bill to answer - I think you are out of luck. I believe he is not allowed to post in XC forum anymore.

The module(s) you have purchased from alteredCart - if they are encrypted you can use them now but if you upgrade your PHP or cart version in the future these modules will not work. The encryption will not be compatible with newer PHP version and XC may change code or tables.

What the email is telling you is that you can now purchase the module unencrypted so anyone can further modify it for you (or you can do this yourself). Whether it will be for PHP or XC compatibility or to simply tweak the module your way or add more features to it...

You do not have to purchase anything. Only if you plan of using these modules in the future. And in this case you can only benefit from that.
For sure none of the alteredCart modules are PHP 7 ready.

Quote:
Until now every single thing we bought for X-Cart stopped development and support quickly after they got our money
Considering Bill has been around making XC modules for like 10 years this does not apply to him.

The following 2 users thank cflsystems for this useful post:
elmirage001 (10-17-2016), ITVV (10-17-2016)
Old 10-17-2016, 08:03 AM

I'm not hoping for him to respond but maybe the community can wake up. Why pay another $75 for a module that has "ioncube removal" as the only update. That's bad practice.

So if anybody already bought the full open code, I'm willing to share the costs.
Closed Thread
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Third Party Add-Ons for X-Cart 4