Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

How do I change the "out of stock" message to "sold out"?

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design

Old 08-21-2010, 04:02 AM

X-Wizard

Default Re: How do I change the "out of stock" message to "sold out"?

this kind of thing is quite specific to your business/industry. For example, for me it would be useless, I can't get stock that quickly from suppliers, and we run on very small quantities of any item.

I do have a similar mod, but that's getting OT for this post

Previous Versions included
BCSE Reward Points Mod
Altered Cart On Sale Mod
Wordpress Plugin

Please don't PM me for support. I help where I can on the forum and your question will more likely be answered there.

Shout me a Coffee!
Old 08-21-2010, 01:27 PM

eXpert

Amy

Would it not be wise in your circumstance to rather set something up that will auto disable your products that is out of stock so that they do not show up at all on your shop front? Just a suggestion, personally I never liked sites that display products as "out of stock" or "sold out" as I can't see the point of it.

Customers can't buy the product and they can't order the product, it's like unwrapping a lollypop and holding it in front of a 3 year old and saying sorry but you can't have it, unless there is another purpose for displaying those products?

Dan

Xcart version:
4.1.10 GOLD
Old 08-21-2010, 02:00 PM

X-Wizard

I've actually got mine set up in quite a specific way fir a few reasons sometimes products will be back in stock so the page gives them the option of being notified when it's back in stock the page also links to alternative products which may be suitable I also have it set so items I gave marked as prepress can be sold and offer the instock notification as well the thing us that often there's a sudden rush on certain items so it sells out but we don't want to completely remove the page as e want customers to know that we do stock the best and most popular items too also when items are linked from an external site f they are disabled you just get a page not found error which is even more annoying than not in stock. As I said these things are really very specific to a target Market industry and store.

BCSE Reward Points Mod
Altered Cart On Sale Mod
Wordpress Plugin

Please don't PM me for support. I help where I can on the forum and your question will more likely be answered there.

Shout me a Coffee!
Old 08-21-2010, 11:35 PM

eXpert

Must say it is a good idea to have a "notify when back in stock" option.

My biggest problem with my site is when products get discontinued. I sell PC components and technology keep moving forward and as a result some items not only go out of stock but manufacturers stop manufacturing them so I have to delete those items. So I get the "page not found" as a result on those items. I know I should not delete products but what choice do I have if they will never be back in stock again?

Dan

Xcart version:
4.1.10 GOLD
Old 08-21-2010, 11:38 PM

X-Wizard

this is where the hidden but available for sale status comes in. As the product is hidden, it doesn't appear in the listings as a customer browses or searches, but if they come in from a link, just as an external referrer, or a search engine etc, it shows the product, and shows it out of stock, which you could rename as discontinued. By educating the customer you help them make an alternative choice, preferably from your store instead of thinking you just don't stock it and moving on to another site.

Also, by deleting products you are destroying your order history as the product data will not be in those old orders.

BCSE Reward Points Mod
Altered Cart On Sale Mod
Wordpress Plugin

Shout me a Coffee!
Old 08-22-2010, 12:05 AM

eXpert

All understood, thanks for that! But we are talking about hundreds of products that will build up over time that is discontinued at least 50-100 a month that goes discontinued or my suppliers decide not to sell them anymore. Do a count over 5 years and you will need a lot of space on your server for products that does not exist.

Mine does not destroy the order history completely it leaves me with the product name and price it was sold for but yes the actual product info is gone.

Like you said each shop is specific but this is a bit worrying deleting so many products. My other issue is my "refine your search" because products that are disabled still show up in there if they are only disabled

Dan

Xcart version:
4.1.10 GOLD
Old 08-22-2010, 07:46 AM

X-Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan.roh
This is what was done. My inventory remained un touched. So all my products is set to 100 000 in stock. This way they will never become out of stock

An extra field was put in where you upload new products called "stock indicator" and in there you specify the amount that is in stock. Also, if "stock indicator" = 1 or above it will display in a language variable on my site in green - "In Stock Now" and everything in my "stock indicator" that is 0(zero) will display on my site as "Pre-order" in orange. And therefore xcart allows you to checkout because you have 100 000 in stock even if you have Zero

Works for me!

How to do that ??

Old 08-22-2010, 08:12 AM

eXpert

Learner

If you are confident with coding I can provide you with my files but my product layout is different from yours so you might need to change it. Otherwise you are welcome to ask Carrie from BCS Engineering to do it for you and you can quote this post as permission from me so that Carrie can access my admin to remind herself what she has done so that it can be applied on yours.

The 2 main files that were edited are product.tpl and products.tpl which I can provide you the code for.

I am not sure what other files was edited to add the extra field named "stock indicator" when you upload new products and if there was any other files involved

If you know which files it is that you would need let me know and I can provide the code

Dan

Xcart version:
4.1.10 GOLD
Old 08-22-2010, 09:30 PM

X-Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan.roh
Learner

If you are confident with coding I can provide you with my files but my product layout is different from yours so you might need to change it. Otherwise you are welcome to ask Carrie from BCS Engineering to do it for you and you can quote this post as permission from me so that Carrie can access my admin to remind herself what she has done so that it can be applied on yours.

The 2 main files that were edited are product.tpl and products.tpl which I can provide you the code for.

I am not sure what other files was edited to add the extra field named "stock indicator" when you upload new products and if there was any other files involved

If you know which files it is that you would need let me know and I can provide the code

To do that customization please provide me the codes which will need.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:26 AM

eXpert

Learner,

As stated above, I do not know which files was edited it was too long ago. I do know that product.tpl and products.tpl was edited but there was more which I don't know which files it is. You would need to get in contact with Carrie from BCS Engineering to set it up for you.

The only time that I would be able to provide you the code is if you knew what files was needed

Dan

Xcart version:
4.1.10 GOLD
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design