Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Disabling update/upgrade search?

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 5 > General questions (X-Cart 5)

Old 11-08-2020, 02:16 AM

X-Adept

Default Disabling update/upgrade search?

Hi, I have a dev store using 5.4.0.11 version. It seems it is impossible to upgrade to
5.4.1.x for license issue (there is no longer free license for 5.4.1.x). And today, I discovered that I couldn't even upgrade the core to 5.4.0.13. So I wonder if there is a way to disable search for new versions, since it is just a sheer waste of resources. If not, I would like to make the update/upgrade button disappear. Is there any way of doing this?
Old 11-13-2020, 08:13 PM

X-Wizard

Default Re: Disabling update/upgrade search?

Maybe worth a read if you've not seen them already:

https://forum.x-cart.com/showpost.php?p=414809&postcount=46
&
https://forum.x-cart.com/showthread.php?t=78041
Old 11-14-2020, 06:30 AM

Veteran

From what I see there is no more free version of XC. Latest 5.4.1.18 even hides the option to continue with free license. It is still there but hidden and hard to find.

The free license allowed to get at least minor bug fixing updated. Not anymore. Looks like once installed you either purchase a license or you are stuck with whatever you installed. Which makes the free license actually a test license.

I just started new site upgrade and installed 5.4.1.17. Couple days later 5.4.1.18 showed up but I can't upgrade to it because I still don't have a license for the core. And I don't have a license because - get this - you cannot purchase one from XC site anymore unless you go through some form and probably wait for them to contact you and try to push cloud. The place in the helpdesk where you can buy modules and services had the different licenses listed before for direct purchase - not anymore.

Something is cooking up with XC software and so far it looks to me it is not in favor of existing users and devs. It may benefit new ones but that's also questionable at this point.

Oh and by the way the upgrade to 5.4.1.18 introduces some issue with real time shipping (so far I can confirm for UPS, FedEx, USPS modules) - if active even without rates being setup it makes checkout almost impossible. A client suffered through this and I have tested it on my dev store which is stock XC. Not sure if it affects all but from what my test shows it does.
Old 11-17-2020, 07:21 PM

X-Wizard

FWIW As previously mentioned, we've (luckily) never had the core licensing issue that many others have. That might be because; We've never bothered with the XC5 free licence release scenario and / or we carry out everything (mods / own changes / customisation etc) on our server, not locally. Its hard to be absolutely sure with XC5...

In terms of the latest XC5 update, we didn't see XC 5.4.1.18 at Merchant Wave, it progressed from XC 5.4.1.17 straight to XC 5.4.1.19. No problems (for us) for a change(!) with this XC5 upgrade, but worth noting for this specific thread, that there's changes to the files shown below, which might be relevant:

Code:
/skins/admin/modules_manager/activate_key/body.twig /skins/admin/modules_manager/activate_key_v2/activate_key.twig /skins/admin/trial_notice_v2/activate_key.twig /skins/admin/trial_notice_v2/body.twig /skins/admin/trial_notice/body.twig /skins/customer/trial_notice_v2/activate_key.twig /skins/customer/trial_notice_v2/body.twig /skins/customer/trial_notice/body.twig

The following user thanks Triple A Racing for this useful post:
Ed B. (11-18-2020)
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 5 > General questions (X-Cart 5)