Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

X-Cart 4.6 released

X-Cart forums > News and Announcements

Old 06-11-2013, 07:32 AM

Veteran

Default Re: X-Cart 4.6 released

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksenia
Steve, thank you for attentive approach.
We assume that this very issue appears only on those servers where 755 are not sufficient, and such servers should allow 777.

So the potential problem you're asking about seems to exist in theory only.

But should it really appear, the architects will offer a solution or at least a workaround.
Thank you but that means you are aware of the problem but will not do anything unless someone reports they are having problems with this... which means their store will be partially or non- functional in this area....
Old 06-11-2013, 07:35 AM

Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksenia
Tony, thank you for your question. Yes, you faced an issue which is a price for win in speed. Let me explain further.

This issue appears only when products are being switched from NOT available to available ( enabled, returned to stock etc), and never vice versa (if the product gets out of stock/disabled/removed, it disappears right away).

This is what we call 'product publishing time'. By default this time does not exceed 1 hour - till cache expires.

Possible solutions:

1) the easiest is to wait - no more than 1 hour (unless you modified cache ttl in config)

2) Clear cache by executing cleanup.php. Note that to execute this script you need auth code now, so the URL should look like this:

yourdomain.com/cleanup.php?auth_code=AUTH_CODE_GOES_HERE

Important: this script will clear all the caches (modules functions, Smarty) and your store will temporary slow down as the caches will need to be rebuilt.

3) You may play with cache TTL value in include/data_cache.php

Code:
'getRangeProductIds' => array( 'func' => 'getRangeProductIds', 'class' => 'XCRangeProductIds', 'ttl' => 3600, // 60 minutes to invalidate cache bt:#0132187 'use_func_cache_logic' => TRUE, 'dir' => 'search_cache', 'hashedDirectoryLevel' => 1,

But if you set it to too small value, and your store will need to rebuild cache too often, you will hardly enjoy the win in speed.

4) the most accurate solution ( if you want to speed up the product appearing but not affect the speed in general) is to clear not all the caches, but search cache only:

Code:
rm -r var/cache/search_cache/

Also, X-Cart architects will keep working on making X-Cart caching 'smarter'.
Does this means that the speed XC gained with the new version is due to caching? So the dynamic portion is becoming partially static?
Was anything done to sql statements to improve the way they are build and ran as this has always been one of the slow sections of XC, use of indexing, etc....?
Old 06-11-2013, 09:21 AM

X-Wizard

My Hot Products module (4.5.5) would not install on 4.6.0 and I do not see a 4.6.0 zip in my files area. Is the 4.5.5 version supposed to work on 4.6.0? Thank you.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinrm
Has anyone successfully upgraded from 4.5.5. to 4.6.0? How did it go?

I tried it on http://www.tinycontrols.com, and quickly reverd back to 4.5.5 because of modrewrite issues. By the way after that I installed fresh 4.6.0 as well and got the same problem.
The issue is with clean urls, product pages gives error while all other urls work fine (category urls, static page urls work fine).

I was not able to do much testing as I was dumb enough to do it on production site and was panic to revert back as soon as possible.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:06 AM

eXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by anil420
... The issue is with clean urls, product pages gives error while all other urls work fine (category urls, static page urls work fine).

Similar problem here. Update from 4.5.5 to 4.6.0 went smoothly with no errors whatsoever.

However any attempt to open a product page from category product list or "Featured products" section results in

Quote:
HTTP Error 500 (Internal Server Error): An unexpected condition was encountered while the server was attempting to fulfill the request.

No matter if clean URLs are used or not.

The same product pages would open without a problem from the Sitemap page or from "Upselling products" section.

Any clues?!?

P.S. Same issue as above also when upgrading with fresh 4.6.0 files + database updated from 4.5.5 to 4.6.0
Old 06-12-2013, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sembroidery
Any attempt to open a product page from category product list or "Featured products" section results in

No matter if clean URLs are used or not.

I confirm that the issue is there no matter clean urls used or not.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:24 PM

Veteran

So I finally got some spare time to install and play a little bit with this new version. Newly downloaded copy. Some observations

1. No problem with the installation itself - installed as evaluation copy to get rid of the new built-in security so it is not in the way.
2. It still installs with default account "master" even though I have mentioned this before (way before 4.6.0 was released) and XC said they will change it... not changed
3. Tried to changed admin password to "master" - received an error - this is good.
4. Had no problems enable/disable modules.
5. Advanced Statistics module is still ENABLED by default - this needs to be OFF, we all know it. So Bestsellers module still depends on it.
6. Disabling Advanced Statistics module does not disable Bestsellers module - or dependency is not implemented yet?
7. No problem with Next/Prev products.
8. No errors on front end with or without clean urls on.
9. This version creates a lot of cached files in /var/cache directory so anyone should expect /var directory to get huge in size.

Questions on this here to XC - is this some sort of similar html catalog pages? How often are they regenerated? I did not see anything in admin settings about cache but I may have missed it.

10. OPC - the new way of having payment section before shipping section and also payment section being active even if no customer info is available makes me dislike XC OPC even more. Now we have a really weird mix of active / non-active sections on the checkout page. Can't you guys make it straight forward - either all sections on the page are active and ajax or non-active sections are hidden and accessible only when previous section has been activated....
11. Another inconsistence continues to exist on checkout page - billing/shipping addresses are separated by "create account" section. Create account section is labeled "create account for this username" (when email as login is not in use) and the section is closed by default - so which username? The question is there without the fields being visible so there is no username at this point....
12. Still same ugly system messages at the top right corner of the screen...
13. Minimum order amount still works the same way - customer has to click on checkout just to find out the are being redirected to a page that tells them the cart total is less than order minimum - while a simple if statement will just hide the checkout button with a message when customer goes to cart (same for minicart)
14. Same address book - no changes there - so adding company shows at the end of the fields and actually before "email" field to make it even more weird
15. PayPal has built-in "enable bill me later promotion" which is good but I did not see it in action. Also be aware there are 2 update buttons on the paypal payment method page in admin - each one work for different things
16. Even though I set images to "file system" on the installation screen the Affiliate images were still set to database after installation
17. Create Order in admin - works without specifying customer and items to purchase. Just click on "create new order" and an order is created - exit it and that order stays with ordered and no items to purchase, $0 total. It shouldn't be like this...
18. From the above - anonymous customer was created which found its way to customers table which is good - so finally anonymous customers are once again treated as customers...

The following 4 users thank cflsystems for this useful post:
anandat (06-12-2013), carpeperdiem (06-12-2013), elmirage001 (06-12-2013), Jon (06-12-2013)
Old 06-13-2013, 03:03 AM

X-Cart team

Thank you for your new comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cflsystems
Thank you but that means you are aware of the problem but will not do anything unless someone reports they are having problems with this... which means their store will be partially or non- functional in this area....

I'm afraid we can not agree. We don't leave the store partially or non-functional unless someone reports the problem, we just consider that there will be no such problem.

There are only 2 possible cases from our point of view (Of course I'm speaking not about all the servers/permissions etc in general, I mean the particular issue reported by Jeremy):

1)755 is sufficient on the first group of servers. No need to change permissions.

2)755 is not sufficient on the second group of servers due to specific configuration, 777 is required, and 777 is allowed on such servers.

Third case (755 is not sufficient and 777 is not possible) exists only in your assumption so far. So we prefer to concentrate on more 'real' issues, at least now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cflsystems
Does this means that the speed XC gained with the new version is due to caching? So the dynamic portion is becoming partially static?
Was anything done to sql statements to improve the way they are build and ran as this has always been one of the slow sections of XC, use of indexing, etc....?

The IDs of products from categories, as well as product IDs for search queries are being cached now, and during the repeated view of the category X-Cart uses the ids from cache.

But unlike to HTML-catalog , it's product IDs only, which is being cached. All the other product info ( price, description, quantity in stock) is taken from DB each time.

Compared to v 4.5.5, v 4.6 uses the ids cache as an additional condition of the search queries executed in v 4.5.5. Additionally, product IDs cache is used for 'Next-Previous' feature ( that's why this feature doesn't slow the product page down).

At the same time, this is not the only optimization, there were lots of others, say, func_search_products function ( used for New Arrivals, Recommended Products, Bestsellers and other lists) was optimized without using caches at all.

Quote:
HTTP Error 500 (Internal Server Error): An unexpected condition was encountered while the server was attempting to fulfill the request.

Without access to the store the problem can not be defined for sure. But we suppose that directory 'var' lacks permissions ( it should be writable), which is one of differences between v.4.5.5 and v.4.6.

The 'var' directory should have the following permissions:
http://help.x-cart.com/index.php?title=X-Cart:Setting_up_file_permissions#Temporary_and_ser vice_directories:_Directory_var

If changing the permissions would not help, please try visiting this page for additional information about the origin of the error:
http://help.x-cart.com/index.php?title=X-Cart:500_Internal_server_error

Or report the problem into the HelpDesk and the support engineers will help.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:34 AM

X-Cart team

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmirage001
My Hot Products module (4.5.5) would not install on 4.6.0 and I do not see a 4.6.0 zip in my files area. Is the 4.5.5 version supposed to work on 4.6.0? Thank you.

Thank you for letting us know about the problem.

No, the module developed for v 4.5.5 is not supposed to work with v 4.6. There's a special archive (x-hot-products-4.6.0.zip/x-hot-products-4.6.0.tgz). Because of technical problem it was uploaded to the FileArea incorrectly. Now the problem is fixed and the package is there. Additionally, I've sent the archive to you via HelpDesk (Message id: 1075106617).

We're also making sure if the other modules are uploaded and available.

The following user thanks Ksenia for this useful post:
elmirage001 (06-13-2013)
Old 06-13-2013, 04:49 AM

Advanced Member

Hello guys,

A question: after upgrading to 4.6.0, I keep getting an empty dialog box on every page. Any idea what causes this?
   X-Cart forums > News and Announcements