Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Variable Pricing - 'Name Your Price' modification

X-Cart forums > Considering X-Cart > Considering using X-Cart for my project

Old 04-06-2011, 08:34 AM

Exclamation Variable Pricing - 'Name Your Price' modification

Good day!

I need to find out if this can be done with XCart and also whom we can hire to make the modification. If this is something you can do, please send me an email on billy.mead@tradepointaces.com

1. Create a new field for when setting up a Product, "Lowest Accepted Sale Price"... this is where the site admin enters in the lowest price that would be accepted for any given product. Then you would want to add a flag to check off if this product was going to be a normal or Name Your Price product. If it's a NYP product, the no price is displayed on the front end and shoppers have to try and guess. There will be suggested prices shown from the top 5 competitors to help give shoppers an idea of what to shoot for. If the product is flagged as a normal product, then all NYP functions are ignored.
2. Create a new shopper input Field on the front-end Product Detail page for someone to enter in a price "Name Your Price" (only for Name Your Price products). When they click a 'Submit Price' button, it checks against the Lowest Accepted Price field above and if it's a match or higher, then load the item into the cart at that accepted price. Otherwise give the shopper a message "Price too Low", etc. Again, if submitted price is equal to or higher then the price set in the back end, just load the item in the cart and allow shopping to continue or checkout. The only criteria is that in order for the Name Your Price function to be active, customer must have created a User Account and be logged into it. Otherwise, do not show the Name Your Price functions. And customers must also have credit card details already stored in their account.

Thanks for reading!

Billy
Old 04-06-2011, 08:37 AM

Default Re: Variable Pricing - 'Name Your Price' modification

Also, can someone tell me how to access the forum 'Professional Help Services - Requests' I am getting a message that I cannot view that forum and also can't contact a moderator.

Thanks!
Old 04-06-2011, 02:41 PM

Veteran

I don't think you can access that part of the forum until you actually purchase an XC license.
As for the price question - yes it can be done. Some part of it (like enter your price functionality) already exists under certain conditions. Hiding price or enter price until customer logs in also can be done. Storing CC info is a big NO-NO, even though XC supports it out of the box
You can contact me with details (email in signature)
Old 04-06-2011, 03:29 PM

Thanks Steve, I will send you an email.

I wish I could get the client to understand about storing credit cards but he says "everywhere I go, they store my credit card (Amazon ,etc.)" So I'm defenseless in that fight!!
Old 04-06-2011, 04:57 PM

X-Wizard

Explain to your client that Amazon actually does not store the credit card information and most online stores don't. What they store is an authentication token from the payment gateway that allows you to continue to make additional transactions over and over.

This is why when you enter a new billing or shipping address (some credit card BINs require that the shipping address is on file with the bank) on Amazon they require you to enter a credit card again. Many payment gateways support this style of vault payments such as Authorize.net CIM, Braintree, USA ePay etc.

It's a common misconception that these companies store the full credit card information when they do not. They just store a transaction token that they can keep using. I could be mistaken but I think it's now actually in violation of laws to store full bin information even for ARB (recurring billing).
Old 04-06-2011, 08:06 PM

Veteran

I also doubt your client is as big as the guys he tries to compare to, they have the money and resources to manage something like this if they do it. The fines and consequences in a case of a breach (or a regular audit) are to high to risk it like this. Customer is not always right But I understand what you are saying
Old 04-06-2011, 08:22 PM

X-Wizard

There may be an affordable way for a small merchant to have similar functionality with X-CART (without storing credit card information) that you might show to your client after speaking with BCSE about using Braintree and their vault capabilities - see this thread. I've not seen anyone report on these forums about a successful implementation with Authorize.net CIM and X-Cart - but you can vote for an implementation of CIM with x-payments at ideas.x-cart.com.

----
   X-Cart forums > Considering X-Cart > Considering using X-Cart for my project