Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Adding surcharge for specific credit card

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design

Old 02-24-2004, 08:44 PM

Default Adding surcharge for specific credit card

I want to ad %3 surcharge for any order which choose American Express as Credit Card.
The problem is in the second step of Checkout process we will ask for Payment option and when customer choose Credit Card they will go to 3rd step of Checkout, I want, if customer choose American Express then page be refresh and the "Order Total" shows extra %3 surcharge and it would be grate if we can show this surcharge amount as a separate line in the cart section and then the Order Total = Subtotal + Discount+ Shipping+Tax+ Surcharge(American Express).

I tried many ways but I couldn't figure it out how to make it by changing the templates, I think the logic is:

if card type == AMEX then
$cart.total_cost=1.03 X $cart.total_cost
Save this amount in database
refresh the page
show the new Order total plus the surcharge amount.

Is there any easier method to do this or can anybody please help me with that.
Many thanks.
-----------------------------
I am using 3.4.6
Old 02-26-2004, 05:31 AM

Hi Mozalina,

I will also have to implement something like this: an additional fee for a certain payment method. I'll let you know, when I've managed it. (But sorry: It won't be tomorrow )

But I believe, that you won't be able to accomplish what you want by edititing templates. Probably one has to change a few php scripts and - for a clean solution even some small changes to the database should be required (additional field in table xcart_payment_methods)

However, I also want to mention, that I believe, that it would make great sense, if this functionality would be incorporated in future releases of xcart, since for example here in Germany it is absolutely common to charge extra for the payment method COD (Cash on delivery)

regards,
Chris
Old 02-26-2004, 06:00 AM

Thats illegal by the way, surcharging credit cards. Its in your merchant agreement. cash vs credit card vs other credit cards. If you do it, you better make it invisible.
Old 02-26-2004, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by concepts
Thats illegal by the way, surcharging credit cards. Its in your merchant agreement. cash vs credit card vs other credit cards. If you do it, you better make it invisible.

In Australia surcharging the credit card is not illegal, and many companies using this new role to surcharge consumers, I put some section from government web site here:

Credit card surcharges and bank fees:

"
Why have I been charged a surcharge for using my credit card?

In August 2002 the Reserve Bank of Australia released three credit card related reforms. One of these removed credit card rules that prevented merchants from recouping the cost of merchant service fees directly from consumers who purchased goods or services using a credit card.б═This means that from 1 January 2003 consumers could be charged an additional fee when they purchase goods or services with their credit card.

How much should the credit card fee be?

The Reserve BankБ─≥s reforms allow the merchantБ─≥s bank (i.e. the provider of the merchantБ─≥s credit card 'swipe machine' facility) to restrict their merchants from charging a fee that is greater than the merchant service fee.

The ACCC does not have a 'price setting power'б═for credit card fees.б═It strongly encourages consumers to include the cost of the credit card fee when deciding what they wish to purchase and to shop around to get the best value for their needs.

"

I am not sure about other contries but here in Australia this is ligal and I think this option to add extra surcharge to credit card payment is a must have option for x-cart specially by an admin area to be able adjust percentage of surcharging for each kind of credit card.

chris5000
Thanks for your comment , please let me know when you impliment something for it.

Regards,
Mozalina
Old 02-26-2004, 03:18 PM

X-Adept

I think that this is something that should be paid for to include ONLY if you need it. If it is a default part of X-CART then you will have alot of people deciding to charge these fees without even knowing that it is illegal in their area.

I think that if it were automatically built in that it would be a large liability for X-CART.

That being said, I would suggest contacting the development team directly to have them develop it for your instance.
Old 02-27-2004, 05:08 AM

@TelaFirma:

As mentioned, there are other payment methods but credit card which are commonly go with an addtional charge. (COD here in Germany). Therfore the feature definetly shouldn't be restricted to credit cards but simply to any payment method (Just an extra field in the database and in the payment method screen of the admin area + displaying and calculating the additional cost during checkout).

The problem of illegal surcharges for credit card payments could easily solved by siimply mentioning this issue in a note at the top of the payment methods administration.

regards,
Chris
Old 02-27-2004, 07:03 AM

X-Man

In the UK alot of companies especially computer hardware ones charge a 2.5% surcharge for taking credit cards (not debit ones)

You have to make it clear to the customer that if they are ordering with a CC then an additional charge will be made.

It's generally better to buffer that charge in your base product price though, customers hate extra charges like that.

Used by X-carters the world over:
Marketing Manager Pro Bundle For X-cart
Featured Product Manager for X-cart
Feed manager pro for X-cart

http://www.firetanksoftware.com

Celebrating 7 Years of providing quality X-cart Add ons and X-cart Mods for x-cart 3.X to X-cart 4.4.X
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design