Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

BCSE Mod Installation + Some Questions

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Third Party Add-Ons for X-Cart 4

Old 03-08-2007, 01:55 PM

Advanced Member

Default BCSE Mod Installation + Some Questions

I just downloaded all 4 of the free META Mods From BCSE. I noticed the BCSE Product Meta Tags Mod says it only supports x-cart 4.0. Is this an issue. I wanted to ask before I installed it.

Also I have installed the others that said they will work with 4.1.x. If it says ADD so and so BEFORE so and so. You add it on a new line directly above correct? So I just enter down to make a new row and paste correct? stupid questions just want to be sure its done right.

There is also a few inconsistencies.. When Installing Categoy Meta Title in 4.1.6 the parts where it says

3. In admin/category_modify.php:

Replace:
db_query("UPDATE $sql_tbl[categories] SET category='$category_name', description='$description', meta_descr='$meta_descr', meta_keywords='$meta_keywords', avail='$avail', order_by='$order_by', membership='$cat_membership' WHERE categoryid='$cat'");

With:
db_query("UPDATE $sql_tbl[categories] SET category='$category_name', description='$description', meta_title='$meta_title', meta_descr='$meta_descr', meta_keywords='$meta_keywords', avail='$avail', order_by='$order_by' WHERE categoryid='$cat'"); #BCSE Modified

Is not accurate. The pre-existing sysntax in this file is different than the one mentioned in the readme. Is this a problem?
Old 03-08-2007, 02:21 PM

Advanced Member

Default Re: BCSE Mod Installation + Some Questions

Also.. On the Mod.. When installing the mods a lot of them require you add additional tags to skin1/customer/home.tpl under <title> and other tags before </title> does it matter the order? Is there any preperation/changes I need to consider? I have installed the STATIC Meta MOD and Category Meta Title so far and here is the <title></Title> in home.tpl

<title>
{*BCSE Begin*}
{if $cat and $current_category.meta_title and not $smarty.get.productid}
{$current_category.meta_title}
{else}
{*BCSE End*}
{*BCSE Begin*}
{if $page_data.metatitle}
{$page_data.metatitle}
{else}
{*BCSE End*}
{if $config.SEO.page_title_format eq "A"}
{section name=position loop=$location}
{$location[position].0|strip_tags|escape}
{if not %position.last%} :: {/if}
{/section}
{else}
{section name=position loop=$location step=-1}
{$location[position].0|strip_tags|escape}
{if not %position.last%} :: {/if}
{/section}
{/if}
{/if} {*BCSE Added*}
{/if}{*BCSE Added*}
</title>
Old 03-08-2007, 03:51 PM

Veteran

Moving to Third Party Add-Ons
Old 03-08-2007, 04:47 PM

Advanced Member

hey balinor. do you have time to answer my question?
Old 03-08-2007, 11:59 PM

X-Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtatarin
hey balinor. do you have time to answer my question?

Maybe a good idea to ask BCSE?
-----------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Looking for the best dutch language pack? 4.1.x - 4.6.x compatibel, native speaker translation! More info
Old 03-10-2007, 09:44 AM

Advanced Member

I have emailed and called them. No responce it a few days. Has anyone installed all 4 of their free mods on 4.16?
Old 03-10-2007, 10:51 AM

X-Guru

You called them, on a free mod?

Look, it's free. It's great. It works.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:21 AM

Advanced Member

why wouldn't I call them on a free mod I have asked the same simple question over and over and no one is helping me I an left with no choice.
Old 03-11-2007, 01:07 AM

X-Adept

Quote:
why wouldn't I call them on a free mod I have asked the same simple question over and over and no one is helping me I an left with no choice.

Why would there have to be anybody here to help you with these freebies, you might ask yourself? From what I've seen here you're already getting helped here by people who gain nothing but helping somebody out.

I'd say that with a free mod you cannot expect the same help as with a paid one and you're in the hands of kindness from others. That's just the way things work in the world, take it or leave it; you're not alone with that, this counts for everybody.

The way I see it, is that you still have a choice; you can either drop the mods or hope that there are people outthere who are kind enough to help you out with this freebie and you need to let it take it's time ... if you don't want to wait then you should consider buying a commercial mod where you're in your right expecting being served with support (at least from the company that sells it).

p.s. to answer the simple question though: I unfortunately have not installed these 4 freebies with 4.1.6
-----------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Looking for the best dutch language pack? 4.1.x - 4.6.x compatibel, native speaker translation! More info
Old 03-11-2007, 07:28 AM

X-Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtatarin
There is also a few inconsistencies.. When Installing Categoy Meta Title in 4.1.6 the parts where it says

3. In admin/category_modify.php:

Replace:
db_query("UPDATE $sql_tbl[categories] SET category='$category_name', description='$description', meta_descr='$meta_descr', meta_keywords='$meta_keywords', avail='$avail', order_by='$order_by', membership='$cat_membership' WHERE categoryid='$cat'");

With:
db_query("UPDATE $sql_tbl[categories] SET category='$category_name', description='$description', meta_title='$meta_title', meta_descr='$meta_descr', meta_keywords='$meta_keywords', avail='$avail', order_by='$order_by' WHERE categoryid='$cat'"); #BCSE Modified

Is not accurate. The pre-existing sysntax in this file is different than the one mentioned in the readme. Is this a problem?

You are correct. The instructions are not accurate.

You COULD assume there is a typo, just replace the block and see what happens...

Of course, you're backed up 100%, so you can restore to what you had in a matter of seconds.

I'm using a (modified for CDSEO) version of this, without issue:

Code:

This free mod is worth many, many times more than what you paid for it. And the advice in the forum, well... I hope you get the picture. On stuff that's free, there should be ZERO expectation of anything.

Now, if you had PAID for a mod or a service, you would then have expectations of service. But if it's free, it's free... welcome to open source world. You're on your own. If nice people (and trust me, Carrie is as nice as they get) want to give back to the community, then we should thank them, not b*tch about lack of response in one-day on a free mod. And CALLING them, for support on a freebie?

You are getting dirty in code, and you need to learn that it's not always pretty... you WILL hit roadblocks, and you WILL have to sort your way out. Or you can pay someone to do this for you.

Try email. Fixing code over the phone is impossible. Thereis RARELY a justification for calling anyone re: code. And since your mod is free, you will probably be the last email that is retunred. Hopefully, if your attitude was professional and courteous, you'll get a response eventually. Maybe someone in the forum will help you out. But this forum is about nice people helping each other. We have to WANT to help you.
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Third Party Add-Ons for X-Cart 4