Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Two-Factor Authentication module released

X-Cart forums > News and Announcements

Old 05-23-2013, 01:33 AM

X-Cart team

Arrow Two-Factor Authentication module released

Hello, X-Carters!

Great news! I am glad to announce a release of Two-Factor Authentication module. It protects your organization's most valuable assets with the most powerful Two-Factor Authentication system.

http://www.x-cart.com/sites/default/files/modules/2Factors_authorization_icon.png

The key features are:

http://www.x-cart.com/sites/all/themes/xcartcom/images/checkmark.png Increases your store security
Even if the username and password is stolen by means of some spyware, the hacker will still have no access to your account, as he also need a token to login.

http://www.x-cart.com/sites/all/themes/xcartcom/images/checkmark.png Does not store your accounts credentials
Even if Authy server is compromised, the hacker will have no usernames or passwords, as these sensitive details are NOT stored on their side.

http://www.x-cart.com/sites/all/themes/xcartcom/images/checkmark.png Supports any cellphone.
Free Authy apps are available for iPhone, Android and Blackberry. For other cellphones the token is sent via text-message.
Optionally, admin can enable forced SMS, regardless is Authy application is installed or not

http://www.x-cart.com/sites/all/themes/xcartcom/images/checkmark.png Free plan is available.
Requires an account with Authy. They offer a wide range of plans, from free (1,000 Users, 500 Auths / mo) to enterprise, so you will be able to chose the one that suits you best.

Two-Factor Authentication video tutorial

Two-Factor Authentication screenshots

Two-Factor Authentication manual

Compatible versions: 4.1.x or above

The following 3 users thank rocky for this useful post:
elaine (05-23-2013), qualiteam (05-23-2013), seyfin (05-23-2013)
Old 05-23-2013, 01:39 AM

X-Cart team

Default Re: Two-Factor Authentication module released

Quick Start

To enable Authy's two-factor authentication service at your X-Cart store, follow these steps:

1. Sign up for Authy's service at Authy.com

2. If you are going to use a smartphone for authentication, download from the Authy site and install on your phone device the application that will be used to generate security tokens for log-in (To download the app, point the browser on your phone device to www.authy.com/install). Run the application on your phone and complete the steps required to register your phone in Authy's system.

Note: Using Authy's downloadable app is completely optional; if you prefer security tokens sent via SMS, you do not have to install anything on your phone - simply skip this step and proceed to Step 3.

3. Activate your Authy account by signing in. Note that to sign in you will be required to enter a security token from your phone. You can enter a token generated by the Authy app on your phone device or request the token to be sent to your cellphone via text-message. After signing in to your Authy account you'll find your API keys for sandbox (use it for testing) and production. Keep these keys private.

4. Install the Two-Factor Authentication module in X-Cart

5. Enable the module in X-Cart's back end and enter your Authy API key in its settings

6. Specify your phone number and country in your profile. Be sure to enter the phone number using the international format: + (plus sign) then country code, then space or dash, then phone number.

That is all. Now if you log out and try to log in to the store again, you will notice an extra step added to the authentication process on your site: after entering your regular site login and password you will be required to enter a security token from your mobile phone.

The following 2 users thank rocky for this useful post:
qualiteam (05-23-2013), seyfin (05-23-2013)
Old 05-27-2013, 01:32 AM

Just bought this tonight, looks great!
Braintree
Popup Anywhere
Abandoned Cart Reminder
Cloud Backup
Kayako Integration
Rich Google Search Results
Pin Code/License Key
Remember Me

The following 4 users thank Tigershark8700 for this useful post:
qualiteam (05-28-2013), rocky (05-27-2013), seyfin (05-28-2013), xim (05-27-2013)
Old 05-27-2013, 03:13 AM

X-Cart team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigershark8700
Just bought this tonight, looks great!

Cool! Appreciate your purchase. Should you encounter any issues or have any questions feel free to contact us.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:29 AM

X-Cart team

Hi!

Good news! Two-Factor Authentication module is now available for X-Cart 4.0.x versions too!

http://www.x-cart.com/extensions/modules/two-factor-auth.html
Old 09-01-2013, 03:15 PM

Hi Rocky,

We were able to get this to work months ago but I will note that it was very difficult to get in contact with the company behind the actual service. It took us weeks for them to actually acknowledge our messages.. again this has nothing to do with X-Cart or your company, just an FYI when using Authy as a service :/

Overall we are pleased with the performance of the module, and it was definitely worth the $99 price tag.

Thanks,
Ryan
Braintree
Popup Anywhere
Abandoned Cart Reminder
Cloud Backup
Kayako Integration
Rich Google Search Results
Pin Code/License Key
Remember Me

The following user thanks Tigershark8700 for this useful post:
rocky (09-02-2013)
Old 09-02-2013, 12:22 AM

X-Cart team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigershark8700
Hi Rocky,

We were able to get this to work months ago but I will note that it was very difficult to get in contact with the company behind the actual service. It took us weeks for them to actually acknowledge our messages.. again this has nothing to do with X-Cart or your company, just an FYI when using Authy as a service :/

Overall we are pleased with the performance of the module, and it was definitely worth the $99 price tag.

Thanks,
Ryan

Thank you for your feedback, Ryan!

This is actually strange, because Authy was always responsive to my messages. In any case, I will let them know that this issue took place.

Just out of curiosity, can you please specify which problems have you encountered? I've registered an account with Authy myself and it went quite smoothly (at least for the free plan) - I registred a new account with them, registered my smart phone (via www.authy.com/install) and then configured it on X-Cart side on the modules configuraton page in admin area (simply filled in the required fields).

By the way, do you use SMS or iPhone/Android/Blackberry App?

Should you encounter any problems with the module feel free to contact us.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:59 AM

Hi Rocky,
I have to second what Tigershark8700 said above, we implemented Authy on another project and getting anything out of them support wise is difficult. (This is why we never implemented on x-cart )
Old 09-02-2013, 07:31 AM

X-Cart team

Quote:
Originally Posted by while.e.kyote
Hi Rocky,
I have to second what Tigershark8700 said above, we implemented Authy on another project and getting anything out of them support wise is difficult. (This is why we never implemented on x-cart )

I see. I guess I should talk to Daniel (Authy CEO) regarding that. However, I need real cases. So, guys if you face with Authy unresponsiveness, please let me know what the problem is, probably it's not even related to Authy. Otherwise, I'll try to find out why it took them so long to respond.

However, it's still not clear to me why do you need their assistance? As I said I've registered with no problems and it had nothing to do with Authy, all went smoothly in automatic mode.

Probably, you've tried to implement their API from a scratch? The thing is that it's already integrated in our module. All you need to do is:

1. Install our X-Cart extension as usually
2. Sign up for Authy account
3. Register your phone via www.authy.com/install
4. Configure Two Factor Authentication module in admin area (fill in your account details).

That's all. You can try at least. The module is refundable within 30 days, so it's absolutely risk free.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:52 AM

in our case, it was an API implementation, but that wasn't where the support issues were.. In a couple of our test users they would go through the motions to get registered and have trouble either with the app on the phone or the registration process (we never did get it sorted out which was which)

The symptom was that Authy would show the "application" registered but it would never appear on the phone itself.
   X-Cart forums > News and Announcements