Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

X-Cart v4.4.3 released

Closed Thread
   X-Cart forums > News and Announcements

Old 05-05-2011, 03:23 PM

X-Wizard

Default Re: X-Cart v4.4.3 released

It would make sense if the upgrade would check to see which skin is selected and compare against that skin as well as common_files. Not sure if anyone has those details.

The following user thanks cherie for this useful post:
gb2world (05-12-2011)
Old 05-06-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb2world
I've not preformed a 4.4.x upgrade, but it would seem to me that upgrades associated with the template files requires extra care if you followed a strategy where you created your own skin directories and avoided editing anything in the common_files.

On pre 4.4, you would run the upgrade patch, and you would get a report of all the files that could not be patched. You would work from that "could-not-patch" list to make your updates.

On 4.4, if the QT upgrade method is the same, you could get a report that all files are patched successfully - but it might not know about the changes in your skin directories.

If the upgrade script is not aware that you have used a strategy where you did not modify common_files, but instead created your own skin directory, then it seems you would need to review all those files against the upgrade list file, and hand patch any that changed. (Changes in skin files could be dependent on changes in core php files, and vice versa.)

As I understand it, there have been no improvements to the architecture (until v5), so upgrading is as it always has been - even if you separated your changes to new skin directories. Even upgrades within minor versions can be complex and require careful review of all impacted template files that you have modified.

---

Ah ok QT made all modifications to the common files folder, not a dedicated skin folder.

Meaning the upgrade from 4.4.2 to 4.4.3 should be easy?

Or is it better to install 4.4.4 then apply the skin manually, in code line by line if it works?

Thanks!
Old 05-06-2011, 06:58 PM

would it be possible for qualiteam to simply list which files have had modifications made to them?

this would allow us to work out which files could just be copied and replaced directly from 4.4.2 (which we have changed) and which ones we need to re-code manually.

The following user thanks a333 for this useful post:
Sunray Sales (05-07-2011)
Old 05-06-2011, 07:37 PM

X-Wizard

Quote:
Meaning the upgrade from 4.4.2 to 4.4.3 should be easy?
Or is it better to install 4.4.4 then apply the skin manually, in code line by line if it works?
I would not use the word "easy" about any upgrade, minor or major, until you see the upgrade pack. The possibilities are wide open. There could many relatively easy changes to a large number of files, few complex changes to few files or any combination of those possibilities. The other important factor is the number and scope of changes that you have made to your own skins & php files. If you understand all the changes that were made, that puts you at an advantage if/when the upgrade requires similar changes near your own modifications. Another factor is patches. If you have already applied patches, the upgrade will attempt to re-apply them.

Another possibility is that all your customizations are to files not impacted by the files in the upgrade - then you don't have to worry about the tedium of looking at the diff files.

Even when changes are easy, upgrades are almost always tedious. The best approach for you to take depends on the above factors plus your own patience and understanding of your customizations.

For past upgrades, on heavily modified shops - I find it best to get a report of the could not patch files, then patch them one by one looking at the diff files provided in the patch. If the shop is not heavily modified, the QT upgrade kits get you almost all the way there. Then you can use the word "easy". The more customizations you have done - the more tedious you can expect the upgrade to be.

Quote:
would it be possible for qualiteam to simply list which files have had modifications made to them?

This list has been a part of the upgrade kits in the past (file.lst). In addition to the upgrade links provided by QT above - I have found this sticky post to contain very good advise about upgrading: http://forum.x-cart.com/showthread.php?t=35125

---

The following user thanks gb2world for this useful post:
Sunray Sales (05-07-2011)
Old 05-06-2011, 08:12 PM

Advanced Member

Installed 4.4.3 in a sub-folder of my active 4.1.10 x-cart. Have copied and pasted all of my shipping, payment and other settings.

So far everything seems flawless.

My database is so far apart, I plan to export the products and categories manually via CSV files and import them, then copy the images folders from the old cart to the new one.

Will see what happens, but so far it is looking very positive!

thanks,
Tarpon Springs, FL 34688
marc@naturalbathandbodyshop.com
www.naturalbathandbodyshop.com

Mod Newbie
X-cart 4.4.5 - Now Live !!! Hurray!
X-cart 4.2.1 - Delicae Gourmet
Old 05-07-2011, 01:41 AM

Installed this today, but I didn't retain my old skin. The purpose of upgrading from 4.1.3 was mostly to implement a new skin - I bought the smart-template from Phil Jones and have it up and running too, nicely.

I had no problem migrating the database over (there were probably a couple of hundred products).

The whole upgrade process went very smoothly. I renamed my old store root folder and created a new one to run side-by-side. Once I'd completed the database upgrade the old store was pretty much not required anymore.

The only thing I needed to do in addition to the simple step-by-step process was to copy my image files from oldstore/images over to the newstore/images folder.

So far I've been happy with the upgrade, but I am getting a strange bug when I log into (or more to the point, struggle to log into) the admin interface. It askes me for an email address and a password. It won't accept any combination of username/email/password. I have to reset it each time.

To do this I need to enter 'master' into the 'forgot password?' request to get it to send the 'reset password' email to my email address. Weird. I'd like to figure out how to fix this so that I can just simply log into the admin section instead of resetting it each time..

-Paul

Go Kart Parts & Consumables
Australia
Old 05-07-2011, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a333

this would allow us to work out which files could just be copied and replaced directly from 4.4.2 (which we have changed) and which ones we need to re-code manually.

QT provided me with all the necessary documentation and files to make the skin from scratch if needed. Meaning the diff file, all 180+ files they modified, the SQL changes made and etc.

In theory yes I can manually check each file to see if the upgrade from 4.4.3 would require me to make modifications, or be a simple copy and paste/overwrite existing file.

Hard to say at this point. I am still re-working on a 4.4.2 development site, then once that is complete. I plan on working on a 4.4.3 development site and push that one to be my Final and Live website.

Either way for me it will be a long and tedius process. I had a slightly modified 4.4.1 dev site (basic skin), and I tried to upgrade to 4.4.2 and it didn't work for me.

This makes me a little weary of doing upgrades, since my experience has been a litte bleak at the moment.

In the coming weeks I hope to have a 4.4.3 dev site running and hope the skin implementation wouldn't take too much time.

Thanks for all the suggestions though.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Jones

So far I've been happy with the upgrade, but I am getting a strange bug when I log into (or more to the point, struggle to log into) the admin interface. It askes me for an email address and a password. It won't accept any combination of username/email/password. I have to reset it each time.

To do this I need to enter 'master' into the 'forgot password?' request to get it to send the 'reset password' email to my email address. Weird. I'd like to figure out how to fix this so that I can just simply log into the admin section instead of resetting it each time..

-Paul

try creating a new user admin profile and see if email login works using that.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:26 PM

hi seyfin, i want to buy a nice skin for my xcart store, can you suggest me a seller?
best regards- ratnesh
Old 05-11-2011, 02:46 AM

X-Cart team

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9sport
hi seyfin, i want to buy a nice skin for my xcart store, can you suggest me a seller?

http://marketplace.x-cart.com/skins-templates/
Chief support group engineer

===

Check this out. Totally revamped X-Cart hosting
http://www.x-cart.com/hosting.html

Follow us:
https://twitter.com/x_cart / https://www.facebook.com/xcart / https://www.instagram.com/xcart

The following user thanks seyfin for this useful post:
ambal (05-12-2011)
Closed Thread
   X-Cart forums > News and Announcements