Altered Cart Mods Advice

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Third Party Add-Ons for X-Cart 4

Old 12-30-2009, 03:21 PM
Banned

X-Adept

Default Re: Altered Cart Mods Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pobear
I do not think an existing customer should have to buy support points to ask about an upgrade.

First let me say, I agree. This is why I have a large knowledgebase on the alteredCart website with answers to these questions. The goal of the knowledgebase is to eliminate the need for you to ever open a support ticket and have to pay for support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pobear
I am very surprised by your response:

I apologize if I have upset you.

I admit the last post was made in frustration. I usually don't respond to any posts about alteredCart or myself, positive or negative, no matter how egregious.

About a year ago when X-Cart started announcing multiple versions I realized that my options were to:

1. Do what every smart software vendor in the world does and charge upgrade fees.

2. Allow customers to update for free, but charge for one on one support.

3. Allow free updates and support, and hope I can support this with sales.

--

Why not #1?

Because I'm not an publicly owned corporation that is solely focused on making as much money as possible.

I simply want to write good software, and support my family while doing it. In turn helping other to do the same by creating tools to increase sales on their respective websites.

--

Why not #3?

Because this isn't sustainable. The end result would be alteredCart becoming another on the list of X-Cart mod vendors who simply close up shop due to the basic economic/life law:

unlimited supply = unlimited demand

---

I chose #2.

This allows customers who need help to get it fast and have it readily available. Also, support starts at only $15, so this is far less than you would spend to update your modules, and even less than X-Cart tech support.

Additionally, this is the method that X-Cart uses, and since all of my customers are also customers of X-Cart I though it would be an easy transition.

I would say that overall I've had a really positive response to this system.

The following user thanks wjbrewer for this useful post:
gb2world (12-30-2009)
Old 12-30-2009, 03:59 PM

X-Guru

Quote:
unlimited supply = unlimited demand

Bill,

I must thank you for this quote!
It's brilliant!

Happy New Year.

best,

Jeremy
Old 12-30-2009, 04:22 PM

X-Adept

Oh and the answer to the question is in the first statement in the knowledge base and clearly states that an upgrade for version 4.3 will be in the works after the first of the year.

Here it is verbatum:

All alteredCart module will be updated for 4.3 compatibility.

4.3 is brand new, and although it has been certified stable by X-Cart, it is generally a bad idea to use the first version on a live site. There will always be glitches that made it through testing. Because of this, and the multiple updates that are likely soon to follow work on updating alteredCart modules for 4.3 compatibility is not scheduled to begin until Jan 2010 at the earliest.

There isn't, and will not be an official ETA. It is impossible to determine how long a module will take to be 4.3 compatible. Judging by the 4.2 update it took about six months total for all alteredCart modules to be updated.

When the 4.3 version is ready it will be posted in your Account/Download section if you have a license. If you don't have a license you can check the 4.3 availability on the individual product pages http://www.alteredcart.com/home.php?cat=1. When the 4.3 version is ready there will be a drop down option to purchase the 4.3 version

We all want answers now, I am not an exception to that rule, but imagine trying to accomplish the upgrade modules when you are unindated with the same questions over and over because the customer/potential customer did not take the time to educate theirself.

Bill is one of several 3rd party developers that are on here going through the same thing. Lets cut them all a little slack as these contant change of direction and versions from QT makes the 3rd party people's lives a living hell.

Here is a simple plan to make your transition to a new version easier. Develop your new site in a sub directory. Put all the bells, whistles and tweeks you can into your site yourself. While you are busy doing that the upgrades will fall into place and make your upgrade that much smoother.

Happy New Year Everyone!
Old 12-31-2009, 07:33 PM

X-Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjbrewer

1. Do what every smart software vendor in the world does and charge upgrade fees.

--

Why not #1?

Because I'm not an publicly owned corporation that is solely focused on making as much money as possible.

I simply want to write good software, and support my family while doing it. In turn helping other to do the same by creating tools to increase sales on their respective websites.

--

I'm not sure that I agree that all that choose #1 are out there to make as much money as possible. We chose #1 for the simplicity and ease for our customers. Many times an upgrade is just $10 or less depending on the mod. We do give a bulk flat fee for those with a lot of modules and try to just cover our costs on it, not make a ton of money on it.

Just my 2 cents.

Carrie

We support X-cart versions 3.x through 5.x!

Home of the famous Authorize.net DPM & CIM Modules, Reward Points Module, Point of Sale module, Speed Booster modules and more!

Over 200 X-cart Mods available & Thousands of Customizations Since 2002 - bcsengineering.com

Please E-Mail us for questions/support!
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Third Party Add-Ons for X-Cart 4