Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Best theme to start with?

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 5 > General questions (X-Cart 5)

Old 06-04-2018, 06:26 AM

eXpert

Default Best theme to start with?

Hey everyone,

I've been developing my XC5 store using the Standard theme for the past month or so. It seems as if the only updates I ever receive are for the Crisp White skin. What would be the best and most efficient starting place that XC will support for a while? Right now it doesn't seem like they're going to be doing anything with the Standard skin, so not sure if I should keep developing with it or try and replicate what I've done using Crisp White.

Thanks,
Old 06-04-2018, 08:53 AM

Veteran

Default Re: Best theme to start with?

Standard theme is stock and it is updated together with the core. You will not see separate update download.

Crisp White is separate module so it has to be updated when there is core changes which affect anything the theme touches.

You can uninstall Crisp White, you cannot uninstall Standard. There is always one stock theme which is part of XC core - in this case Standard.

You can develop based on either one or have your own completely done from scratch.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:17 AM

eXpert

Thank you, I figured that was the case (since I was always editing /skin/customer/).

We just bought another XC 4.7.9 license since it doesn't appear 5 is anywhere near ready, much harder to work with, and we can't afford to waste time or resources on errors every time updates are released. Guess that can be looked at down the road but right now we want everything stable and not in a "half-testing" mode where we're the ones that have to constantly debug issues.

Thanks for your reply. Always on point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cflsystems
Standard theme is stock and it is updated together with the core. You will not see separate update download.

Crisp White is separate module so it has to be updated when there is core changes which affect anything the theme touches.

You can uninstall Crisp White, you cannot uninstall Standard. There is always one stock theme which is part of XC core - in this case Standard.

You can develop based on either one or have your own completely done from scratch.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:25 AM

eXpert

Guess "Light Responsive" in 4.7.9 is basically the XC5 version of Crisp White or Standard. Probably no problems then.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:54 AM

Veteran

Main skin in XC4 is under common_files. Any other directory under skins is consider custom skin
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 5 > General questions (X-Cart 5)