Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Rich Google Search Results module released
 
Reply
   X-Cart forums > News and Announcements
 
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 11-27-2012, 09:34 AM
 
BritSteve BritSteve is offline
 

eXpert
  
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 339
 

Default Re: Rich Google Search Results module released

Quote:
Originally Posted by feakie
Please, post a ticket about this issue into our Helpdesk.

Will I be charged to investigate this issue? Do you have any examples of this mod where we can see the Google results showing the extra information?

Steve
__________________
Version 4.1.8 & 4.1.9
ezcheckout4.1.x
cdseolinks2
product_metatags41x
shipping_per_product41x

http://www.earthsmagic.com
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 11-27-2012, 08:09 PM
  rocky's Avatar 
rocky rocky is offline
 

X-Cart team
  
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 715
 

Default Re: Rich Google Search Results module released

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritSteve
Will I be charged to investigate this issue? Do you have any examples of this mod where we can see the Google results showing the extra information?

Steve


No, Steve, you won't be charged. We will just check it and try to find out what could be wrong. Please post a new ticket via HelpDesk
__________________
Alexander Diatchkov
Head of Technical Support Department

Official X-Cart Support at:
http://www.x-cart.com/technical-support.html
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 11-28-2012, 08:08 AM
 
BritSteve BritSteve is offline
 

eXpert
  
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 339
 

Default Re: Rich Google Search Results module released

Thanks Alexander,

I will leave it for the moment and keep checking. The mod is working and putting the correct itemprops into the pages, so it must be a problem with Google. I notice that Bing hasn't picked up the extra fields either. I have checked the Google documentation, and all the required fields are there.

Just a couple of points that you may want to consider.

The description is not very good. Taking page content from the top is not a good choice for the itemprop description. If you have other text at the top of the page that doesn't relate to the product, then the description will be incorrect. I think that you should take the CDSEO or standard meta description and use that as it will be much more relevant in most cases. I have removed the itemprop description as I don't want Google to pick it up the way it is at the moment. The description is not a required field thankfully.

You may also want to consider picking up the thumbnail image if it exists and using it for the itemprop image.

Steve
__________________
Version 4.1.8 & 4.1.9
ezcheckout4.1.x
cdseolinks2
product_metatags41x
shipping_per_product41x

http://www.earthsmagic.com
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 11-29-2012, 04:05 AM
  tony_sologubov's Avatar 
tony_sologubov tony_sologubov is offline
 

X-Cart team
  
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,427
 

Default Re: Rich Google Search Results module released

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritSteve
I will leave it for the moment and keep checking. The mod is working and putting the correct itemprops into the pages, so it must be a problem with Google. I notice that Bing hasn't picked up the extra fields either. I have checked the Google documentation, and all the required fields are there.

Just a couple of points that you may want to consider.

Please, let us know the results after further checking.

As I know, Bing still does not support Rich Snippet for products, so no wonder why it does not display it.

Quote:
The description is not very good. Taking page content from the top is not a good choice for the itemprop description. If you have other text at the top of the page that doesn't relate to the product, then the description will be incorrect. I think that you should take the CDSEO or standard meta description and use that as it will be much more relevant in most cases. I have removed the itemprop description as I don't want Google to pick it up the way it is at the moment. The description is not a required field thankfully.

The description field in the Product structure should be a description of a product, so it is incorrect to use meta description instead there.

I mean, if some page contains the <div itemscope itemtype="Product">..</div> element, it tells Google that this page contains information of some product in structured format. This product schema describes the actual properties of a product and that's why we use actual product description there.

Quote:
You may also want to consider picking up the thumbnail image if it exists and using it for the itemprop image.

That would be great to display image in Rich Snippet. Product schema even contains image property, but, unfortunately, this image is not used anywhere in the Snippet at the moment.

Hopefully, Google will add support for that. Now Google only supports images in Review and Person objects.
__________________
Found a bug in X-Cart? Post it to our bug tracker!
Know how to make X-Cart better? Suggest an idea!
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 11-29-2012, 07:44 AM
 
BritSteve BritSteve is offline
 

eXpert
  
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 339
 

Default Re: Rich Google Search Results module released

I think you will find that Google does support product images.

Look at http://support.google.com/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=146750

Looking at the source of one of my product pages that has the rich snippets, I see the following.

<meta itemprop="image" content="" />

I assume that is put there my your rich snippets mod, but it is empty.

Steve
__________________
Version 4.1.8 & 4.1.9
ezcheckout4.1.x
cdseolinks2
product_metatags41x
shipping_per_product41x

http://www.earthsmagic.com
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 11-29-2012, 07:54 AM
  tony_sologubov's Avatar 
tony_sologubov tony_sologubov is offline
 

X-Cart team
  
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,427
 

Default Re: Rich Google Search Results module released

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritSteve
I think you will find that Google does support product images.

Look at http://support.google.com/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=146750

Yes, Google supports the image property, but it is not used in the Rich Snippet. That is the main problem.

Quote:
Looking at the source of one of my product pages that has the rich snippets, I see the following.

<meta itemprop="image" content="" />

I assume that is put there my your rich snippets mod, but it is empty.

Steve

That's not expected result. By default, you should have the image specified in the content field.

As I understand, you have installed the module for 3rd party skin on your own, so please check why the image property is empty in your store. If you face any problems, you are welcome to create a ticket in our HelpDesk.
__________________
Found a bug in X-Cart? Post it to our bug tracker!
Know how to make X-Cart better? Suggest an idea!
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 12-17-2012, 04:51 AM
  rocky's Avatar 
rocky rocky is offline
 

X-Cart team
  
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 715
 

Default Re: Rich Google Search Results module released

Hi, folks!

XMAS SALE NOW ON!

Get 35% discount on Rich Google Search Results module and purchase it for only $51.35

Claim Now!
__________________
Alexander Diatchkov
Head of Technical Support Department

Official X-Cart Support at:
http://www.x-cart.com/technical-support.html
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 12-17-2012, 06:36 AM
 
anandat anandat is offline
 

X-Adept
  
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 912
 

Thumbs up Re: Rich Google Search Results module released

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky
Hi, folks!

XMAS SALE NOW ON!

Get 35% discount on Rich Google Search Results module and purchase it for only $51.35

Claim Now!

Thanks for the offer .....I want to buy this module can any one QT confirm that it works with CDSERO Pro ?
__________________
X-Cart: 4.7.7 LIVE
Skin:Ultra by xcartmods.co.uk
X-cart Modules: | ACR, Rich Google Search, Customer Testimonials | Cloud Search, | Websitecm: CDSEO (2.1.9)
---------------
Server: Linux
php: 5.3
mysql: 5.0.89
----------------
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 12-17-2012, 09:05 AM
  tony_sologubov's Avatar 
tony_sologubov tony_sologubov is offline
 

X-Cart team
  
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,427
 

Default Re: Rich Google Search Results module released

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandat
Thanks for the offer .....I want to buy this module can any one QT confirm that it works with CDSERO Pro ?

Hi!

We have not yet heard of any problems with CDSEO, so you should not worry about it.

However, if there are any issues - which we are not aware of - we will be glad to to sort them out.
__________________
Found a bug in X-Cart? Post it to our bug tracker!
Know how to make X-Cart better? Suggest an idea!
Reply With Quote

The following user thanks tony_sologubov for this useful post:
anandat (12-17-2012)
  #40  
Old 12-17-2012, 08:47 PM
 
anandat anandat is offline
 

X-Adept
  
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 912
 

Thumbs up Re: Rich Google Search Results module released

Quote:
Originally Posted by feakie
Hi!

We have not yet heard of any problems with CDSEO, so you should not worry about it.

However, if there are any issues - which we are not aware of - we will be glad to to sort them out.

Hi feakie,
Thanks for the clarification. I have placed the order
__________________
X-Cart: 4.7.7 LIVE
Skin:Ultra by xcartmods.co.uk
X-cart Modules: | ACR, Rich Google Search, Customer Testimonials | Cloud Search, | Websitecm: CDSEO (2.1.9)
---------------
Server: Linux
php: 5.3
mysql: 5.0.89
----------------
Reply With Quote

The following user thanks anandat for this useful post:
rocky (12-18-2012)
Reply
   X-Cart forums > News and Announcements


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:13 AM.

   

 
X-Cart forums © 2001-2018