Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Additional fields for address book

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions

Old 10-08-2012, 10:40 PM

Veteran

Default Re: Additional fields for address book

Ok, a minute to think about it but I have to mention this

there is another cart with very similar name, we all know which cart is that, and the way they have the user profile fields is just how it has to be. QT - check it out - there is a demo, you can add a field, different types, you can set position, position can be independant for billing/shipping address, you can turn it on/off for billing/shipping address... I don't care how it works in the background - on the front all fields have to be as one package, admin has to be able to set the order in any way they want....

The following 3 users thank cflsystems for this useful post:
ADDISON (10-08-2012), qualiteam (10-09-2012), Steel (10-27-2012)
Old 10-08-2012, 11:31 PM

X-Man

I agree Steve. If you take the best ideas from other shopping carts, XC will be in the best shape. That cart has more advanced features than XC, especially filtering, address book, wholesale (with percent as discount, and disregarding product variants applying the same discount even you buy 1 red and 1 blue).

Address book needs a special attention and I think you are very creative to offer a good one.
OS in use: Red Hat Enterprise, Fedora, CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Kali Linux
Ideas for Server configuration (basicaly): Nginx/Pound (reverse proxy), Apache/Nginx (webserver), Squid/Varnish (cache server), HHVM or (PHP-FPM + PHP 5.6 + opcache), MariaDB/Percona MySQL Server, Redis (storing sessions)

You can catch my ideas here: http://ideas.x-cart.com

The following user thanks ADDISON for this useful post:
Steel (10-27-2012)
Old 10-09-2012, 04:26 AM

eXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by cflsystems
Well not sure what this will be in 4.5.4 but for sure it doesn't work well. The code works as it says in the title - additional fields for address book. But without positioning for ALL fields in address book is just almost useless. All of the additonal fields go at the end of the default address book fields. Imagine company field at the end...

I needed to add company field for a customer today who pointed to me this thread - I ended up coding it together with the standard address book fields disregarding the patch here.

Not sure what QT will end up including in 4.5.4 but as I mentioned before - the whole address book feature needs an overhaul and completely new concept.

I wish I would have had you help me go this route with mine. We have company at the bottom, but the worst thing is I have to leave it as not-required because there is no way for me to go in and fill that field in from our customer database because these additional fields can not be imported/exported.

The following user thanks GreatLakesVacuum for this useful post:
Steel (10-27-2012)
Old 10-25-2012, 10:05 AM

X-Cart team

Hi, Everyone!

The ability of adding new fields to Address Book has been added to the recently released X-Cart 4.5.4 version. For more info please refer to:

http://forum.x-cart.com/showthread.php?t=65192

As soon as upgrade packs are ready you are welcome to upgrade and use it.

The following 4 users thank rocky for this useful post:
ADDISON (10-25-2012), cflsystems (10-30-2012), Steel (10-30-2012), totaltec (10-25-2012)
Old 10-30-2012, 03:08 PM

Veteran

That's just half of what was needed but still thanks for adding it. It is useless though if one wants to add company field - it will show at the end where it does not belong.... Without having a way to position all fields it just doesn;t make much difference...

The following 2 users thank cflsystems for this useful post:
ADDISON (10-31-2012), Steel (11-02-2012)
Old 10-30-2012, 11:42 PM

Advanced Member

That's true, if it doesn't allow positioning it's not very useful

The following user thanks alinush for this useful post:
Steel (11-02-2012)
Old 10-31-2012, 04:35 AM

eXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by cflsystems
That's just half of what was needed but still thanks for adding it. It is useless though if one wants to add company field - it will show at the end where it does not belong.... Without having a way to position all fields it just doesn;t make much difference...

This confuses me... the picture in that thread only shows the custom one... is there really no positioning box next to the default ones? If so, they added nothing at all, because this is exactly how it currently is.

I am asking you hoping maybe you have installed 4.5.4 and can check. I will probably update to it once there is a pack as it has some other fixes/changes I would like, but I am curious if they really added in full positioning or just lied to us.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:44 AM

X-Man

I don't know what really happened. This long waited feature doesn't offer Positioning? Maybe is challenging to add one more DB field named Pos.

Alex1 and Alex2 from QT, we need this feature in its best shape. It is like showing someone a chocolate and you tell him it is good as taste. Please take in consideration 455 to have a complete version of this feature inside.
OS in use: Red Hat Enterprise, Fedora, CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Kali Linux
Ideas for Server configuration (basicaly): Nginx/Pound (reverse proxy), Apache/Nginx (webserver), Squid/Varnish (cache server), HHVM or (PHP-FPM + PHP 5.6 + opcache), MariaDB/Percona MySQL Server, Redis (storing sessions)

You can catch my ideas here: http://ideas.x-cart.com

The following user thanks ADDISON for this useful post:
GreatLakesVacuum (10-31-2012)
Old 10-31-2012, 11:43 AM

Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatLakesVacuum
This confuses me... the picture in that thread only shows the custom one... is there really no positioning box next to the default ones? If so, they added nothing at all, because this is exactly how it currently is.

I am asking you hoping maybe you have installed 4.5.4 and can check. I will probably update to it once there is a pack as it has some other fixes/changes I would like, but I am curious if they really added in full positioning or just lied to us.

You can add positioning for the additional fields but you cannot position them between the standard fields which is really needed. Standard fields are just as you see them.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:39 AM

eXpert

Can the programing experts please advise the best code practice to accomplish the task of adding/positioning a Field Name (Company) between the list of stock Field Names?

For example, if the stock field names Title and Fax are not going to be utilized, (i) is it best to rename and reposition either of these; or (ii) is it better to code a new stock entry; or (iii) would it be less work and more proper to utilize an additional field?

Concerning the import/export of the Field Name values: (i) would function; (ii) would require a bit of code work; and (iii) would require the most?

Thanks for any input.
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions