Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Improved Search Function

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions

Old 07-25-2006, 10:31 AM

Has anyone got this mod working in 4.1.xx yet? I couldn't get it to work. I really only need 2 modifications to get me to where I want to be.

1. I have authors (bookstore) listed as an extra field and the names are stored in the database in the format of 'last name, first name'. Unfortunately, unless someone enters the name into the textfield exactly as it is in the database, or searches by only first name or only by last name then the query returns zero results. I would like someone to enter Stephen King and be able to find all of my books by Stephen King.

2. I would like to be able to include 2 extra fields in the regular search (author and isbn) rather than have to go to the advanced search.

These 2 issues are the only forseeable road blocks from switching to 4.1.xx when it becomes stable. If anyone is able to help me out I would really appreciate it.
Old 09-17-2006, 06:11 PM

Default Re: Improved Search Function

Here's another cry for a 4.1.3 version!

I didn't realize how bad the built-in X-Cart really is until I loaded 1000+ items in my store...

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 09-17-2006, 08:04 PM

X-Guru

Some alternatives:

http://www.cart-lab.com/Google-Mini-Search-Integration-for-X-Cart-p-108.html
http://www.websitecm.com/x-cart-mods/relevant-search-results.html

Or you can always use a GPL licensed search like Sphyder, course you'll have to customize it yourself
http://www.cs.ioc.ee/~ando/sphider/index.php
Old 09-18-2006, 04:49 AM

X-Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by B00MER
Or you can always use a GPL licensed search like Sphyder, course you'll have to customize it yourself

sphider is pretty cool, i'm using that for a gaming-related search engine website
although i've heavily customized my version, since the existing version of sphider doesn't use curl

@sushob: what do you not like about the search results? (just curious)
Old 09-18-2006, 12:56 PM

Thanks for the replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by intel352
@sushob: what do you not like about the search results? (just curious)

I sell model trains. All of my products list the manufacturer in the title, as well as the scale, style, and road name. So, for instance, my product title would be like this:

Bowser HO N-8 Caboose ~ PRR SHADOW KEYSTONE SUSQUEHANNA REGION

Many customers would do a search by manufacturer and road name, or style and road name, (i.e. "bowser prr" or "prr caboose"), but neither of those searches bring up that item. (I have the descriptions disabled in the quick search bar because of too many false results. Often times a specific railroad is mentioned in the description of a style of car, which may bring up 300 results that really aren't relevant).

With a potential to list 5,000-10,000 items, a weak search feature is a big turn-off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOMER
Some alternatives:

http://www.cart-lab.com/Google-Mini-...art-p-108.html
http://www.websitecm.com/x-cart-mods...h-results.html

I would LOVE Google Mini, but I'm a high school student. Google's charge is a bit out of my price range

The WebsiteCM mod looks great, but I'm running 4.1.3, not 4.0.x. I'll ask about it, but I've already poured my budget into a backorder and advanced reservation feature (which, fingers crossed, I should be able to install tomorrow).

I don't mind taking some time to customize a search feature in the future, but I'm trying to get up and running as quickly as possible. I've been spending money on software, but I haven't been bringing anything back in yet . I re-started work on this new site when eBay annouced a 500% increase in fees for Store sellers. eBay as a whole is headed downhill, and I'm trying to unload most of my cargo before it crashes.

I was just hoping someone would be able to share a 'quick fix,' such as those listed for earlier versions, that I could use until I have a chance to come up with something better. I'd really like to open my store this week, but I'm afraid I'll scare too many people away with a bad first impression if I leave the search as is.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:21 PM

X-Wizard

after visiting your site, it seems to me that your simple search form is somehow broken. I don't know if there are issues within v4.1.3 specifically or what, but if I execute a simple search for "caboose old style", I get 0 results.

If I execute the same search using Advanced Search, 10 results are found.

(Advanced) search works on your site, just simple search is broken, so I would check to see if there are any issues recorded in your error logs? Or maybe try to compare the actual form data between the Simple Search form and the Advanced Search form, to see what is different that is being sent.

I'm really thinking something must just be broken in X-Cart 4.1.3

I just ran the Advanced Search again, it executed fine, found 10 results. Then I clicked on "This Page Url", which supposedly posts the url used to find the search results, it came up with nothing.

http://www.sushob.com/shop/search.php?mode=search&substring=caboose+old+style &by_title=on&by_sku=on << 0 results

Check with X-Cart support, this may be an issue within the core. Or alternatively, if you have implemented any mods that intercept your URLs, or affect search functionality, try undoing those changes and see if search works
Old 09-18-2006, 01:22 PM

X-Wizard

BTW B00mer, WOW, didn't know google had products that you could deploy yourself, and OMG that is expensive, lol

hell, did you see the Google Appliance? it will index 1.5 million documents, price starts at $30,000

I guess they want to discourage competitor startups
Old 09-18-2006, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intel352
after visiting your site, it seems to me that your simple search form is somehow broken. I don't know if there are issues within v4.1.3 specifically or what, but if I execute a simple search for "caboose old style", I get 0 results.

If I execute the same search using Advanced Search, 10 results are found.

(Advanced) search works on your site, just simple search is broken, so I would check to see if there are any issues recorded in your error logs? Or maybe try to compare the actual form data between the Simple Search form and the Advanced Search form, to see what is different that is being sent.

I'm really thinking something must just be broken in X-Cart 4.1.3

I just ran the Advanced Search again, it executed fine, found 10 results. Then I clicked on "This Page Url", which supposedly posts the url used to find the search results, it came up with nothing.

http://www.sushob.com/shop/search.php?mode=search&substring=caboose+old+style &by_title=on&by_sku=on << 0 results

Check with X-Cart support, this may be an issue within the core. Or alternatively, if you have implemented any mods that intercept your URLs, or affect search functionality, try undoing those changes and see if search works

Uh-oh....

I did edit the quick search to include searching by SKU (a lot of people know the item number they want already), but it seems I broke something in the process.

To the file repository!

The "This Page URL" link is a bit of a mystery. I've read a few other posts about it, and it doesn't seem to actually do anything...
Old 09-18-2006, 02:00 PM

I was thinking it may have been the way I had disabled automatically searching the short and full descriptions (probably deleted stuff I shouldn't have ), but I restored the original files and it still has the problem you described.

I'm going to see if X-Cart knows anything about it.

Thanks for your help!
Old 09-19-2006, 05:53 AM

X-Wizard

good luck, let us know how it goes

btw, the This Page Url link is supposed to perform a GET version of your search (as opposed to a POST version).

For example:
http://www.soundchoicestore.com/search.php <<
type in 'billy joel' without the quotes, and select Artist from the dropdown, then Search

You'll find the page pulls up the same results as this url that I copied from "This Page Url":
Code:
http://www.soundchoicestore.com/search.php?mode=search&by_title=Y&substring=billy+joel&by_prod_type=4
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions