Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

X-Cart 4.1.0 beta 1 released

Closed Thread
   X-Cart forums > News and Announcements

Old 11-27-2005, 12:52 PM

Advanced Member

I would like to put in a request to have the Featured Products functionality completely overhauled. I find it to me the most cumbersome part of our stores regular tasks (we try to do 10 or so featured products every-other week).

I would like to be able to simply punch in the PRODUCTID to have it added to the F.P. list. Our product names tend to be pretty long, and so the current pop-up window and "directory" navigation to products is horrible for us. The textarea boxes cut off way too much and do not show the product sku or id, and so a lot of times I cannot determine the product I want to slect (we do car parts, and so a lot of the initial words on products are the same until the end of it). Simply inputting the PRODUCTID would eliviate this altogether.

Another suggestion would be that there is a F.P. checkbox in the product details that you can check or uncheck whenever.

Thanks,
Brian
- CDSEO module

X-Cart Gold v4.1.11 [unix]
***38,000+ active products!
- CDSEO module
- Address Book module
- Reorder module
- Smart Search module

X-Cart Gold v4.4.2 [unix]
- in development now!
Old 11-27-2005, 05:00 PM

Advanced Member

Default Fancy Categories Mod

I figure I'd better weigh in on the Fancy Categories Mod as I own a license for it and I think it's a great mod but it needs some help.

Two things that I think should be included in the mod:

1.) You should have the option to create a static javascript/html menu that you can regenerate whenever you update your inventory or you can regenerate manually by pressing a button instead of a menu that queries the database every time a page is requested.

2.) You should be able to choose how many levels deep you want the menu to go (1, 2, 3, etc). When the menu extends all the way across the screen to the other side it looks kinda strange.

Just a couple suggestions.
X-RMA 4.0.17
X-AOM 4.0.17
X-Configurator 4.0.17
Old 11-28-2005, 12:15 PM

eXpert

This thread certainly has the forum buzzing! The new features look great. Just to add my thoughts to the matter, all I think have been mentioned before:

1. Templates - definately need a good clean up, remove excessive redundant tags and strip away as many embedded tables as possible. Need to move to a well structured CSS framework as well to help avoid editing dozens of files on every install you make.

Personally I would prefer it if the base installation had a very basic template set that can easily be extended/improved as the designer requires. As it is the templates are complex and require lots of time to modify, it's easier to add code than take away!

2. Buttons templates - needs to be a lot simpler, why run the button process through 2 or 3 templates when you can just have one.

3. Improved checkout - any improvement here is a plus! My clients customers are alway geting confused by the 'register' part while ordering - is it possible to optionally make a 'fast checkout', ie

1. Enter name/address
2. Enter cc/payment info
3. Make payment

- with no hint of username/password. Make it quick and easy.

I think X-carts direction should next move towards site optimisation. there's no reason why the base template set can't be rewritten in a reasonable time and included in a maintenance release?
Old 11-29-2005, 11:18 AM

X-Adept

On 4.0.16 when "Redirect Customer to Cart" is unchecked in general settings it makes it so that when a customer clicks add to cart that they are not sent to the cart page which is good but they are also not given any visual feedback that their click did anything.

In 4.1 please add a visual confirmation that is near the add to cart button that appears after they click add to cart to let them know that the product was added.

ajax maybe?
Old 11-29-2005, 06:36 PM

X-Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light Speed
In 4.1 please add a visual confirmation that is near the add to cart button that appears after they click add to cart to let them know that the product was added.

ajax maybe?

AJAX wouldn't be needed. Just use GET or set a Smarty var before reloading the page.
MySQL 5.1.68
Apache 2.2.23
Old 11-29-2005, 09:32 PM

X-Adept

For 4.1 I know Shan already mentioned customer notes and removing it from CC and giving it it's own field which would be great.

I also think that it would be good to add a column on the admin/orders.php?mode=search page that would be called notes and when a customer leaves a note that that column in the row for that order would have a link called View Note that when clicked would open a pop-up with the customers note. This way when viewing all the orders from a day it would be obvious if there was a note and would be easy to access it.

Also in provider/search.php?mode=search when listing products it would be nice if there was a visual clue as to if a product was disabled. The same way disabled categories in the category section are dimmed if they are disabled would be great
Old 11-29-2005, 09:36 PM

X-Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuAlpha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Light Speed

ajax maybe?

AJAX wouldn't be needed. Just use GET or set a Smarty var before reloading the page.

You are right. No AJAX

Mod is now available to do this

Jon helped me get this mod together. Works in 4.0.16 and the code is available here near the bottom of the first page:

http://forum.x-cart.com/viewtopic.php?t=24561
Old 11-29-2005, 11:48 PM

Default 4.1 Bug

Has anyone noticed that during check out when you change your options ie. you had a white t-shirt in your cart and you change that t-shirt to blue it deletes it from your cart completely.
MySQL client 3.23.56
Web server Zeus/4.3
Operation system Linux
Perl 5.006001
XML parser (expat) 1.95.6
Old 11-30-2005, 04:03 PM

I already posed this question on this thread, but wanted to bring it back up to see if anyone else has run across this problem. Has anyone succesfully imported products in 4.1 yet using either a tab or comma delimited text file? I still can't get it to work. I've even exported some sample products, then turned around and tried to import the same file, but with no success. I still get the checking csv file message and then nothing else happens, it just hangs.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:11 AM

eXpert

My two cents...
If some of the code was cleaned up and you use the proper doctype, you could generate W3C compliant catalogues as well. I've done this in version 4xx. Keep SEO in mind while perfecting this script because a fast and beautiful site at the bottom of the search engines is still a fast and beautiful site... at the bottom of the search engines.
Closed Thread
   X-Cart forums > News and Announcements