Linux/Apache
Net::SSLeay 1.25
libCURL libcurl/7.12.0 OpenSSL/0.9.7a zlib/1.1.4
www.ewdhosting.com
Old 10-25-2005, 03:46 PM

X-Adept

Default Optimized for SPEED

Quote:
Since the the release of 4.0x series X-cart has been plagued by extremely slow load times even on a dual T1 connection, most shoppers online still use 56k modems and X-Cart has got to be optimized for SPEED on a 56k connection.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:15 PM

X-Adept

Default Re: Optimized for SPEED

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorocket
Quote:
Since the the release of 4.0x series X-cart has been plagued by extremely slow load times even on a dual T1 connection, most shoppers online still use 56k modems and X-Cart has got to be optimized for SPEED on a 56k connection.

I would say that "most" is incorrect for 56k dial-up.

In the US I believe it is closer to 50%
Old 10-25-2005, 04:30 PM

X-Wizard

[quote="Light Speed

In the US I believe it is closer to 50%[/quote]

In a previous life I managed the technical side of a $100 million+ web site with a fairly affluent, baby boomer to somewhat older customer base. We had to make an effort with some of the older customers to get them to use the web. We occasionally used a service to test our customer internet connection speed. The last measurement I saw 1 to 2 years ago was about 60% dialup. So 50%, perhaps a little less sounds about right now for that business. I suspect certain product lines, demographics and B to B sites have a higher broadband penetration.

UGG Boots and other fine sheepskin products
http://www.snowriver.com
Old 10-25-2005, 07:51 PM

X-Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by snorocket
Quote:

Yes, dial-up customers must be considered. We recently added a low-bandwidth cookie to x-cart to allow customers to get a light-weight view of some normally intensive pages to accommodate users with slower internet access.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:31 AM

Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light Speed
I would love to see full CSSbased layout but I am a dreamer so at least cleaning up the code would be great!!!

There may still be some issues with a full CSS layout with older browsers - I would love a full CSS layout personally, and we use CSS layouts with semantic markup whenever we can - but i think it could cause issues for some developers with an target audience with partial/bad CSS support - some users are unable to upgrade even if they want to.

I personally think it's time to forget Netscape 4.x (or Nutscrape as it used to be known around here and maybe IE 4 as well (generally we get a lot more Netscape 3 visitors than IE 4 on most of our sites).

Dumping font tags and replacing those nested 'border' tables with css borders would be a great start - getting rid of the image buttons (normal form buttons are fine, and look pretty good in winXP & OS X anyway) also putting all JS in external files would be another improvement i can think off the top of my head.

I don't mean to sound too critical - x-cart is a great piece of software, and I'm sure everyone appreciates all the hard work that's gone into 4.1 already, it's just that clean code is the one big thing that would make my life a little easier!
Old 10-26-2005, 02:18 AM

Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnriqueHavoc
is there an admin demo for 4.1 yet?
http://www.x-cart.com/demo_preview/admin/

X-CART CSS SKIN
XC SEO
IP Addresses in Users Online for all users
Color coded order status
Old 10-26-2005, 05:39 AM

X-Adept

Another future idea for xcart is to include AJAX functionality, especially on the ADMIN SIDE!

No need to have 20 page refreshes when trying to add a product. Many great php programs are taking full use of AJAX, like VBulletin.

How great would it be too add product info, hit submit and then not have to wait for the page to reload before you begin to add an image to that product or some other detailed info.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:01 AM

eXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotc2001
I think coupons should be addressed as well

i.e at the moment if you add something a 10% discount then it takes it from the ex VAT price (if you have VAT added)

Its not a problem if you are selling just in the UK as you enter your prices inc vat anyway but if you ship worldwide you have to enter your prices ex vat and then x-cart adds on the vat.

this causes the above and so when a customer thinks they are getting 10% off the price they aren't they are actually getting 10% off the ex vat price and the customer feels cheated.

Another note on coupons - would be nice to have the option to have them apply to the ORDER TOTAL or the SUBTOTAL - right now it's just subtotal - so if I have a $20 coupon code, and purchase $10 of stuff, I still have to pay shipping and tax whereas the whole order should have been free!

IF you xcart, THEN you prosper, ELSE you fail. ELSEIF xcart fails, THEN you fix it, all the WHILE {loop}\'ing {section}\'s to feed your $smarty mind.
Old 10-26-2005, 03:09 PM

X-Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoYoYo

You probably live in or near a big city where everyone uses cable modems so you think everyone has one, regardless of whos who, what research you've done or who you've worked for doesn't matter or have any credibility to the fact that alot of people do not live in or near big cities and still use 56k dial up connections. X-cart is very powerful but desperatley needs to be optimized for SPEED if you want to operate a truly global presense accessable to everyone everywhere !!! We've had more reliability and less abandoned oders using basic paypal buttons.
Closed Thread
   X-Cart forums > News and Announcements