Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

X-Cart Next beta testing

X-Cart forums > News and Announcements

Old 08-20-2012, 05:51 AM

eXpert

Default Re: X-Cart Next beta testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDISON
Drupal is very powerful with thousand of modules, themes.

Yes and with an eccomerce site it would be best practise to implement Drupal right at the start. I really don't understand peoples trepedation with Drupal. It's really not that hard to pick it up. The install with Litecommerce fulfills most needs with a couple of ommisions that are pivital in making a user freindly system. Most customes want to create their own pages with images in positions they want. With Drupal you can set up a client freindly system for them to do this while it manages the SEO aspects for them without them even knowing. It's all about what control you hand to the client. A few of my clients want to know the details of everything but most just want to add pages as and when they feel the need.

I will agree Drupal is a near vertical learning curve initially, but when the concepts are understood, anything can be done. I believe Drupal 8 will be more user freindly out of the box. Maybe there will be a connector for wordpress also. There has been a lot of requests for this.

I think XCN should be delayed until at least product variants are introduced. There are currently no significant differences between LC and XCN to justify buting a license.
http://www.corbywebworx.com

Custom Mods, Hosting and Support for Xcart-Next and LiteCommerce
Old 08-20-2012, 08:35 AM

Veteran

QT - are you listening?
XCN is getting some real criticism here without being attacked. Seems everyone has their thumbs up and agrees you guys are moving in the right direction with XCN. Now you just need to clean it up and add the missing pieces...
Old 08-20-2012, 10:44 AM

eXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by cflsystems
QT - are you listening?
XCN is getting some real criticism here without being attacked.

Steve you are harsh. Constructive would be nicer but I know how you feel. It's like talking to a plant sometimes.

A clear roadmap is whats required. I'm confused and I've been testing for six months.
http://www.corbywebworx.com

Custom Mods, Hosting and Support for Xcart-Next and LiteCommerce

The following user thanks Cpt.Crashtastic for this useful post:
cherie (08-20-2012)
Old 08-20-2012, 10:54 AM

Veteran

I am actually in between and trying to be the bad cop / good cop at the same time

I am pleased to see this new cart and new code and things heading in the right dorection but at the same time I want to point out what I think is wrong ... Yes clear roadmap and information where XC is heading and when is required. If you have been testing for 6 months and still confused then somehting is not right...

I am sure I'll give it another try with the installation and testing, hopefully in a month or so QT will have another beta released with fixes
Old 08-20-2012, 05:32 PM

X-Guru

I am just now getting to properly test XCN. I like what I am seeing so far, but I had some several problems getting through the install. One thing to note, I could not get it to work using MySQL 5.0.15. Emerson upgraded the server to 5.1.63 and everything went fine. I think the minimum requirements stated on the Litecommerce page are wrong. You need PHP 5.3.0 and MySQL 5.1.31
Mike White - Now Accepting new clients and projects! Work with the best, get a US based development team for just $125 an hour. Call 1-502-773-6454, email mike at babymonkeystudios.com, or skype b8bym0nkey

XcartGuru
X-cart Tutorials | X-cart 5 Tutorials

Check out the responsive template for X-cart.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:48 AM

eXpert

Well so far so good for my install.

I managed to get through the install with no major issues.

The only real think that could have been better was the permissions instructions but they just needed to be structured better so that its easier to paste them in to your terminal to fix the permissions before install. Other than that it went swimmingly.

Lets see how we get on with the rest of the store
Ability Theme
CDSEO
xCMS
Abandoned Cart
Food Packaging Scotland
Old 08-21-2012, 02:42 AM

eXpert

I have noticed that XCN doesn't have Worldpay as a payment method. This hopefully will be resolved once we come out of beta but this is something we require if we are to use XCN for our live site.

Do you know if this will be added xplorer?
Ability Theme
CDSEO
xCMS
Abandoned Cart
Food Packaging Scotland
Old 08-21-2012, 03:29 AM

X-Cart team

Thank you for the feedback!

Quote:
QT - are you listening?

Yes, but it takes some time to get through all the messages posted there

Quote:
Originally Posted by tartaglia
One of the reasons I started migrating to XC from LC was that I had learned over the years with LC that LC just wasn't the best solution for large catalogs. How does XCN stack up?

XCN/LC3 is not as fast as XC4 (due to OOP), but it is much faster than the old LC2. From our internal tests it is not slower than the other popular OOP shopping cart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.Crashtastic
Absolutely. I don't understand why it's not included as an option with the install. With Drupal/Xcart you have a very powerful solution right out the box.

You're right. There are several reasons to not bundle X-Cart Next with Drupal in one package, but the learning curve is the major one: some LC3+Drupal users didn't even know that they have to upgrade Drupal and LiteCommerce separately.

Maintaining a website built with XCN/LC3 and Drupal requires some technical experience and knowledge. If you have this knowledge installing XCN as a module to Drupal will be an easy task for you (see https://github.com/litecommerce/core/wiki/Installing-LiteCommerce).

So, there will be an option to use XCN with Drupal for users who know what they are doing, but we won't promote it to other users.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.Crashtastic
If you disable the xcart skin in xcart new, surprise, surprise, you have litecommerce.

In the most recent beta version the skin isn't here anymore

Quote:
This is the file sent to me by QT, now going to next.x-cart.com to download from there and install again.

Now it looks like LiteCommerce has been replaced by X-Cart Next wording. Still get the same require_once/include_once notices show at the top of the screen

To get the most recent beta version please download it from our website: http://next.x-cart.com/

As for the issue: we can't reproduce it on our servers and would appreciate if you report it at http://bt.x-cart.com/ and upload all your log files

Quote:
CUSTOMER SIDE
- all text boxes are very narrow
- no way to create admin and customer account using same email
- after few back and forth with different pages now cart allows for same email for admin and customer account
- now shows I am logged in but at check out I still have the new customer block and the login block
- it seems like every time you enter email and check the box "create account" on checkout page an account is created - this is not good behaviour - many customers will do this just to see what happens and the store can end up with many "fake" accounts for no reason
- address shows as - address, country, state, city, zip - anyone thinks this is wrong? no way to change how this info shows or what to show, at least I could not find where to do that
- checkout page - asking for shipping address only - this is the other way around from what it should be; billing address comes first and then you can have "same as billing" or not for shipping address; but asking to fill out shipping address first is like building a house and start with the roof then pour the foundation
- with all the ajax in this version "terms" link on checkout page opens new browser window with the whole store instead of popup with "terms" only
- print invoice button doesn't open the invoice page anymore but the print dialog

ADMIN SIDE
- environment in admin still says LiteCommerce
- again missing important order statuses - cancelled, backorder, refunded
- this is very important - "Importing will overwrite the existing product information. This operation connot be undone." and "The importing starts immediately upon selecting the data file. " - so first there is no data check if it complies or not with XC Next format and second - does this means now all the information has to be included in the import file? if we want to import and change products prices and quantity only we have to include all the other info as well in the import file? If some column is not included will it be overwritten with default values?
- there is no export - only products data can be exported - I will assume that only products data can be imported then

MISC
- XC Next has session issues just like XC 4.1.x - using same browser to login to admin then in different tab load customer side it shows as logged in - log out from customer side and you are logged out from admin as well
- log in as admin and go to store in different tab - go to checkout - fill out an email and check "create an account" - the login email for the admin account you are logged in with is replaced with the email entered on customer side - now your admin account has different email as login
- Why a lot of css classes, variables and constants are refer to as LC_something
- Why again the main page is not index.php/.html but cart.php (see htaccess)
- Hard coded phones # in phones.tpl
- <font> tag used in phones.tpl

Narrows boxes - please could you let us have some screenshots? What browser do you use?

When XCN Admin goes into the storefront he behaves like a regular registered customer. So you don't need two user accounts having the same email to test your shop. This is not a session issue.

Yes, only products data can be exported/imported.

I believe that replacing "LC_something" in the source code with "XC_something" is not the thing that we should spend our time on right now.

What is the problem with "cart.php" registered as the directory index from .htaccess?

You can configure the "terms" link to lead to any page you want. For example, to a page added by Drupal or SimpleCMS module, or to a PDF file on your server. That's why it is not a popup div.

I know that displaying the country field below the state field is OK in US, but for the rest of the world it looks weird. There is no ability to reorder the fields yet, but I've added it to the list of short-term improvements.

The print dialog allows a preview to be shown on some computers. It prints the invoice only.

As for order statuses: what should happen when the order status is switched to "cancelled", "backordered" and "refunded"? Should this trigger an e-mail to the customer and affect the inventory stock?

We display the sihpping address first because in most cases customers want to see the total order cost (including delivery charges) before choosing the payment method and going further. We believe this won't be a problem for customers at all.

Importing/updating products: there is no a "data checking" step, if something in the file is wrong, it will go directly into the database. You don't need to specify all fields, having the product name and either ID or SKU will be enought: for the missing fields the import script will use default values for new products and will keep the values from the database for existing ones (the script searches products by the ID first, and, if it can't find the ID, it searches for the SKU then).

I've reported the following ones as bugs:
- I am logged in but at check out I still have the new customer block and the login block
- it seems like every time you enter email and check the box "create account" on checkout page an account is created - this is not good behaviour - many customers will do this just to see what happens and the store can end up with many "fake" accounts for no reason
- environment in admin still says - LiteCommerce core version: 1.1.0-beta
- the above is even worst - log in as admin and go to store in different tab - go to checkout - fill out an email and check "create an account" - the login email for the admin account you are logged in with is replaced with the email entered on customer side - now your admin account has different email as login
- <font> tag used in phones.tpl - depricated
- Hard coded phones # in phones.tpl

You can follow the tickets to get updates on them:
- http://bt.x-cart.com/view.php?id=42032
- http://bt.x-cart.com/view.php?id=42033
- http://bt.x-cart.com/view.php?id=42034

Quote:
Originally Posted by totaltec
I think the minimum requirements stated on the Litecommerce page are wrong. You need PHP 5.3.0 and MySQL 5.1.31

We've updated the requirements page:
http://next.x-cart.com/server-requirements.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by David-Allan
The only real think that could have been better was the permissions instructions but they just needed to be structured better so that its easier to paste them in to your terminal to fix the permissions before install.

We will check how this can be improved.

Quote:
I have noticed that XCN doesn't have Worldpay as a payment method. This hopefully will be resolved once we come out of beta but this is something we require if we are to use XCN for our live site. Do you know if this will be added xplorer?

A Worldpay integration module is not in our plans for the near future. If someone develops the module we would be happy to list it in our Module Marketplace. Please let me know if you want to participate in this.

Again, thank you all for your time and testing X-Cart Next!

The following 3 users thank xplorer for this useful post:
ADDISON (08-21-2012), cflsystems (08-21-2012), totaltec (08-21-2012)
Old 08-21-2012, 06:12 AM

eXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplorer
A Worldpay integration module is not in our plans for the near future. If someone develops the module we would be happy to list it in our Module Marketplace. Please let me know if you want to participate in this.

You do realise that worldpay is ran by one of the UK's largest banks and from what I have read on this XC forums it is used by the majority of UK XC users as their payment method.

I'm really disappointed to hear that this won't be included in XCN and I can guarantee we won't be changing to XCN unless this is included. There would be major changes to our companies finances if we had to change our merchant account just so we can use XCN.

Whats the point of adding VAT functionality but not royal mail shipping or one of the biggest UK payment gateways?

I was really looking forard to testing XCN to see the great changes that have been made but to be honest the three things we really wanted to see in XCN are missing.

1 : More order statuses
2 : UK Shipping eg. Royal Mail
3 : Ability to change layout of homepage with ease

Guess we will just have to continue to use XC unless I can find another cart that has the feature we require.
Ability Theme
CDSEO
xCMS
Abandoned Cart
Food Packaging Scotland
Old 08-21-2012, 11:33 AM

X-Adept

Quote:
You do realise that worldpay is ran by one of the UK's largest banks and from what I have read on this XC forums it is used by the majority of UK XC users as their payment method.

I'm really disappointed to hear that this won't be included in XCN and I can guarantee we won't be changing to XCN unless this is included. There would be major changes to our companies finances if we had to change our merchant account just so we can use XCN.

Whats the point of adding VAT functionality but not royal mail shipping or one of the biggest UK payment gateways?

I was really looking forard to testing XCN to see the great changes that have been made but to be honest the three things we really wanted to see in XCN are missing.

1 : More order statuses
2 : UK Shipping eg. Royal Mail
3 : Ability to change layout of homepage with ease

Guess we will just have to continue to use XC unless I can find another cart that has the feature we require.

Not to bothered about the Worldpay as I use Sagepay, however I do agree with you on all points, Wordpay/Sagepay and Royal Mail are the main ones in the UK, I guess x-cart don't really care about us UK customers. It's a shame really, I wonder who do there market research...
   X-Cart forums > News and Announcements