Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

CloudSearch service for X-Cart has been released

X-Cart forums > News and Announcements

Old 02-24-2013, 08:44 AM

X-Guru

Default Re: CloudSearch service for X-Cart has been released

Hi Nikita,
I think the version that must be used is the version that came with 4.5.5 if you want the upgrade to go without warnings, yes?

We all appreciate the new module packs that you provide -- and not having to time it out to xcart upgrade cycles is better for everyone. Thank you.

HOWEVER -- once x-cart says, "version 4.5.5 is now released" the latest module pack should have the identical files as the latest x-cart. I think.

The issue here is versioning and copyright notices, NOT the code (which is, obviously, identical).

What hung up the upgrade script was the copyright notices and versioning.

I hate to rant in your thread -- your mod just happened to be the first on the list!

Thanks,
J
Old 02-24-2013, 01:55 PM

X-Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikitaP
If you downloaded module distribution from your file area and/or cloudsearch.x-cart.com and installed it in place of your built-in module (in case you had one) then you just don't need to upgrade CS using X-Cart upgrade packs.

Nikita,

I re-read what you wrote, and I need to point out that the X-Cart upgrade packs do not give the option of including CloudSearch (or not). We have no option.
At least for the 4.5.4 to 4.5.5 goldplus upgrade pack, there is no option.
The "latest" CloudSearch (1.1.0) is bundled in the 4.5.5 upgrade, however it has different headers and copyright vs. the 1.1.0 distribution.

THIS is what I was complaining about. The x-cart engineer that assembled the 4.5.5 distribution made CHANGES to the CloudSearch files without changing the module distributive. This makes for two versions (even though the code is identical) but you understand what happened.

Multiply this by 2800 files. Fun, huh?
Old 02-25-2013, 05:40 AM

Hi Jeremy,

Talking about CloudSearch specifically I guess that I could update file area distributions just after every X-Cart release.

However I think that this will not always solve the problem. One can just forget to update his/her CloudSearch files before doing the upgrade. Not to mention that we will need to introduce a new version number of CloudSearch for that step.

If we can work out a reasonable solution that will help upgrading CloudSearch modules more flawlessly, I will be glad to discuss it.
Qualiteam Software Limited.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:45 AM

X-Guru

Nikita,

I think all X-Cart modules - IF THEY ARE BUNDLED with X-Cart, need to follow identical file naming and versioning conventions.

There should only be one set of "the latest version" files.

In the case of a module that is available without X-cart as well as bundled with X-Cart, it is then tricky -- since for those of us who upgraded THIS module as soon as you released it, our version is "the latest" - but the versioning for X-Cart supersedes the versioning of the module, even thought the code is identical.

Shouldn't the file version be sufficient, and if there is an omission (leaving the words, "All Rights Reserved" off the module's files) - then you roll out version 1.1.1 to solve this "omission" ?

Then, everyone has version 1.1.1 - and version 1.1.1 is also the version in the x-cart distro. Done. What is pigheaded by "X-Cart" is that the main distro appears to have changed internal versioning just because it can. If that happens, then you have to rename your individual mod files to be in sync. SO then whatever is in the mod's file area is identical to the latest distribution from X-Cart.

That's the danger/benefit of the bundle!

The current CloudSearch files should have become vers 1.1.1 to match the "changes" that the 4.5.5. distribution made -- and the version in 4.5.5 should be identical.

Yes, complicated, but that's what spreadsheets are for, right?

You can also make a note that 1.1.1 is identical to 1.1.0, except for copyright notice... so that people don't feel the need to upgrade. Yes? But the version inside the 4.5.5 distro should have been called, 1.1.1, yes? SO now it's a mess. Hopefully you guys will sort this for the next time.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:25 AM

Thank you for your suggestion, however I don't think that's really a good idea - to have another 1.1.1 which is just like 1.1.0 but is built-in with X-Cart. It doesn't actually solve the problem that it tries to solve, instead it introduces another.

What I'd like to note here is that the problem of updating X-Cart module from multiple sources/mixed states can hardly be solved automatically in general. If you update one thing from one source you are changing it's state and another update which expects the system be in some specific state fails. However it is not a big problem for CloudSearch module (taking into account benefits of having a possibility to upgrade it separately from X-Cart installation), because there are very simple installation instructions:

For now the latest version of CloudSearch is 1.1.0. If you are an owner of the older version you can download the new version here http://cloudsearch.x-cart.com/static/cloudsearch-xcart.tgz (or from file area, or get it from latest X-Cart distribution - 4.5.5 - they all are identical). And just overwrite the files you already have. That's it. You now have CloudSearch 1.1.0. And don't forget to look into this thread - new version announcements will be here
Old 03-03-2013, 02:41 AM

X-Adept

Quote:
Hi,

This customization can surely be done and it is quite simple. You need to pass an empty string as a description for each product. In modules/Cloud_Search/func.php:

Code:
- lng.descr AS description, - lng.fulldescr AS fullDescription, + '' AS description, + '' AS fullDescription,

Thank you for this Nikita, I have changed it is both locations (in the version check) yet I still have had no success (it still searched the descriptions) .

I have installed the the demo on a 4.3.2 site and have noticed that it is a touch slow to initialise when the page is first loaded - also the search results background is transparent (in IE so it's hard to see what the results are)

I'll have a dig around see see if another element is causing this to load slowly but can you confirm it works in IE?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBM_
Thank you for this Nikita, I have changed it is both locations (in the version check) yet I still have had no success (it still searched the descriptions) .

I have installed the the demo on a 4.3.2 site and have noticed that it is a touch slow to initialise when the page is first loaded - also the search results background is transparent (in IE so it's hard to see what the results are)

I'll have a dig around see see if another element is causing this to load slowly but can you confirm it works in IE?

Thanks in advance.

First, you need to wait for the next re-indexation to see changes.

The demo site does work on IE 7-10, could you please send me a link (via PM) to your site so I could have a look?

The following user thanks NikitaP for this useful post:
BBM_ (03-03-2013)
Old 03-03-2013, 03:22 AM

X-Adept

Quote:
First, you need to wait for the next re-indexation to see changes.

The demo site does work on IE 7-10, could you please send me a link (via PM) to your site so I could have a look?

Thanks I thought I may have to wait for the changes, I have also sent you a PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:23 PM

X-Wizard

This is a nice mod, I did the trial for 30 days. However, my shop has 147 products in it and the jump from $59 for 100 products to $249 for 5000 products is too steep and makes no sense. You need something in-between, otherwise count me out.
Apache 2.4
CENTOS 7.8 64Bit Single Quad-Core E3-1241v3 3.4Ghz 8M 1600 w/ HT
32GB RAM 2x 512GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD RAID 1
Old 03-05-2013, 01:37 AM

Hi Everyone,

As a result of working on BBM_'s request, a bug in IE was fixed, CloudSearch module for X-Cart 4.1.x-4.3.x updated to 1.1.1 (owners of newer X-Carts are not affected). No other features was added to it, it is just a maintenance release.

Answering to all users having the similar question as kevinrm had, I would like to state that we're not going to charge $249 from users having slightly more than 100 products. I encourage all clients having slightly higher amount of products than the plan they would like to use allows, to contact me or post a ticket in HelpDesk. We will make a discount

The following user thanks NikitaP for this useful post:
BBM_ (03-05-2013)
   X-Cart forums > News and Announcements