Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Refine Filters module released

X-Cart forums > News and Announcements

Old 02-20-2013, 04:48 AM

X-Cart team

Default Re: Refine Filters module released

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDISON
Let's say as administrator I change some option type. What happens with the Front-End of the visitors? All will have the same issues I reported. I cannot inform them to clear the cookies or start new browser session.

Could this be analyzed and being solved without interfering with visitors?

Only customer's attributes selections and filters sate (expanded or not) are store in their sessions. So if you change a filter type, it will immediately change for customers.

The following user thanks vladimir.gritsenko for this useful post:
ADDISON (02-20-2013)
Old 02-26-2013, 12:49 PM

it seems the filter class value can not be imported by csv like extra field, any idea how to bulk import, thanks

albert
Old 02-27-2013, 01:13 AM

X-Cart team

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertchui
it seems the filter class value can not be imported by csv like extra field, any idea how to bulk import,

For the moment, there is no import facility for filter-specific values. We will think about adding it in the future. If you need it now, we may offer you to implement it within bounds of our custom devleopment service (http://www.x-cart.com/custom-development.html). Feel free to contact us.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:36 AM

X-Adept

Hi Vladimir

Are you going to incorporate any of the ideas I emailed you?

I was playing with the demo any don't like how the products are refined. Can it load the results automatically rather than have the little popup with the amount of products and Show?

Also the filters as they stand on the demo will adversely affect SEO results by creating duplicate urls unless you have made it so Google cant follow your filter mod.

Cheers
Phil
Dedicated SSL

Old 02-27-2013, 01:50 AM

X-Cart team

Quote:
Originally Posted by philrisk
Are you going to incorporate any of the ideas I emailed you?

Phil, our email conversation regarding SEO stopped for some reason. At least, I did not get any reply from you. Please could you re-send it so we continue our discussion on how to implement SEO URLs better. So far there are many pros and cons.

Quote:
I was playing with the demo any don't like how the products are refined. Can it load the results automatically rather than have the little popup with the amount of products and Show?

It's going to be implemented in future versions as an options.

We decided to stay at current serult because many people said they do not want to see blinking of intermediate results before they ended they selection - it distracts.

Quote:
Also the filters as they stand on the demo will adversely affect SEO results by creating duplicate urls unless you have made it so Google cant follow your filter mod.

That's a really good question. One of those we were discussing in our emails. If you remember, my counter questions was like Why we should create SEO-freindly URLs and then prevent search crawlers from seeing them? What's the point?

We may discuss it here if you wish. It would be interested to many forum members I guess.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:15 AM

X-Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladimir.gritsenko
Phil, our email conversation regarding SEO stopped for some reason. At least, I did not get any reply from you. Please could you re-send it so we continue our discussion on how to implement SEO URLs better. So far there are many pros and cons.

It's going to be implemented in future versions as an options.

We decided to stay at current serult because many people said they do not want to see blinking of intermediate results before they ended they selection - it distracts.

That's a really good question. One of those we were discussing in our emails. If you remember, my counter questions was like Why we should create SEO-freindly URLs and then prevent search crawlers from seeing them? What's the point?

We may discuss it here if you wish. It would be interested to many forum members I guess.

Hi Vladimir

Sorry I thought I had replied to your last email. Ref. The SEO urls you want to create these for Google to crawl for say /brand/department/color/ but you dont want Google to crawl a url with multiple filter categories in say /brand/brand/department/color/color/. That would cause too much content in Google with duplicate content. Thats is why we have /norobots/ on the end of those urls so that we can target them with the robots file.

Here is an example of one of our good urls:
http://collectables.co.uk/Fashion-Accessories/department-handbags/brand-kipling/colour-black/
and here is an example of one we dont want crawled:
http://collectables.co.uk/Fashion-Accessories/department-handbags/department-luggage/brand-aubrey/brand-ki...lack/norobots/

I am happy to carry on discussing here and get input from other users. We are spending a lot of time and money on getting our SEO just right and our filters which are still being tweaked have made a huge difference to our traffic and SEO rankings.
Dedicated SSL

Old 02-27-2013, 04:47 AM

X-Cart team

Quote:
Sorry I thought I had replied to your last email. Ref. The SEO urls you want to create these for Google to crawl for say /brand/department/color/ but you dont want Google to crawl a url with multiple filter categories in say /brand/brand/department/color/color/. That would cause too much content in Google with duplicate content. Thats is why we have /norobots/ on the end of those urls so that we can target them with the robots file.

Here is an example of one of our good urls:
http://collectables.co.uk/Fashion-Accessories/department-handbags/brand-kipling/colour-black/
and here is an example of one we dont want crawled:
http://collectables.co.uk/Fashion-Accessories/department-handbags/department-luggage/brand-aubrey/brand-ki...lack/norobots/

Please could you refer me to some article or manual where it's described? Unfortunately, I cannot find anything particular for this method in Google.

Quote:
I am happy to carry on discussing here and get input from other users. We are spending a lot of time and money on getting our SEO just right and our filters which are still being tweaked have made a huge difference to our traffic and SEO rankings.

That would be really great if we could implement something similarly effective in terms of SEO to Refine Filter module.

Let's discuss it.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:23 AM

X-Adept

Quote:
Please could you refer me to some article or manual where it's described? Unfortunately, I cannot find anything particular for this method in Google.

That would be really great if we could implement something similarly effective in terms of SEO to Refine Filter module.

Let's discuss it.

I'm not sure if I have a manual describing that. I might have a best practice document from one of our SEO companies with it in but a lot of our work has come from working with a couple of very good SEO companies at meetings and email conversations.

Some of it is also common sense when you look at duplicate content articles.

For example, why would you want google to rank a link that is promoting two brands? No-one would be searching for that for a start but the second point is that the content shown on that page filtered to two brands would also be shown in two separate pages for the two brands on their own.
ie. /brand_a/brand_b/ showing 20 products, 10 from each brand. This can be seen by Google as duplicate to /brand_a/ and /brand_b/ showing 10 products each which are more relevant pages. The issue is that Google can penalise your two separate pages affecting their ranking because of the joint page.

The art to faceted filters is making Google think that you have lots of relevant content with real urls that people will be searching for, not to just create millions of facets that may or may not get searched. So far with this method Google has indexed approx 500k faceted urls from our filters to relevant content like below.

http://collectables.co.uk/Fashion-Accessories/department-handbags/brand-kipling/colour-purple/

Let me dig through my paperwork and see what I can find to upload.
Dedicated SSL

Old 02-27-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:
For the moment, there is no import facility for filter-specific values. We will think about adding it in the future. If you need it now, we may offer you to implement it within bounds of our custom devleopment service (http://www.x-cart.com/custom-development.html). Feel free to contact us.

since this mod is work like extra field function, and most store have thousands items, it's not good to ask your customer to add it manually one by one.

this mod is expensive and it should have import function like extra field, this is no way for me to pay additional. i really don't recommend to buy this mod, should consider other power filter mod.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:36 AM

X-Cart team

Quote:
I'm not sure if I have a manual describing that. I might have a best practice document from one of our SEO companies with it in but a lot of our work has come from working with a couple of very good SEO companies at meetings and email conversations.

I understand that SEO is a new alchemy and it's really hard to guarantee good results but there are some practices documented over the internet which are muct have for those who care about search rankings. One of those practices is preventing dupliacte content. The only method I heard so far is using canonical URLs (http://support.google.com/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=139394). Still it's used when both pages are needed for sutomers but only one must be shown to Google.

Please could you ask your SEO consultant to bring some light to using "/nofollow/" in the end of URLs?

Also, X-Cart already have pages for separate producs, category's products and manufacturer's products. Why are you sure Google won't treat these new filter pages as duplicates?
   X-Cart forums > News and Announcements