Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

quick hack to eliminate thumbnail image jaggies (libgd req)

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions

Old 10-24-2005, 02:53 PM

X-Guru

Ooops , try...

Code:
#imagecopyresized($thumb_img, $photoImage, 0,0,0,0, imagesx($thumb_img), imagesy($thumb_img), imagesx($photoImage), imagesy($photoImage)); imagecopyresampled($thumb_img, $photoImage, 0,0,0,0, imagesx($thumb_img), imagesy($thumb_img), imagesx($photoImage), imagesy($photoImage));

Find this code and swap out the # comment also.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:04 PM

X-Adept

Hi Cam,

I'm sure it'll be worth it in the end. As for the unsharp php- I think the function could be added during the generation with Boomer's code. But, perhaps he can see exactly much easier than my trial and error methods.

I just know that our forum has this and it generates great looking thumbnails. So I checked the image code. Quite bizarre that this hasn't been released as a complete mod with so many people wasting all the bandwidth serving images.

- Mike
Old 10-24-2005, 03:07 PM

Advanced Member

That did not make a noticable improvement. Does it matter what combination is active? For example

ImageAntiAlias($photoImage, true);
and
imagecopyresampled($thumb_img, $photoImage, 0,0,0,0, imagesx($thumb_img), imagesy($thumb_img), imagesx($photoImage), imagesy($photoImage));

or

ImageAntiAlias($photoImage, true);
and
imagecopyresized($thumb_img, $photoImage, 0,0,0,0, imagesx($thumb_img), imagesy($thumb_img), imagesx($photoImage), imagesy($photoImage));

or does that not make a difference?
Old 10-24-2005, 03:19 PM

X-Guru

ImageAlphaBlending() & imagecopyresampled() would be the two calls to make to resample the image properly. I had this issue on a different server, this is why the two other functions call I left in. More than likely the answer lies in the GD library docs:
http://us3.php.net/manual/en/ref.image.php

hope that helps.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:01 PM

Advanced Member

I got this resolved. It was not a problem with your code, your code works great!!! What I had done is some how managed to set the height and width values (that you had set at 75) to 7. Yet I was calling up the image at 80 in x-cart.

This is what happens when stupid people play with powerful toys!!!

Thanks for all your help and for this great mod. I will be trying out the php script to get all of the images reset in the next couple of days i will let you know how it turns out.

Cameron
Old 10-25-2005, 04:28 AM

Advanced Member

Default second thumbnail

Hi Boomer and co

This is a great mod - so thanks very much for sharing it

How difficult is it going to be to also resize the uploaded image, so that a member of staff can upload any image they have, and it creates a thumbnail for product listings etc of 70px width, but also resizes the main image to be 200px, with that image being used when people view the actual product page?

Any suggestions for code to achieve this please?

thanks
steve
X-Affiliate
X-AOM
ez-checkout
ez-upsell
--------------
Old 10-25-2005, 04:46 AM

If you have (and you should have something for image manipulation) Photoshop or Macromedia Fireworks you can "batch" resize your images. I created 1000 thumnail images in about 30 seconds w/fireworks
Old 11-01-2005, 02:50 PM

Advanced Member

Default image resizing

Yeah, but I find that some colleagues who are perfectly capable of doing everything else to add a product just don't get images - they don't see that a pixellated image, or one that hasn't maintained the ratio when being resized is not acceptible.

I'd love to be able to adapt this mod so that it creates two resized images - one at say 300x300 for the main product view, and one at 150x150 for the category list view - that would save a lot of my time redoing images and explaining why i had to!

cheers
steve
X-Affiliate
X-AOM
ez-checkout
ez-upsell
--------------
Old 11-02-2005, 01:55 AM

Advanced Member

Greetings Folks,

This Mod appears to be what I need to solve my image probs; but I am new to X-Cart, and am definitely NOT a programmer.

However, I am not afraid to get my hands dirty; but obviously, I don't want to screw the system and have to completely re-install.

Before I take a crack at it, can a kind person tell me whether or not this mod has been released as a complete fix - either commercially, or as a free offering, please ?

With Thanks,

Mike.
Linux
PHP 4.4.3
MySQL 4.1.19- standard

Home PC Dev:
X-Cart Gold 4.1.3
Uniform Server
PHP 5.1.1
MySQL server 5.0.17
MySQL client 4.1.7
Web Server Apache/2.0.55 (Win32)
Old 11-02-2005, 02:22 AM

X-Adept

I have a Mod that will allow you to upload one large image for the product and it will dynamically generate new images for the Product page, the Thumbs for the product listing pages, thumbnails for the shopping cart and also a popup for a detail - all from one large image. It will also do the same with Detail images, creating small thumbnails for the detail images and a popup from them. All the dimensions for each are also configurable from within Admin.

This will handle JPG, GIF and PNG images and also applies an unsharp mask to the thumbnails that it generates so that they are not blurry.

This makes image management much easier and you do not have to worry about resizing in an application such as Photoshop. You would also not have to worry about creating and uploading multiple images.

Let me know if anyone is interested.
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions