Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

X-Cart v4 licensing and it's reusing in new businesses

Closed Thread
   X-Cart forums > News and Announcements

Old 02-25-2013, 02:07 AM

X-Cart team

Default Re: X-Cart v4 licensing and it's reusing in new businesses

> i have about 10 x-cart gold licenses, all used at temperally domains.
> it is unfare if we change domains and you charge again!!!

No need to worry with that. Since license domains are temporal you still have the right to change the URL free of charge. Let me repeat - we are not charging if you are changing your license domain name from a temporal one to the production name.
X-Payments product manager
Old 02-25-2013, 02:12 AM

X-Cart team

re: CFL Systems

Quote:
Let's say that I have XC Gold license store. Then I decide to purchase XC Gold+ upgrade. But then things fall apart or for whatever reason I don't use the Gold+ upgrade, no issues, no refund, I want to keep the Gold+.... QT sets my license to Gold+. If I move my store, or change domain or anything that requires to register the store again - the registration will fail - and I have to look at the ugly licensing message in admin even though the software was paid for. Reason - license is set at Gold+ but I am using Gold. According to QT there are 2 ways to fix this - either upgrade the store which may not be very suitable or could be very expensive OR tell them to change the license to Gold in which case I will lose the software for which I paid....

That's a use case we didn't think about before implementing this change. I'll discuss this internally to work out a solution, but it won't be really fast as involves a couple of technical changes in our HelpDesk system.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:06 AM

eXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambal

No need to worry with that. Since license domains are temporal you still have the right to change the URL free of charge. Let me repeat - we are not charging if you are changing your license domain name from a temporal one to the production name.

how to judge a shop is using a temporal or production name!? what do you think http://www.prescriptionglasses123.com/ ? it's a temporal or production name?
same as http://www.glassesadvisor.com, http://www.prescriptionglasses123.com, and http://www.aajj.net/, how about them?

you'd better do not charge your old customers before you made the desicision. you can charge your new customers!!!!
Old 02-26-2013, 12:40 PM

Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambal
That's a use case we didn't think about before implementing this change...

So the changes to policies are already a fact? Can we have a complete log of changes and how they affect existing XC owners. Thanks
Old 02-27-2013, 11:36 AM

X-Wizard

Quote:

Hi Ambal -

If we have unused licenses, can't we just keep them installed using a version before you had a live registration, or leave it unregistered. Then, when we are ready to use it, we could register it and hopefully transfer it?. Then we have one change after that, before fees kick in. It is not clear to me why I have to worry about temporary or production names for a URL of a site not in use that I am holding for future use.

---
Old 02-28-2013, 12:58 AM

X-Cart team

> So the changes to policies are already a fact?

Yes, they are.

> Can we have a complete log of changes and how they affect existing XC owners.

The only change is the one we announced here.

> If we have unused licenses, can't we just keep them installed using a version
> before you had a live registration, or leave it unregistered. Then, when we are
> ready to use it, we could register it and hopefully transfer it?. Then we have one
> change after that, before fees kick in.

Yes, you can just keep your temporal installations un-registered provided you do not remove our evaluation marks and register them when you are ready to use them. The free one time domain change starts counting after you register your installation in a license entry in your HelpDesk account.

> It is not clear to me why I have to worry about temporary or production names
> for a URL of a site not in use that I am holding for future use.

You should not worry about that.

The following user thanks ambal for this useful post:
gb2world (02-28-2013)
Old 02-28-2013, 05:28 AM

X-Wizard

[quote=ambal]> So the changes to policies are already a fact?

Yes, they are.

> Can we have a complete log of changes and how they affect existing XC owners.

Time to fire your legal council isn't it?
Old 02-28-2013, 01:31 PM

Veteran

Now the way this is done everywhere where someone can take action is:

I buy a product that comes with certain limitations, usage policy, licensing policy, etc. All this applies to that product (or service) at the time I agree to purchase or start using it. That's fine.

2 years later I am tired of this product (service) and want to upgrade it or replace it with another from the same company - the new product (service) will come with new license, limitations, usage policy, etc. I can accept it or not which will affect my ability to use it or not.

Now let's go back to XC. QT promises FREE upgrades for live. This is in any agrrement there was for XC and on the website as well. XC now has different products line.

Now lets make a difference here - going from 4.4.5 Gold to 4.5.4 Gold is an upgrade within same product which should be FREE and it should be bound by the same limitations, usage policy, licensing, etc as the original purchase. On the other hand if I want to upgrade from 4.4.5 Gold to 4.5.4 Gold+ - this is an upgrade to new product, there is a fee to get the additional features, there can (not necessary though) be change in limitations, usage policy, licensing, etc. to enforce what is happening here. If I do not agree with the new product policy changes then I can just stay with the product I have.

But you need to make a difference between an upgrade within same product and an upgrade to different product. I know QT will argue that an upgrade from 4.4.5 to 4.5.4 regardless of Gold or Gold+ is an upgrade to a different product since 4.5.4 introduces new features.... and that may be correct.... and this is another reason why it has been sayd many times - do not release minor versions with new features, only bug fixes

The fact of the matter is this thread here was not started to ask about what we think - this was started to inform us of what was already decided and will be enforced. It is QT's business after all how to run their company, for good or bad

I have a cart on 4.2.1 and I want to upgrade it to 4.5.x and I will. Should this upgrade change my original purchase agreement? Maybe it should since 4.2.1 is way too old and 4.5.x is really with a lot more features now. But if I want to stay on 4.2.1 or go to 4.2.3 my original purchase agreement should be the one to apply, not these new rules. I think the majority of the complains here is that you guys are changing the original purchase agreement on existing store....

QT is in business to make money just like the rest of us and they desrve to get paid for what they do. I don't have a problem if I have to pay an upgrade fee from 4.2.1 to 4.5.x but some may have that problem since the old version was bought and is bound by an agreement that allows for free upgrade and license change....

The following 2 users thank cflsystems for this useful post:
Asiaplay (02-28-2013), flyclothing (03-01-2013)
Old 02-28-2013, 07:57 PM

X-Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cflsystems
... I think the majority of the complains here is that you guys are changing the original purchase agreement on existing store...

Exactly - trying to change something, which can't ethically or legally be changed!
Old 03-04-2013, 08:12 AM

Advanced Member

I have purchased almost 200 XC licenses under the old license agreement. I have a specific business model in place because of the original license agreement terms and conditions.

If I am running version XC 4.5 for the next 5 years, and never upgrade, you can not charge me to transfer that license to another domain, especially if you are not going to be offering anymore bug fixes to that license. Stores change their domains many times for various reasons.

The licensing model and pricing need to change to reflect this new transfer policy. The rate needs to be lower for initial purchases and the transfers need to be incremental.

What defines temporary? I have stores who test out XC for 3 - 4 months. I am not going to pay a transfer fee if that store decides not to use XC for the foreseeable future and we registered their domain name.

I am doing business as usual under the old license model.

Ed

http://www.resaleworld.com/store
XCART Gold 4.1.9
Closed Thread
   X-Cart forums > News and Announcements