Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Integration with Vbulletin

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Third Party Add-Ons for X-Cart 4

Old 08-17-2003, 06:33 PM

X-Man

Honestly why all the debate over forum software?

If it does the job for you then it's all you need. Personally I use phpbb2 on a forum that has an average of 10-15 users during any minute on it throughout the day (thats heavy on a shared server!). It runs a dream, it's very friendly to the server when compared to VB. Does the job so I'm happy with it, my forum users are happy with it.

It's a bit like comparing OS-commerce to x-cart, they both do the same thing, one's free one isn't. Why do we use x-cart? Well, because it does what we need in a way we are happy with.

Don't chastise people just because they use something different to you or have different requirements

Used by X-carters the world over:
Marketing Manager Pro Bundle For X-cart
Featured Product Manager for X-cart
Feed manager pro for X-cart

http://www.firetanksoftware.com

Celebrating 7 Years of providing quality X-cart Add ons and X-cart Mods for x-cart 3.X to X-cart 4.4.X
Old 08-17-2003, 06:50 PM

X-Adept

Default ahhhh

oscommerce, aaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh run, hehehehehehe.
Old 08-17-2003, 06:51 PM

X-Adept

I think snorocket forgot to take his medication...
Old 08-17-2003, 07:15 PM

X-Adept

I've heard that phorum is even nicer to the server. I can't find the benchmarks for it, though, but phorum is much simpler but still free & PHP/MySQL & regularly updated.
Old 08-17-2003, 07:16 PM

Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovico
Honestly why all the debate over forum software?

If it does the job for you then it's all you need. Personally I use phpbb2 on a forum that has an average of 10-15 users on it throughout the day. It runs a dream, it's very friendly to the server when compared to VB. Does the job so I'm happy with it, my forum users are happy with it.

It's a bit like comparing OS-commerce to x-cart, they both do the same thing, one's free one isn't. Why do we use x-cart? Well, because it does what we need in a way we are happy with.

Don't chastise people just because they use something different to you or have different requirements

Not chastising anyone, I just think that most people haven't looked at the other options and just assume VB is the best. There are just so many options to choose from, I don't think VB is bad software per se, just too bulky for MY tastes, and of course, our needs, yearnings, and aspirations differ. Now OS Commerce...I tried that before I purchase x-cart and umm..yeah, no comment. I think the very fact that you have to .htaccess your admin dir says it all.
Old 08-17-2003, 07:16 PM

Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpayne
I've heard that phorum is even nicer to the server. I can't find the benchmarks for it, though, but phorum is much simpler but still free & PHP/MySQL & regularly updated.

Phorum is ok, I am more and more impressed with Invision the more I use it though.
Old 08-17-2003, 07:47 PM

X-Adept

Default yea

we like the invision manager, we use it to tranfer files back & forth to offices in other locations and it works great, we hav'nt found one that works better yet and it is a plus being free but if we find something better we'll buy it.
Old 08-28-2003, 01:45 PM

Default VB integration

I have used Invision Power Board, phpBB and VBulletin.

With that said, Vbulletin is a far superior product. The load times which seem to be the only issue have been resolved within the past year. The hacks, mods and outright functionality of Vbulletin is years ahead of the next best in line.

Anyhow I would like the Vbulletin hack as well.

Thanks!
Old 08-28-2003, 04:19 PM

Advanced Member

Quote:
The load times which seem to be the only issue have been resolved within the past year

That is not true, VB3 during load testing was actually WORSE than VB2 by quite a large margin. When was the last version of Invision that you tried, in .2 versions, they managed to grow a lot and mimic the features of VB very well, including the extensive backend, give or take for a few features, but on the other hand, it has some features that VB doesn't have. This is all in a package that is smaller, leaner, faster, and IMO more robust than the VB platform.

What substantiates VB's "superior" position to you?

Edit: And as you can see from above, VB has become the forum package that everything is compared against, it is a great package, and I respect it a lot. But it no longer holds the position it had a year ago IMO, especially with the release of VB3. IPB has for the most part caught up in terms of feel and functionality, phpBB has more mods and aftermarket support, and with the coming of Simple Machines, there will be a new player in the field worth taking note of!
Old 08-28-2003, 04:23 PM

X-Adept

OOPS

Dawing riled up chickenback
MySQL server 5.0.87-community
Operation system Linux
Perl 5.008008
dogbytecomputer.com
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Third Party Add-Ons for X-Cart 4