Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Refine Filters module released

X-Cart forums > News and Announcements

Old 07-31-2013, 10:30 AM

eXpert

Default Re: Refine Filters module released

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDISON
I change my mind after playing with Magento filtering. We need this behavior added to RefineFilter too. There were a lot of complains in this direction, having AJAX.

Glad I have you on my side again

Mods I miss in 5.4.x:
xCMS, Create-A-Sale, On-Sale AC, Kit Builder AC, Manufacturer-A-Z BCSE, Product-Bundle BCSE, Pre-Order BCSE, Customer Quotes BCSE
Old 08-08-2013, 01:28 PM

We recently installed the Refine Filters module. It's working great, but there are a couple of things we would like to see changed, either by a new release or if there is some way we can configure the existing code.

First, we are comparing the functionality of Refine Filters to that of Power Filter by *********. I can say that one BIG advantage RF has over PF, is that RF retains the users selections as they navigate through the site, so thank you for that.

The 2 things we'd like to see changed:

1) Why does the user have to make the selections and then hit a button to apply? In PF, the products change dynamically as the user selects the criteria.

2) Why are the other options greyed out when a user chooses a checkbox? I guess this is related to #1, because the user CAN select multiple checkboxes, but once they click "Show", the other options are greyed out.

To summarize, we sell printers. We'd like to allow the user to select 24", 36" and 44", and have the printers that are all of these sizes display on the right automatically. Then, if they want to deselect 24" and additionally select 60", it should display all printers that are 36", 44" and 60", all without clicking a "Show" button.

Is this possible with a code change on our side? Is this functionality planned in an upcoming release?

Thanks,
Michael
X-Cart v4.6.0
Mods: Refine Filters
Old 08-09-2013, 01:37 AM

X-Man

Refine Filters offers more than any other filtering solution. Trust me, I evaluated all modules available for X-Cart. Some of my ideas are part of this module. For next versions I hope to see a replacement for color with icons (which gives more flexibility and a visual effect to filtering menu) and a new behavior same like in Magento as a few of you asked already.

Here is my reply to your points:

1) For the moment when you click an attribute page is not refreshing like in other filtering modules. This is not wrong, this allows you to make as many selections as you want, when you are satisfied you can click SHOW. This saves time and is not creating visual confusion in your mind. Imagine you have a filter called Diameter (created manually) with values in ranges of 10 (10 .. 20, 20 .. 30). You want to show products with diameter from 10 to 50. Having an AJAX once you click on a checkbox you have to spend almost 4 clicks to get the right content, but this can be achieved in 4 rapid clicks and a button click. It is more flexible. Another example computer cases: I have 20 manufacturers but I would like to filter for 3 of them. Like in Magento I cannot achieve, only one selection is allow for a filter. Refine Filters allows you to check as many boxes as you want for filtering.

2) Gray boxes are there because you have the opportunity to see what combinations you can do based on your selection. Gray means disable, but you see them which is the key of their presence their. If you changed your mind you already have a visual template in your mind what to choose. Refine Filter doesn't hide attributes (if the option is allow) from you which in my opinion is a strong feature for novice visitors.

AJAX is good but only when the number of attributes is very small. In other cases you cannot load the window content just after a click, it is annoying. If you are not convinced I can give you a real example and you agree me. Refine Filters is the main option for X-Cart based on price, updates, features. I am glad all my ideas were took in consideration by Qualiteam.
OS in use: Red Hat Enterprise, Fedora, CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Kali Linux
Ideas for Server configuration (basicaly): Nginx/Pound (reverse proxy), Apache/Nginx (webserver), Squid/Varnish (cache server), HHVM or (PHP-FPM + PHP 5.6 + opcache), MariaDB/Percona MySQL Server, Redis (storing sessions)

You can catch my ideas here: http://ideas.x-cart.com
Old 08-09-2013, 04:44 AM

Thanks for your reply, Addison. I have to disagree though.

I also evaluated the other filter solutions, and ended up modifying Power Filter on another site because it was as close to what we had envisioned. It used links, so i changed these to checkboxes and there were a few other small changes I had to make. In the end, the only thing I couldn't accomplish was saving the user selections from screen to screen. That's still a big issue for us.

You can see my finished work at www.inksandmedia.com - we're trying to emulate something like this through Refine Filters so that we can save the user state.

The only thing I ask is that this direction is considered. It's the same number of clicks, and the user doesn't have to click a button. Everything updates upon selection.

Current Project:
X-Cart v4.6.0

I&M Site:
BCSE Auth.Net DPM/CIM
Old 08-09-2013, 04:56 AM

X-Man

In my case Refine Filters works as I expected. With a few small feature requests I cannot complain.

Visiting your website. I choose Cannon ... wait 5 seconds, I choose Cannon Desktop ... wait 4 seconds. Any attribute takes 3 - 5 seconds. As it is Refine Filters now, I can select all these attributes in one step and apply for seeing the results. Much efficient. AJAX needs cache, if you don't have the cache your attributes take such of long time.

You have a "String(4) "BCSE"" at the top of the page.
OS in use: Red Hat Enterprise, Fedora, CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Kali Linux
Ideas for Server configuration (basicaly): Nginx/Pound (reverse proxy), Apache/Nginx (webserver), Squid/Varnish (cache server), HHVM or (PHP-FPM + PHP 5.6 + opcache), MariaDB/Percona MySQL Server, Redis (storing sessions)

You can catch my ideas here: http://ideas.x-cart.com
Old 08-09-2013, 05:19 AM

I can see your point about the waiting times between the selections. I guess our focus was on the products that the user is presented with on the right and the consistency of the selection process.

I'll see if I can modify the RF module to fit our needs. And thanks for the "String(4)" comment. That was left in during testing and we forgot about it.

I'll keep you updated w/my progress and we'll see if our solution w/the RF caching will work and may be a better consideration for a future direction in development.

Current Project:
X-Cart v4.6.0

I&M Site:
BCSE Auth.Net DPM/CIM
Old 09-12-2013, 06:34 PM

Hi,

Is there any way to have it default to only show In Stock items? We would like to use this on our shop's homepage, and don't want to promote sold out items there. (And also don't want users to have to manually make this choice.)

An "only show In Stock items by default" checkbox in the admin site would be ideal.

thanks!
Old 10-09-2013, 06:48 AM

X-Cart team

Good news, everyone!

We've implemented long-awaited instant AJAX-reload for products list while setting the filters and import/export feature for filters related info. There are also several smaller enchancements and a few bugfixes. The up-to-date module packages are available in the FileArea section of your HelpDesk account.

The following user thanks vladimir.gritsenko for this useful post:
ADDISON (10-10-2013)
Old 10-09-2013, 06:50 AM

X-Cart team

Forgot to say, the module online demo (accessible from this page: http://www.x-cart.com/extensions/modules/refine-filters.html) is also updated to the latest version with AJAX-reload enabled.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:59 PM

X-Adept

Hi Guys,

I have been looking at the module with interest and just have a question regarding the functionality of it please.

I am developing a clothing store and would like to use this feature on the homepage to filter by colour and size - however from my understanding this will only work on a category level and lower?

In my situation it would be a store wide filter, or category based if the customer chooses.

Is this a standard feature of this module?

Thanks in advance
   X-Cart forums > News and Announcements