Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Duplicate charge issue with Authorize.net DPM

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Third Party Add-Ons for X-Cart 4

Old 10-14-2011, 11:22 AM

X-Wizard

Default Duplicate charge issue with Authorize.net DPM

Is anyone else seeing intermittent issues with duplicate charges while using the Authorize.net DPM?

The problem can manifest itself a little differently - but always there are two charges in authorize.net that display time stamps within minutes of each other, and increment the x-cart invoice by one - the order is a duplicate. The first order usually is settled successfully in Authorize.net, but it typically sends back a fail code of "A duplicate transaction has been submitted". The second order sometimes settles successfully in Authorize.net, sometimes not.

I do have tickets open with BCSE (whose mod we are using to connect to DPM) and with Authorize.net. but it appears either the customer or something else is submitting the order more than once, and Authorize.net can mix up the error code sent back to X-Cart. I have seen that there can be a moment after the submit button is selected while the DPM is doing its thing. But I did not think the button would be selectable for dual submission of the same order.

It appears to be happening more frequently and is causing the shop owners to have to monitor all the transactions and clear up duplicates before the customer sees them. In some cases, the customer receives notice of a failed order and either abandons or tries again - further complicating things.

---
Old 02-15-2012, 08:40 AM

Advanced Member

Default Re: Duplicate charge issue with Authorize.net DPM

Did you ever get this problem resolved? We are thinking of changing our processor and moving to this solution.

We are having similar issues, among others, with our current processor. So it would be interesting to see if this was a one time thing or a recurring issue.

X-cart Version 4.1.9
Old 02-15-2012, 12:31 PM

X-Wizard

Not really resolved - but the potential for a fix is there.

BCSE provided an estimate to fix the order submit button so that it cannot be double pushed when the order has been submitted. But the client who this is happening to the most believes this should be part of the product functionality and does not want to pay more. Instead - the work around was to add text on and around the submit button warning people not to push the button twice - which has significantly cut in to the number of occurrences of dual charges for her. (Not very clean, but that is what she wants for now.)

We have also gotten reports of very intermittent "Order Not Finished" emails going to customers, when everything has been properly charged at Authorize.net and X-CART reports the order as processed. I suspect there are some outlying cases in the communication of DPM with X-cart. But, they happen so infrequently that the associated hassle has not risen above the expense of resolving them

So - overall - when compared to the expense of X-Payments, DPM + the BCSE interface probably has been the better path. But - it has not been 100% robust. Also note no one else is reporting this, so there could be some relationship to the different servers where we have observed this

---
Old 02-15-2012, 08:54 PM

Advanced Member

Thanks. That is really good to know. We're using Altered Cart's One Page checkout, which will replace the submit button with a progress indicator once the button has been submitted. I don't recall if it behaves that way for all payment methods. (I would assume it does).

We're trying to decide between AIM+DPM versus a custom iframe solution for our current processor. So I appreciate the info.

X-cart Version 4.1.9
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Third Party Add-Ons for X-Cart 4