Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Product Categorising help Needed!! Kinda tricky

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design

Old 07-30-2006, 01:00 PM

Advanced Member

Default Product Categorising help Needed!! Kinda tricky

Hello everybody,

Firstly thanks for checking my post and for helping me yet once again!

Now lets cut to the chase, heres my problem:

In my store, I will be selling used products on behalf of other people. Now these products will come in three different conditions. Once I receive a product to sell, I have 6 months to sell it and if it isnt sold I will return it to the person. Logically I will want to sell the product I have had the longest for, first.

Now what I basically (or not so bascially) want is that the customer, when he chooses a product, has to choose the condition (which will change the price, worse condition, lower price, each condition associated with one price). At the same time on the back end, I want to input all my stock in a way that for each product, I can input x units for each product condition. However each unit needs to have a unique sku because they need to be differentiated.

Hmm, sounds a little waffled but I wouldnt know how else to put it. If I have left anything unclear please let me know.

I am really greatful for any help you can give me and if it is even just pointing me in the right direction.

Thanks a lot guys!
Webserv :: Apache 2.0.53
mySQL :: 4.1.10
PHP :: 4.3.10
Old 07-30-2006, 01:31 PM

You can setup a product option to do this. Make sure you use product variant. Once you have created one, go back to product options menu and then at the top, you will see product variants. click on that and you can then edit the SKU, prices, etc.
X-AOM
X-Product Comparison
Old 07-30-2006, 01:32 PM

X-Guru

Do you absolutely have to link your cart with the actual item (as far as which item gets shipped)?

The reason I ask is you could do this:

Product 1
variant: condition (flawless, very good, good, been around the block)

You can have 4 SKUs for Product 1. Your inventory will know how many of each variant you have, and not allow a sale of a specific variant if out of stock.

YOU would have to have some kind of databse or tracking system that logs incoming products, ages them, assigns a unique identifier, etc... BUT the SKU that you sell never changes...

Here's an example from my business: every now and then we will change suppliers for a component or part (and the final product may vary in appearance slightly) but our customers will never know this -- we have unique vendor part numbers and finished goods part numbers -- and it only gets tricky when we change a vendor and the product changes slightly, and we want to burn through all the old stock before we sell the new stock... our accounting program allows us to specify locations for the inventory, so we use that to track it.

SO -- my suggestion is to keep your SKUs in the cart static, adjust your inventory as items come in or out, and figure out how to age your inventory, so that the first in is first out. You're not re-inventing the wheel -- it's pretty common in many businesses.

Your cart does not have to be connected to the actual product inventory, only the quantities must reconcile.

Just my opinion. Hope this helps.

Jeremy
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design