Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Set Overall Store Width?

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design

Old 09-14-2010, 12:07 PM

Advanced Member

Default Set Overall Store Width?

OK, guys. Go easy on me. I'm about to ask a really basic question. I am very familiar with HTML and CSS, but Smarty is totally new to me and I can't figure out how to do even the most basic things. It's kind of like starting all over again!

I've read the manuals, but they didn't really tell me what I need to know. I have a new cart set up, but there is some customization I want to do in order to make it look like the rest of the site I am adding it to. One basic problem I can't solve is that the cart is currently wider than the rest of the page. I want it to be 912px wide (right now it's 960).

I think I need to edit the main.css file, but there are dozens of them. I edited a few, but it didn't make a difference.

I also want to change the colors of the blue and orange bands at the top of the cart.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 09-14-2010, 01:19 PM

Veteran

Default Re: Set Overall Store Width?

Make sure you are looking at the correct css file; there is one in "common files/css" - main.css - but almost every skin has its own altskin.css in the skin directory - that is the one you should edit depending on the skin you are using
Old 09-14-2010, 03:58 PM

X-Wizard

It will be very frustrating using trial and error when skinning X-CART. For css changes, using Firefox with the Firebug addon is essential. For tracing which templates are in play - webmaster mode is essential. There is advise and links to helpful "getting started" information in this thread.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:44 PM

Advanced Member

Quote:
Make sure you are looking at the correct css file; there is one in "common files/css" - main.css - but almost every skin has its own altskin.css in the skin directory - that is the one you should edit depending on the skin you are using
That is definitely the problem. I'm just trying to figure out which CSS file I should be editing.

Quote:
It will be very frustrating using trial and error when skinning X-CART. For css changes, using Firefox with the Firebug addon is essential. For tracing which templates are in play - webmaster mode is essential. There is advise and links to helpful "getting started" information in this thread.
No kidding! I have Firebug installed and have looked at the help files. But, honestly, they read much like stereo instructions!
Old 10-22-2010, 11:49 AM

Advanced Member

I was having the same problem, figuring out which files do what and trying to change the width. I'm glad I found this thread.

Reading bg2world's post encouraged me to start playing with firebug and it kicks ass. Firebug helped me figure out which values to change in altskin.css. 3 values had to be changed, but might be different for other skins.

Debug Consul pops up when you have webmaster mode enabled in the back end. I still am not sure how to use that to figure out the template use, but I doubt it will be that hard.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:20 PM

Veteran

If you mouse over the file names in the debug console, it will highlight the area of the site that corresponds to it and vice versa.
Old 10-23-2010, 01:42 AM

X-Adept

Default Does xcart do Flexilbe width instead of fixed width

Rather than specify a fixed width for xcart , is there instead a way in which the width becomes flexible , and will increase in size as you increase the size of your browser window - similar to Joomla fluid widths
php 7.x
Old 10-23-2010, 11:20 PM

eXpert

Default Re: Does xcart do Flexilbe width instead of fixed width

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo1967
Rather than specify a fixed width for xcart , is there instead a way in which the width becomes flexible , and will increase in size as you increase the size of your browser window - similar to Joomla fluid widths

Yes there seems to be a way, I have asked the same question before although I don't think anyone has attempted it yet in xcart. See my thread http://forum.x-cart.com/showthread.php?t=56048

Dan

Xcart version:
4.1.10 GOLD
Old 10-24-2010, 12:27 AM

X-Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creative_Pro_Studio
One basic problem I can't solve is that the cart is currently wider than the rest of the page. I want it to be 912px wide (right now it's 960).

Look in your main.css file at line 239 and below.

You may also need to check your browser style sheet.

Edit: this is for 4.3 but you appear to be running 4.4.
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design