Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Modifying home.php content

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design

Old 07-17-2004, 12:12 AM

Advanced Member

Default Modifying home.php content

You know when you first install the store and see "This is a demo store powered by the X-Cart..." etc. on home.php? How do you change it? I've been through every template and ACP option and it's eluding me to the point of insanity. Thanks.
Old 07-17-2004, 12:15 AM

X-Adept

Hello,

You don't have to modify home.php, do not modify any php files. You need to go to languages and search for welcome- you will find welcome text there which you can change along with other titles and etc.
Old 07-17-2004, 01:05 AM

Advanced Member

Thanks rax, but no dice. I have spent literally all day trying to track this down, going through hundreds of nonintuitive template files of horribly written HTML and commenting every one so I can tell what is rendering which template where, through every page of the language editor (that's right, 119 of them - and swearing every time I scroll to the bottom of the page only to be forced to scroll back up again because there are no breadcrumbs on the bottom of the pages), and just generally wondering why on earth nobody had the fortitude add to a $500 script the ability to conveniently change the content of a store's splash page.

Is this simply a bug in 4.x? Sorry to sound frustrated but I'm literally losing my mind. The best I can guess is the $top_message.content var in dialog_message.tpl is supposed to be handling this content, but I sure can't prove it.
Old 07-17-2004, 01:21 AM

Advanced Member

Well, if nothing else I just figured out that by hacking in:

Code:
<tr><td colspan="4">{include file="customer/main/navigation.tpl"}</td></tr>

...to line 101 of skin1/admin/main/languages.tpl I at least have breadcrumb on the bottoms of language pages now .
Old 07-17-2004, 09:14 AM

X-Wizard

Hey there

This is very easy.

1. Under the Administration menu on the right, about halfway down you'll find the Languages link.

2. Click on this and when the Language page loads, from the top drop-down "select language" choose English and wait for the page to load (you don't need to press anything..)

3. When that page loads, find Select Topic and choose Text. Again, no need to click anything else, just wait for the next page to load.

4. When the Text page loads, you can search for the text you want to replace by pasting a few words of it into the Apply Filter text area and clicking Apply.

5. In this case, you are looking for the Welcome text. When that comes up, put in what you'd like to appear on the page into the Value text field and click Apply Changes.

That's it! If you find sentences or verbiage that you're not thrilled with, you can change them here in the Languages area. Just search using the method I've given and you can find anything.

Edited to add: you can change email verbiage, error verbiage and labels here. It's all located in the Select Topics drop down. If you can't find something in one topic, choose another. Pretty simple!

HTH!
Old 07-17-2004, 10:53 AM

Advanced Member

Hi Cherie. Okay, that makes sense (now that I understand what "apply filter" is supposed to mean anyway; I'll need to change that to say "Phrase Search" or something or my client will be totally baffled). I did go back through all the text launguage pages again just now and indeed found txt_welcome buried on page 29, so looks like I should also hack a link into one of the admin menus for it. There is simply no reason it should be that hard to find.

Thanks for the guidance. The bright side is, during the course of all this I'm am actually on the verge of putting together a skinning tutorial for this thing .
Old 07-17-2004, 04:30 PM

Advanced Member

I have done the above looking for the text of "Privacy Statement" and can not seem to find this... can someone clue me into what the label is for this?

I was able to find the "Label" but not the "text"...

This is on 4.0 .... was able to find it easy on the old version

X-Cart 4.0.9 Gold (In Development)
No Live Site

Server version: Apache/1.3.28 (Unix) FrontPage/5.0.2.2510 mod_ssl/2.8.15 OpenSSL/0.9.7a PHP-CGI/0.1b
Old 07-17-2004, 05:29 PM

Advanced Member

It is named txt_privacy_statement. You can find it by using the same method Cherie outlined above, although it is on page 21 under the "Text" language menu.
Old 07-17-2004, 06:01 PM

X-Adept

For those who dont know the easiest way to make text changes is to switch to webmaster mode. Not only will it show you every single file it takes to make any particular page it also allows you to say edit the text on the front page just by double clicking on the text. Webmaster mode is one of the greatest tools you can use to figure x-cart out and what pages etc to change for any particular page you are on. Just my 2 cents on this.
Old 07-31-2004, 04:30 PM

Default WebMaster Mode - WebMaster Mode - WebMaster Mode

Webmaster Mode is the easiest. Activate it, then just Click on the text you want to change. Woohoo. What a timesaver!
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design