Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Shipping Separate Items / Shipping Cost By Total Weight

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 5 > Dev Questions (X-Cart 5)

Old 05-20-2016, 06:51 PM

Default Shipping Separate Items / Shipping Cost By Total Weight

I am a bit new to using split shipments and also using the useSeparateBox area of the import product options - so I may have missed how to do this...

But I'm trying to figure out how to have each shipment ship by it's own weight instead of the weight of the entire shipment as it seems the USPS module (and tried it for manual shipping options too) see it as a full shipment instead of parts.

If I have 2 items in my cart, weighing .04 lb each it seems to treat it as one first class package and definitely doesn't cover shipping costs.

However if I them weighing .05 each it then takes it to 1lb total and makes a total cost way more than 2 shipments would be.

If one shipment is 1 lb and one is .05lb - shouldn't it have both shipping options (one lower and one higher) and not offer double the entire weight option?

Again, it might be something I missed, but I wasn't sure if this is something that has also been asked before.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:39 PM

X-Guru

Default Re: Shipping Separate Items / Shipping Cost By Total Weight

When using the "useSeparateBox" setting, X-Cart 5 should put that product into its own box with the maximum quantity of units per package set in the "itemsPerBox" field. However, I believe that if the shipping method has some limit on the maximum package weight, XC5 will put the units into multiple packages instead of a single box.

Have you tried to set "itemsPerBox" to 1? This should force XC5 to have one unit of the product per package maximum.

---

User manual Video tutorials X-Cart FAQ

You are welcome to press "Thanks" button
if you find this post useful

Click here to learn how to apply patches

X-Cart Extensions
Old 05-24-2016, 09:10 AM

I will try that thank you!

Also is there a way that all products under a certain class are able to ship together but would not ship with products from another class?

i.e. all products with the class "Shirts" or "Clothing" would ship together but all products under "Posters" would only ship together with other items under the "Posters" class?

Thanks again!
Old 05-24-2016, 09:38 AM

I have just tried this as well.

I added a one .50 lb item (first class USPS mail) and then added one of these separate items (as 1 lb) and it doubled the shipping rate and made both shipments as USPS priority mail instead of 1 being first class and the separate item being Priority

I also changed the weight on the separate item (.3 lb) so it should be 2 separate first class shipments and it just gave the price as one first class shipment. So it seems that it almost works to what we need.

Any other ideas?
Old 05-24-2016, 09:18 PM

X-Guru

Quote:
made both shipments as USPS priority mail instead of 1 being first class and the separate item being Priority

Oh, now I see what you mean. Unfortunately, at the moment customers can't choose more than one shipping method per order, and X-Cart 5 is not programmed to support this.

I didn't dig into the code that far, but I think it is possible to create a module that will force XC5 to use some hardcoded shipping methods for particular products in the cart instead of the method selected by the customer during checkout.

Not a simple tweak that can be explained in the forums though, but a "full-scale" customization.

---

User manual Video tutorials X-Cart FAQ

You are welcome to press "Thanks" button
if you find this post useful

Click here to learn how to apply patches

X-Cart Extensions
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 5 > Dev Questions (X-Cart 5)