Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

set minimum number of characters in search string. HOW PLS?

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design

Old 03-28-2006, 10:32 AM

X-Adept

Default set minimum number of characters in search string. HOW PLS?

By default, in x-cart if you hit 'Submit' in the search field with no search query in the search field, x-cart returns all products listed in the database.

This is not desirable for a number of reasons and I was wondering if you could help me change this to actually set a minimum number of characters required before a search result is returned to the user, thus reducing the number of items displayed.

Or if there is a better solution which is implementable could you suggest what one might do to avoid the aforementioned scenario?

Thanks a heap

Donavichi.
- - -

Website Copywriting || Web Design || FAQs || Home & Garden Blog
Old 03-28-2006, 10:34 AM

I am also anxious for a solution. The closest I found so far involves adding a validator plugin into smarty.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:56 AM

I was able to find something to prevent the blank searches and minimum characters. Set the var minLength to desired character length.

here is the capture section in search.tpl

Code:
{capture name=search} <TABLE border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <FORM method="POST" action="search.php" name="productsearchform" OnSubmit="return submitSearchFrm();"> <INPUT type="hidden" name="simple_search" value="Y"> <INPUT type="hidden" name="mode" value="search"> <INPUT type="hidden" name="posted_data[substring]" value="" id="search_substring"> <INPUT type="hidden" name="posted_data[by_title]" value="Y"> <INPUT type="hidden" name="posted_data[by_shortdescr]" value="Y"> <INPUT type="hidden" name="posted_data[by_fulldescr]" value="Y"> <TR> <TD align="right" valign="middle"> {literal} <SCRIPT language="JavaScript"> function submitSearchFrm() { var minLength = 3; var frm = document.productsearchform; if (frm.search_for.value == "" || frm.search_for.value.length < minLength) { alert ("Please enter a minimum of 3 characters"); return false; } var search_substring = document.getElementById("search_substring"); search_substring.value = frm.search_for.value; return true; } </SCRIPT> {/literal} <INPUT style="border:1px inset #C0C0C0; color:#000000; background:#F4F4F4; height:17px; width:110px;" type="text" name="search_for" size="20" value="{$search_prefilled.substring|escape}"> </TD> <TD align="left" valign="middle"> <A href="javascript: if (submitSearchFrm()) document.productsearchform.submit();void(0);">{include file="buttons/search_head.tpl"}</A></TD></TR><TR> <TD align="center" colspan="2"> {$lng.lbl_advanced_search}</TD> </TR> </FORM> </TABLE> {/capture}
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design